I do some programming and I am creating a metronome program and would love some input. Yes, I know, there are a lot of them out there on the web, but I am looking to combine all the features of the ones I like into one device. Once completed the metronome can be used on the web or downloaded as a stand alone program. I am not looking to make money on this, maybe at most offering a "donate if you like it" option.
So far the features I am working on include:
- Selectable tempo from 40 to 280 BPM, accessed by both a slider and a numerical input box so you can type in the tempo you like
- Tap tempo input would be nice (in this case it would read mouse clicks)
- Selectable number of beats per measure. I have programmed in 4/4, 2/4, and 3/4. but I think it would be worth it to add a manual input so that any odd number can be used such as 5,7, 11, etc.
- Selectable sounds. What would you like to hear? More cowbell?
- Downbeat of each measure is a different sound than the other beats
- Since I am shooting for the moon, would anyone use a situation where a single measure was divided up with stronger and lesser beats, for example a 6/8 measure has a different sound for beats 1 and 4? Or would it be fine to just use two 3/4 measures? This might makes more sense for splitting up odd time measures such as a 5 beat measure having a different tone on beats 1 and 3.
- Beat subdivision: I currently have it selectable to click on the 1/4 note, or 1/8 note, or 1/8 triplet. Any other commonly used beat subdivision?
-I am adding a feature where the metronome will play for a some number of measures then drop out for a number of measures, still keeping time silently and then come back on again. This allows you to find out if you keep time without the metronome constantly playing. I will allow you to specify how many measures of sound vs measures of silence.
- Visual indicator of the time, what would you like to see?
Any other ideas? I am wide open to thoughts!