Thread: RockyGrass and Jessie McReynolds

Default RockyGrass and Jessie McReynolds

I've lived in Colorado since '94, but this was the first year I made it to RockyGrass. I went for all 3 days and loved it. I've been to the Telluride Bluegrass Festival, but RockyGrass is more intimate and more traditional.

There were many amazing bands, a lot of them I had heard before, but I never really listened to Jessie McReynolds. He did a special presentation at the outer pavillion with Bela Fleck and Ronnie McCoury. You could tell they were big fans. I couldn't believe it when Jessie said he was 83. He's still impressive as a picker and from the stories and he told, he seemed like a really good guy. Being a long-time Deadhead I was suprised to find out that Jessie's wife was also a Deadhead. I knew that he recently put out a tribute album to the music of the Grateful Dead, but I hadn't given it much thought. I bought the album the same day and it's quite good. He sings with the same sweet emotion that Jerry did.

The next day Jessie and the Virgina Boys played on stage. He really had a pressence up there and had a way with the audience. He played about 4 songs off that tribute album and had the crowd eating out of the palm of his hand. I'm now a fan and just wanted to share.

J.D.

Default Re: RockyGrass and Jessie McReynolds

Yeah, he can still get it on with the mandolin, although he told me a couple of years ago that his grandson Luke is a better crosspicker than he is. Jesse still gets my vote!