Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Not for the faint hearted - a sad end to Kimble A #136

Default Re: Not for the faint hearted - a sad end to Kimble A #136

Make sure to ask if it's covered away from the house too. I use Heritage Insurance because they specialize in musical
    “Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.”

My Mandos:
    1981 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #6
    2001 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #57
    2006 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #106
    2017 Boeh F5 #27
    2020 Boeh 2-point #31
    2012 Grey Eagle 2-point #57V

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by woodwizard View Post
    My insurance company is offering an insurance policy on one of my mandolins and calling it a floater. Covers everything, theft, accident, etc. so they say. I'm checking into it. I just need an apraisal. Only for instruments valued at 5k or more.
    I have a rider on my home insurance for all my instruments -- all the instruments I want covered are described, photographed and valuated in a support document that the State Farm has signed off on. The cost averages about $5/$1000/year. On a pure probability basis I am losing money on it because the rates have been calculated by State Farm such that, on average, they make money on the deal. But then, if they are stolen or damaged........that's insurance.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

3. The following members say thank you to Bernie Daniel for this post:

I have a heritage policy, it costs $258. For a year for $35000. Worth of coverage. Well worth it. I had my instruments scheduled on my homeowner's policy. The cost was less, but the things it covered was also way less. Heritage covers everything except shipping and theft from an unlocked vehicle. They even cover loss of value if damages affect the value after repairs are done.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sanderson View Post
    I have a heritage policy, it costs $258. For a year for $35000. Worth of coverage. Well worth it. I had my instruments scheduled on my homeowner's policy. The cost was less, but the things it covered was also way less. Heritage covers everything except shipping and theft from an unlocked vehicle. They even cover loss of value if damages affect the value after repairs are done.
    Sounds worth checking out.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Ok, so I can be a cynic on occasion, so my question: Who in the HECK would leave an instrument in a situation where it could be run over? I understand accidents, but really? Accidents occur when someone is not thinking.

Lots of not thinking in the news every day. I'm never surprised in hearing these things.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    Lots of not thinking in the news every day. I'm never surprised in hearing these things.
    You are correct. And when thinking about I am sure the owner never meant or considered this would happen. Sad for that person I am sure.

Well, if I count up all the "not thinking" I've done that has lead to accidents of all sorts over the last 61 years I have to assume that I'm not immune from the process and I'm assuming neither is anyone else. You don't really grow out of it and that's why they call them accidents.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    Sounds worth checking out.
    I have insurance through Anderson group. It's 125 a year and the limit is 200k or so. I haven't had a claim but they've been great to deal with the last 6 yrs.
    Matthew

You have 200k worth of coverage for 125 dollars. Where do I sign up? (generally the coverage increases in increments of 20k or thereabouts).
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Sorry for your loss Bill BUT on the bright side let the eye & ear candy window shopping begin!!!!!!!
    Hope you find a real gem to replace your Kimball.
    Peace,
    Jim Ferguson

Kentucky KM1000

~Give Blood-Play Hockey

You have 200k worth of coverage for 125 dollars. Where do I sign up? (generally the coverage increases in increments of 20k or thereabouts).
    Yep. Of course I have only 17k worth of instruments. I think if you search their name you'll come up with their site. Here it is. http://www.anderson-group.com/
    Last edited by nobullmando74; Jul-14-2012 at 6:07pm. Reason: Add website addy
    Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sanderson View Post
    Actually they do cover instruments damaged or lost in shipping. I had a mandolin damaged by UPS and Heritage covered the repair cost.
    “Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.”

