Thread: Joe Foley Bouzouki

Default Joe Foley Bouzouki

I have an opportunity to trade a guitar of mine for a Joe Foley bouzouki with a rosewood body and spruce top. It has a pickup and onboard preamp, the only problem is there is a crack on the top that is shown in the attached picture. The crack has not been assessed or repaired by a luthier, and it is unclear whether it is a surface crack or it runs all the way through. Does this look too risky, or irreparable based off of the picture? My guitar I'd be trading is worth about $1000. Thanks so much!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$(KGrHqVHJ!sE+Nl!3hSTBP2Q+rmFBw~~48_20.JPG 
Views:	2025 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	89793

Default Re: Joe Foley Bouzouki

To me, if the zouk has no other issues, even if the crack is all the way through and needs to be repaired, the Foley Zouk will be worth the price of the guitar you're looking to trade. The crack should be easily repaired by a skilled luthier, and shouldn't set you back more than a few hundred bucks.

How much do comparable used John Foley's go for? I can't really seem to find much information on the web about pricing. Just want to get a better idea of what I'd be trading for. So far it seems like a really nice bouzouki. Thanks for your help!

Maybe it's just me but what crude looking tailpiece for a fine instrument.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

Joe Foley Bouzoukis are regarded as the gold standard for Irish traditional music. Previously owned instruments only occasionaly come up for sale, and when they do they make a lot more than $1000. Dave, Joe uses these tailpieces, and while they might be a tad crude looking, they function very well, and make string changing a doddle. I've seen many of them, and I've never seen one with an alternative tailpiece. Its an easy fix though.

As Francis said, Joe makes among the finest Irish bouzouki's available. In the US a Foley bouzouki could easily sell in the $2500 range, if you can find one, and worth every penny. That crack is just a minor insignificance. Easily repairable.

So I did the trade and was wondering if I were to bring it in to a luthier to have it fixed, if there was no damage to the bracing (There seems to be none as the top isnt sinking, but i haven't checked the inside with a mirror and flashlight yet), is it most likely that he'd just rub glue into the crack and clamp it with magnets? Or would he add cleats to it? Would that affect the sound much?

I've been playing it, and it sounds just amazing. You guys were not exaggerating. Other than a good fingerboard cleaning, truss rod adjustment and a change of strings, it's ready to go. I'd be wouldn't want to have anything done to it that might affect how great it sounds.

Different luthiers will approach the repair differently, and you should really take it to someone who has both experience in the repair, and some reputation to boot. A potential buyer who's ready to put down serious money will want to know that whoever did the repair knew what he/she was doing, and that the repair was done well. Maybe even have the luthier document the instrument prior to the repair, the repair process, and what it looks like afterwards. If you spend a little money getting this fixed up right, you should have no trouble finding a happy buyer at the price you're looking for. Right now, with the crack and the condition unknown, not so much.

I'm planning to bring it in to a Luthier in my area in the next few days, I was just curious as to how it would affect the sound. I put it up on the classifieds right now because I'm going to be a student for the next few years and might be needing to let it go if the offer is right, but now I think I'm going to take down the add and keep it. It'll be great for accompanying in an Irish Jam session, and even when I'm doing open mics etc, as a solo songwriter, should be a great conversation piece.

take the zouk and run.
    that's a pretty good deal

I made an appointment with a luthier this friday to have it inspected and fixed. I'm excited to be playing it soon. I might have him replace a few of the frets too since there is a bit of wear on some of lower ones.

Whether you decide to keep it or pass it on, I think you will be very pleased with it once it's fixed, and realize how good of a trade you scored. I had a Foley cittern (10 strings, 5 courses that I tuned GDADA) that I foolishly let go and still regret. Maybe post some pictures post-repair and some sound clips so we can all drool over.

Sounds good! I'll keep you all posted, and thanks for all the advice and help.

Quote Originally Posted by Javan M. View Post
    I have an opportunity to trade a guitar of mine for a Joe Foley bouzouki with a rosewood body and spruce top. It has a pickup and onboard preamp, the only problem is there is a crack on the top that is shown in the attached picture. The crack has not been assessed or repaired by a luthier, and it is unclear whether it is a surface crack or it runs all the way through. Does this look too risky, or irreparable based off of the picture? My guitar I'd be trading is worth about $1000. Thanks so much!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$(KGrHqVHJ!sE+Nl!3hSTBP2Q+rmFBw~~48_20.JPG 
Views:	2025 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	89793
    I have played a Joe Foley Bouzouki since 2005. I bought it new from Joe. The one of the finest instruments I have ever played. I also have a Foley Mandola which I have played since the early eighties, and a Cittern which I dont play that much these days. All great instruments and all custom built left handed. He is a great luthier, the best!!!!

Still waiting to get it back but, the luthier said he put 3 cleats in place.

Awesome, so I got it back and I'll post some sound clips just as soon as I find out what kind of strings to use. I read somewhere that the D'addario irish bouzouki strings weren't the greatest. What gauges of strings should I be using? I'll have to order them in unfortunately because no local shops seem to keep them in stock.

He said he used spruce for the three cleats he added. He also said the crack in the finish made it more noticeable on the outside than from the inside and that the crack was very small and none of the bracing or anything was affected. The instrument sounds great, even with old grimy strings on. I made a little truss rod adjustment (about a quarter of a turn to tighten it) after checking out the neck angle. It seems I got a great instrument.

Are you planning to use unison or octave strings? Most Irish accompaniment bouzouki players use unison strings so I will assume that's what you are after. Unfortunately you will have to make up a set from single ball end guitar strings. Use only ball end because loop end will not work on the Foley tailpiece. I recommend 13-17-26-35 as a good starting point, which I serendipitously discovered is the first four strings of the D'ad. EJ17 set. Get two sets and you will save money as apposed to buying single strings. Each instrument will react differently to various string gauges so play around with the gauges and go up or down to get the right amount of tension you are after. I recommend Strings and Beyond http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/ as a great place to buy single strings and great prices on sets too.

Truss rods are for making adjustments to the neck relief only. A neck reset and saddle height adjustments is the proper way to adjust the neck angle. If you are not familiar with set ups I recommend letting your local luthier do truss rod adjustments because it is just one part of the set up process. You will likely need to adjust the truss rod if the strings you put on are different gauges than what is on there, or if you change the tuning significantly. Here are some tips if you want to try it yourself: To adjust relief get a high quality 2' long metal straight edge, with the strings tuned to your desired tuning tighten the truss rod very slowly until you can just fit a business card between the straight edge and the 12th fret. Adjust from there as necessary based on how aggressive you play. If you hear buzzing back it off and check the action.