Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to replace a songbook with an iPad, need to auto-scroll...

Default Re: How to replace a songbook with an iPad, need to auto-scroll..

Maybe, but the iBook route accomplishes the task so easily, which counts for a lot in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    I guess replacing that with an iBook would make for a somewhat "cleaner" onstage look, but it doesn't seem like a substitute for learning the songs so that they can be performed without prompting.

2. The following members say thank you to wsugai for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gino View Post
    ...After all it's about the music right?...
    Well, sorta kinda. It's also about the performance, and what works in establishing contact/rapport with the audience. If all the audience wants is a note-for-note "cover" of the original, well, then they can listen to the recording. In live performance, musicians interact with the audience, hopefully in a positive way; it's a mutual thing.

As a performer, you need to do what you can to maximize the quality of your performance -- to give the audience the entertainment they're expecting. Obviously, playing badly and sloppily detracts from that, so if it's necessary to have the lyrics and chords displayed for your benefit, that's definitely better than playing the music in a substandard way.

But, in most popular and folk-based forms of music, one wants to remove whatever barriers exist between performer and audience. We don't expect audience eye contact with the concertmeister of a symphony orchestra, or even with the conductor, but we do expect the lead singer of a rock or bluegrass band to look at us, recognize that we're there, perhaps respond to our reaction to the music.

Not that you can't do that in the context of "reading" your music, but it is harder. And, like it or not, it seems less professional than having the music -- chords, melody, lyrics, arrangements -- committed to memory, and well enough rehearsed so that the performance "works."

So I think it's more that just the "music"; it's the whole package -- music, stage presence, audience appeal. Just my 2¢.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

I don't necessarily disagree Allen. But it did remind me that I saw Merle Haggard last year in a small venue and he couldn't sing without a TelePrompTer the size of an outdoor theatre screen. I guess the world is changing.
    P.S. I confess I use OnSong

6. The following members say thank you to tashook for this post:

I like onsong, it does everything the OP asked about and does it well
    MAS Fund.......Up and running again

Onsong is your item for this application. Onsong (and songbook chordpro) will accept your files with the square brackets (Chordpro format), and you won't need to create .pdfs. OnSong will take .pdfs, too, but you really want the native chordpro with the square brackets so you can do key changes, etc.

Now send me all your song files!
    Think globally, bike locally.

I have been using Setlist Maker for a year or more now and it works pretty well. I think it can autoscroll, and can sync across multiple devices. It is decent, but there is certainly room for improvement.

I will have to check out Onsong, but at first glance it seems to be based around that horrid chart form where the chords are embedded above the lyrics. I avoid that type of chart whenever possible, especially when dealing with amateur or inexperienced musicians, who are unfortunately the ones who seem to gravitate towards it the most.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelpthompson View Post
    The advice to LEARN your tunes is excellent, but keep in mind that each of us in our own unique situation. Our band, for instance, knows four or five hours worth of music by heart, but I also keep a giant three-ring binder full of material for requests and rabbit trails. My memory for lyrics is not as good as yours, so I do need the crutch from time to time.

I too have seen people out of touch with their audience with their noses in the sheet music, but if the alternative is that they can only play six or seven tunes over and over, one might want to make a compromise. We all have our own ways of doings things and need not feel superior to those who do it diffrently
    I perform solo with backing tracks ( I know , I know ....backing tracks ?? ) at veterans clubs , seniors dances , various smaller private functions where full bands are often unaffordable options . Like you , I have over 300 songs "at the ready" for dancing or requests or sing-alongs , specialty nights ( St. Patty's , Xmas,... whatever ...). I have a terrible memory for lyrics but an ongoing passion for playing music . For years I have included the lyrics on my iPods and LOVE the freedom from packing song books , charts , music stands etc. Works wonderfully ...I enjoy the gigs so much more and , hopefully , that reflects in the performance .

Quote Originally Posted by tashook View Post
    I don't necessarily disagree Allen. But it did remind me that I saw Merle Haggard last year in a small venue and he couldn't sing without a TelePrompTer the size of an outdoor theatre screen. I guess the world is changing.
    P.S. I confess I use OnSong
    I saw Tom Petty a few years ago, and of course, he sang all his classics. The interesting part was that my seats were on the extreme left side of the stage, about even with Petty. From these seats, I noticed that two of the "monitors" on the front of the stage were in fact video screens, which displayed lyrics to every song. From in front of the stage they looked like any other floor monitors.

I use unRealbook & Airturn pedal.
    This is a solid combination.
    Singer-Songwriter
    www.MarcEarl.nl
    Taylor 528e Custom
    Guild M120
    Weissenborn
    Gretsch 5-string Banjo
    Republic Squareneck Reso
    Gibson A1, 1917 Mandolin
    ........ Octave Mandolin

what a great thread
    I have known about onsong and the pedals but simply haven't made the change. Cool to see so many options.

I , like, Allen, think there is a factor regarding performance which makes books and the like a burden and distraction.

