Indulge me a brief introduction, since I've been trolling here for a long time but finally had something worth posting. I'm a classically trained french horn player and professional band repair technician. I started playing mandolin 2 and a half years ago because no one ever invites a french horn to jam.
About six months later I got it into my head that a mandola would be cool, and since I had way more time than money, I decided to build one from scratch. I started building last February, mostly a half hour at a time during my lunch breaks. I've hit lots of problems along the way, and have often searched this forum for solutions. I owe this community many thanks for the wealth of helpful information I've found on these threads. It's been a long labor, but I've finally completed my first build. There's many mistakes and things I'll improve upon on the next one (already in the works since I roughed out parts for two), but all in all, I am pleased.
Hopefully I've figured out how to attach pictures on my first try. Here's the specs: Sitka Spruce top with tone bars, Honduras Mahogany back sides and neck, Ebony fretboard, Rosewood bridge, Montelone-style Allen tailpiece, Schaller tuners, 17" scale, Tru Oil finish over alcohol soluble dye. I thought you folks might like to see it.