I have a few questions. Hopefully you aren't tired of my questions yet.
1.) How do I fit in as a beginner? Without getting on the nerves of those who have a hard time tolerating beginners? Because I've seen them sleuthing even on this site mentioning their intolerance of beginners.
2.) What are some songs that are good to learn (male or female vocal or instrumental) that are played often at jams. It would be prudent of me to learn the most popular songs because at this point my goal is pretty much to follow along with the chords. And I'd rather review as many as possible ahead of time. (I am already building a repretoire but more is good)
3.) In the event that I may try to take the singing lead on something I am slowly building a repretoire of lady songs mainly from Rhonda Vincent, AKUS, Cox Family. It seems like the jams I have been to so far, no one new these tunes. Are there any lady songs that are well known? I'd rather not have the entire responsibility for carrying the song yet - and learn something that others might know.
4.) Other ettiquette tips?
My current repretoire...
- Salt Creek
- Blackberry BLossom
- Cripple Creek
- Roanoke (well, trying, long way to go)
Lyrical lady songs that I sing
- Kentucky Borderline (Rhonda Vincent)
- Is the Grass Any Bluer (Rhonda Vincent)
- Lonesome Wind Blues (Rhonda Vincent)
- Jolene (Dolly, Rhonda Vincent) , I play on guitar usually
- Everytime You Say GOodbye (AKUS)
- Ghost In This House (AKUS), I play on guitar usually
- Atlanta (AKUS) mainly play this on guitar
- Standing By the Bedside of a Neighbor (Cox Family)
- Everybody Wants to Go To Heaven (AKUS & Cox Family) mainly play this on guitar
- Black & White (Cherryholmes)
- How Long (Cherryholmes)
Man Songs (learned because someone I know sings this at some jams)
- Bad Day in Akron (Don Rigsby)
- Big Spike Hammer (Osborne Brothers)
- Fair & Tender Ladies (Osborne Brothers)
- Nellie Kane (Hotrize)
- Teardrops in my eyes (The Grascals)
Keep in mind - most of these lyrical songs I couldn't pick lead on yet, I just play rhythm and sing melody or sing harmony for the guy songs. ALl the fiddle tunes I can pick.