Thread: DR 11 strings stockists Europe

Default DR 11 strings stockists Europe

Hi
    I am finding it difficult to find stockists of DR11 medium strings. I am in Ireland.
    Can anyone suggest a stockist of these strings in UK, Europe or even in the US that will deliver to Ireland at a reasonable rate?
    Thanks.

Default Re: DR 11 strings stockists Europe

Hi Noah - I've bought DR strings MD11's & MD12's from ''Bandshop'' - http://www.bandshop.co.uk/ & ''Stringbusters'' - http://www.stringbusters.com/
    The best thing to do is to e-mail them & ask if they'll send to Ireland (why not ?) & the postage. Buying from the EU is ok,but buying in any quantity from the US can be fairly expensive these days,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

3. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

Schneidermusik.de in Germany also have them. If you buy a few sets at a time, the cost per set comes down and the shipping probably isn't too bad.

5. The following members say thank you to PseudoCelt for this post:

I got mine from stringsdirect, which is in the UK, so will most likely ship to Ireland.

7. The following members say thank you to jeho2a for this post:

I've been going through JustStrings in the US. The shipping is pretty good, even on small orders.

9. The following members say thank you to bbcee for this post:

Thanks all for your replies. Much appreciated.

I priced the strings from all the suppliers suggested and Schneidermusik.de came out cheapest, in fact 6 sets plus postage from the suppliers I was buying from in Ireland worked out at 73 euro and to get 6 sets sent from Germany is coming in at 75 euro!

Once again, thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by bbcee View Post
    I've been going through JustStrings in the US. The shipping is pretty good, even on small orders.
    I had just the opposite experience about two years ago. Forgot the exact figures, but the shipping to Germany was huge, believe it was one or two sets in a large box, instead of a small envelope. After that I kept receiving some sort of newsletter/email from them, whereupon, at some point, I explained, why I wasn't ordering anymore (and I'm certainly no bargain hunter), no answer from their side.

Henry - That's the same experience that i had when i used to buy from a well known store in the US. 6 sets of strings,would easily go inside a lightweight Jiffy bag,but no !.They went inside a 6" x 4" x 4" cardboard box,along with a copy of their catalogue & the whole weight must have gone up by 200% = more postage, which becomes part of the total cost on which we pay tax. After the US postal charge price hike,the cost went up by so much,that it was only fractionally more expensive to buy in the UK. I did however conctact the store which had give superb service for several years to explain,& they were very understanding. The most annoying part was that after the strings (or 'whatever') arrived in the UK,they were held by our postal service until i went to collect the goods & to pay the tax + an £8 postal ''handling fee''. These days i buy my strings in the UK, & the store which i use gets them to me by the following day. For me,it can't get any better,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Thanks, Ivan, I also buy my strings here in Germany (Schneider or Thomann) these days. A few years ago, I would order at First Quality, good service and prices. Too bad they are no longer in business.

Henry - A question if i may. Have you ever tried to contact ''Streicholtz Schachtel'' in Bavaria ?. A couple of years ago,i sent several e-mails to them because i wanted to buy one of their ''Matchbox'' mandolin cases. Jiri Lebeda who made my mandolin in the Czech.Republic, used to use them for his mandolins. I never received any response from them at all. I wondered if they'd closed down or are simply lousy at responding !,
    I used to deal with First Quality as well & have a TKL banjo & mandolin case as testimony. They were very good to deal with as you say. It was Janet Davis Music that i used to use, & they too gave second to none service,but,it became too expensive & having to make a 15 mile round trip to pick my goods up from our Post Office,once they'd arrived in the UK was a PITA,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Matchbox Mandolin case.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	145144
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I've had very good service (and excellent prices) from Strings and Beyond in the States. Reasonable postage rates, and they have regular offers on free international shipping. String packages very rarely incur customs duty and VAT, especially for small quantities; I've never been asked to pay any. www.stringsandbeyond.com
    Tim Mundy
    www.slipperyhill.co.uk
    2002 Gibson F5 Fern
    1920 Gibson A2
    2005 Gibson A5L
    Rigel A+ Deluxe Custom
    1926 Gibson TB1 Tenor Banjo
    1963 Epiphone TF28 Tenor Guitar
    Ovation MM868 Mandocello
    1987 Rob Armstrong Mandolinetto

16. The following members say thank you to mandotim1955 for this post:

Agh! I'm an idiot! My positive experience has been with Strings & Beyond also, NOT JustStrings. +1 to what mandotim1955 says, good international shipping offers, small packages, no custom & really helpful people.

There I go, starting rumors again!

18. The following members say thank you to bbcee for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mandotim1955 View Post
    I've had very good service (and excellent prices) from Strings and Beyond in the States. Reasonable postage rates, and they have regular offers on free international shipping. String packages very rarely incur customs duty and VAT, especially for small quantities; I've never been asked to pay any. www.stringsandbeyond.com
    Looks like excellent value. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    Henry - A question if i may. Have you ever tried to contact ''Streicholtz Schachtel'' in Bavaria ?. A couple of years ago,i sent several e-mails to them because i wanted to buy one of their ''Matchbox'' mandolin cases. Jiri Lebeda who made my mandolin in the Czech.Republic, used to use them for his mandolins. I never received any response from them at all. I wondered if they'd closed down or are simply lousy at responding !,

Name:	Matchbox Mandolin case.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	145144
    Ivan, I don't think I've ever dealt with them. But I can "ring them up", if you wish. (Funny to think that I live closer to Manchester than to Munich.)

Hi Henry - Many thanks for your offer,but i bought a Gator moulded ABS case instead,so my case requirements are sorted out for the time being. St.Sch. were the only music co. i've ever dealt with that never replied to an enquiry.
    From Henry - "Funny to think that I live closer to Manchester than to Munich.". Yes,living in a large country,distances can be deceiving. I never really understood what ''large'' meant with respect to a country,until i visited the US for the first time - it's BIG !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Yep, once I spent a year in the US, everything here seems very close, cars cruising the Autobahn quite fast.

Adrian Minarovic

Ivan, those are Subrt cases made in Czech Republic. I think they still make them. Very similar to Gator but a bit harder shell but somewhat less padded interior. I have one like that in my shop.
    Edit: Subrt doesn't make cases since 2009 or so, they were very similar ABS cases. The case of yours is more likely Schuster case also made in Czech Republic.
    http://www.shuster.cz/e-shop/zakladn...ndolinu-6.html
    Last edited by HoGo; Apr-05-2016 at 7:57am.
    Adrian

Hi Adrian - I e-mailed Jiri Lebeda to ask him about the 'Matchbox' mandolin cases & he actually bought them from Streichholtz Schachtel in Germany. St.Scht. is the German word for ''matchbox' & the cases are St.Scht. own branded cases,however,as you say they may very well be made in the Czech.Republic,simply not available direct from the makers.
    The cases are finished on the outside with a smooth type of 'leathercloth'.They're not like my moulded ABS Gator case in any way.
    It's all a bit of a puzzle - Czech.made cases only available from a German store ?. Not one reply from that store after a half dozen e-mails ?. It sometimes makes you wonder why folk are even in business. That's one thing i will say for the US stores - they are courteous enough to reply every time (mostly).
    I never received a reply to an enquiry i made about an SKB moulded ABS "A" style case i was interested in a year or so ago,so my Ellis is now in my Travelite case, & my Weber is in the new Gator case,
    Ivan

Name:	SKB case.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	145188Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gator mandolin case (2).jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	145189
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.