My Mandos:
    1981 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #6
    2001 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #57
    2006 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #106
    2017 Boeh F5 #27
    2020 Boeh 2-point #31
    2012 Grey Eagle 2-point #57V

$35000 x .0074= $259. $18000 x .0074=$133.2. My home owners scheduled personal property coverage is $88 so it would cost me approx. $45 more for Heritage assuming our criteria are similar. I plan to visit with our rep to find out more of the leading particulars of my current coverage. Heritage's percentage may be lower for me since I don't get my gear out as much as you for hire folks but then again it may be that Heritage is just over kill for the non professional. I'll post again when I find out more about the limitations of my MetLife scheduled coverage. This is one positive from this awful accident that we compare our insurance options and confirm what is covered and at what cost.
    "A sudden clash of thunder, the mind doors burst open, and lo, there sits old man Buddha-nature in all his homeliness."
    CHAO-PIEN

I don't think it matters whether you a pro or not. I'm more comfortable having instrument specific insurance (Heritage). If you own an instrument of value I think it would behooves you into looking into either Heritage or Clarion. My daughter's 12k violin and my Lawrence Smart F5 are both covered. My daughter has spent the last year in Scotland and her violin is still covered - something your home owners probably won't cover. My insurance even includes loss of value coverage if it is repaired and looses value. Shipping and travel (in cargo hold) - require me notifying them and paying a small fee but I would feel better dealing with Heritage than the shipping company/airlines or my home owners.
    Marc B.

Not all music insurance is a like.

Let's get back on track with the subject of this thread. How are things going, Bill? Have you found something to replace the Kimble yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Texas View Post
    Ok, so I can be a cynic on occasion, so my question: Who in the HECK would leave an instrument in a situation where it could be run over? I understand accidents, but really? Accidents occur when someone is not thinking.
    I assumed the "he's and idiot" threads would start at some point, just suprised it took so long. Thanks for breaking the ice.

As for me, I'm watching the classifieds.

Cheers,

Bill

That post goes somewhere other than cynicism.
    Mike Snyder

Martinsville, Indiana formerly of Brown County

Heck go buy that Kimble pair that was advertised......you can have the best of both worlds.....

and no you are not an idiot .......Sh** happens, we all have brain fades etc.......

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hedrick View Post
    Heck go buy that Kimble pair that was advertised......you can have the best of both worlds.....

and no you are not an idiot .......Sh** happens, we all have brain fades etc.......
    Acutally I wasn't on the scene when it happened. They person that was owns some very high end instrument, and is generally not careless with instruments. I'm still calling this a legitimate accident.

Cheers,

Bill

Lord, I have two friends who did this to their own instruments, one a thirties om18 Martin.

Buy Shaun's Kimble. Please. It will keep me from doing something stupid.

Gary, brain fade. I like that.

Not all music insurance is a like.

Let's get back on track with the subject of this thread. How are things going, Bill? Have you found something to replace the Kimble yet?
    Not yet, but Kimble, Ellis, Red Diamond, and Miller have all caught my eye. It's all a bit premature though, as the claims process is still in the works. I'll just have to see what's out there once that is over; and decide if I want to sell my other mandolin to go for an "upgrade".

I gotta say thanks to everybody for all the kind words and sympathy. Nobody involved in this episode wanted it to happen, but it did, and eventually it will just be another life story.

Thanks,

Bill

Blog Entries

Bill, I can't applaud you enough for your attitude toward all that has happened.
    Your calmness, grace, and sense of perspective have been admirable.
    I sincerely hope that the claims process goes smoothly and quickly for you, and that you end up with a replacement mandolin that becomes your favorite instrument you have ever owned.
    Keep us posted.
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Lord, I have two friends who did this to their own instruments, one a thirties om18 Martin.

Buy Shaun's Kimble. Please. It will keep me from doing something stupid.

Gary, brain fade. I like that.
    I'll for sure be looking to see what is still around on the classifieds when the insurance dust settles, but don't wait for me. That Kimble was a real keeper for me. My friend has a loar and pronounced "there was nothing wrong with that mandolin".

Buying a Kimble cannot be considerd "stupid".

Cheers,

Bill

It's not because it's a Kimble, believe me. I have too many mandolins as it is.
    Last edited by Mandobar; Jul-16-2012 at 6:24am.