My little band of BG nincompoops has a tendency to use the 3 ring as a crutch-new venue, last minute changes, requests, and the ever present 'deer in the headlight' phenom.

I don't know how memory works, but I can sing a song in my sleep and then, given the right circumstances, go blank. I have decent memory for tunes, but we also have about 200 in our repertoire, and often designated singers. So, that means while I may know all the lyrics, only maybe half are "my baby".

I also find, there is this thing about either being in the moment, timing wise, phrasing , that sheet music interferes with-like driving a car or, 'reacting' to directions, processing the information just a bit 'late'.

I also find, as this thread reveals, it is pretty common for bands to use prompts, beyond the set list. I don tknow if that's due to technology, due to old age (BG is Geezerdom, it seems) or, simply too little time to devote exclusively.

As for me, while a lover of tech, I try to do music from memory, " 'cos its good for me". And yeah, I still blank on tunes from time to time, and have developed the ability to make up lyrics until the light goes back on. Never have that blanking issue with actually playing the tune, even in a new key, (hey was that I-IV-V or just I-V??LOL)

.....whatever.......
    Last edited by stevedenver; Apr-16-2014 at 10:21am.

14. The following members say thank you to stevedenver for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hulse View Post
    I have a couple friends who use their ipads for praise & worship church music. I'm not sure which app. It's ideal for changing keys at a moments notice and for a large rotation of songs. I'm thinking about it myself, but I'm not an Apple fan.
    It seems kind of weird to quote myself, but this is more of an update. I now have an iPad and Onsong, soon to get some air pedals. I use mine for church where there is a huge potential pool of songs AND key variations. I do not use it for our Irish folk band, but if I sang more I might consider it. Sort of a poor mans TelePrompTer.
    The registered user formerly known as 1-2-many.

What are you talking about? Practically all chord charts I see have the chords placed above the lyric line.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Booth View Post
    ... that horrid chart form where the chords are embedded above the lyrics. I avoid that type of chart whenever possible, especially when dealing with amateur or inexperienced musicians, who are unfortunately the ones who seem to gravitate towards it the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bunting View Post
    Setlist is another useful ipad app, although I'm using Gigbook a lot now since their latest upgrades. I wouldn't go on stage if I needed anything more than a setlist.
    Geez, Mike. You must be a god with a helluva memory. If I decide to play
    five songs from Blood on the Tracks, I am going to need a little lyric support.

I noticed at an Elton John concert 2 years ago, there were 2 ipads tilted up on his piano's music book shelf and the lyrics to the current song were scrolling. I dont think Elton had trouble engaging with his audience one bit. I think it is a learned skill and some can do it easier than others. When I have up to a one and a half hour gig (or less) and a known set list, I can go without the lyrics book being opened if I have time to review ahead of time. When we play for 3 hours straight, there is a book open in front of me and I refer to it for many of the songs. What I loose in eye contact I feel I more than gain by not flubbing the lyrics. I am playing with people less than half my age and often playing songs I hadnt heard of before one week prior. We gig out 2 , sometimes 3 times a week. I have a loose leaf note book. I'd switch to a tablet in a heartbeat if the display was the same size. We are very mobile and I dont want to have to worry about a pedal to scroll and I'd loose my place with an auto scroll. Old school works best for me so far for this.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

garded

I love Onsong and it's done what I want. Keep track of words/chords. I use it for practice but not on stage yet. It's not that big a deal to poke the screen to start scrolling, just have to make sure the band is ready to go first

What I wish they would come out with is a random set list generator and a practice list generator. The practice list generator would keep track of ones that have not been played and bring them up for us. When you get up around 40-50 songs/tunes it seems ones always fall through the cracks. And once through the cracks seems to get totally lost until we get a request....

I have been using Mobile Sheets for Android, which is not available for iPad.
    It lets me do setlists, collections etc. Automatic scrolling is also possible.

WHAT IS MORE: it works with a Bluetooth pedal to turn pages. I would not want to rely on the right scrolling tempo.
    The pedal is a much niftier solution.
    Maybe you Apple guys find an App that has that pedal capability?
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education - Mark Twain

I'll also vouch for Onsong. Works great.

OnSong works with AirTurn pedals via bluetooth on the iPad, Manfred.
    Tim Mundy
    www.slipperyhill.co.uk
    2002 Gibson F5 Fern
    1920 Gibson A2
    2005 Gibson A5L
    Rigel A+ Deluxe Custom
    1926 Gibson TB1 Tenor Banjo
    1963 Epiphone TF28 Tenor Guitar
    Ovation MM868 Mandocello
    1987 Rob Armstrong Mandolinetto

The thing I find most annoying about these types of apps is that it's tough to get them to automatically scroll at the right speed. That sinking feeling as the screen races ahead or lags behind can be quite disheartening.
    If you want something that is more tightly bound to the rhythm and tempo of the tune, check out BeatPrompter, only available for Android right now though.