Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Not for the faint hearted - a sad end to Kimble A #136

Default Re: Not for the faint hearted - a sad end to Kimble A #136

I'm so sorry for your loss, Bill. It looks just like my Kimble (if it were smashed); The pics made me cringe! Insurance companies can be hard to deal with but I hope it goes smoothly and quickly for you.

I work for an insurance company. If one of our insured had a claim like this I'm sure we'd be asking if the mandolin was legally parked when our insured hit it. I'm happy it's covered though.

don't donate that money yet, because auto insurance as well as homeowner's insurance does not cover replacement cost.
    The driver's liability insurance covers the driver's liability (i.e., the damages resulting from her negligence). The proper measure of damages is the fair-market value of the instrument. Assuming there are other similar instruments on the market, the liability coverage should pay enough to buy a similar instrument of similar fair-market value.
    Bobby Bill

Looks like the new Jimi Hendrix or Pete Townsend model....props on your attitude and I hope it all works out...smae thing happened to me once but it was a chainsaw that I lost....no biggy since I had 6 others in my quiver....

Looks about like a mandolin I got once after UPS had its way with it. I feel your pain.
    John Craton
    "Pick your fingers to the bone, then pick with the bone"

Quote Originally Posted by bobby bill View Post
    The driver's liability insurance covers the driver's liability (i.e., the damages resulting from her negligence). The proper measure of damages is the fair-market value of the instrument. Assuming there are other similar instruments on the market, the liability coverage should pay enough to buy a similar instrument of similar fair-market value.
    This is where I hope we are headed.

Thanks,

Bill

the mandolin should be covered under your friend's collision insurance. this is the part of your auto policy that covers if you hit your neighbors mailbox, etc. This type of insurance is not required in some states. hopefully your friend will have it.

what you are looking for is replacement value, and there is a difference, because fair market value can sometimes be not so fair.

Mike, you made me laugh. it's so true. I had my car stolen and the paperwork and the amount of affidavits they make you sign is just brutal (and you need to find a notary too).
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

If you don't mind telling the story, how did it come to be run over?

9. The following members say thank you to GDAE for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Will Kimble View Post
    You are so right - knowing that the instrument is covered makes a big difference. Would be very sad to lose your main axe this way.

Might be a few parts that can be recycled - tuners, bridge, tailpiece? I am glad he didn't take any photos that reveal my top secret internal construction...

Will
    you sure that's not "secret internal combustion"?

Quote Originally Posted by mtucker View Post

Can't help but wonder if it would have stood a better chance in a good hard shell case, i.e., Peg, Calton, Hoffee?
    I remember a story of Mr. Bill running over #73987 in it's case...?

Quote Originally Posted by GDAE View Post
    I'm curious, too. This is reinforcement for my own personal rule of never setting a mandolin down in the street or parking lot. Guitars rest just long enough to get the trunk or hatch open and are placed so that I'll stumble if I try to step away from the vehicle without stowing them.

Condolences, in any case. I hate to see a good instrument go without a heck of a party or satisfying argument or wild performance to go along with it.
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

Hey Bill,

If you do decide to tell the story as some are requesting, just be careful not to write anything an insurance company could point to in an attempt to keep from paying out on this. One never knows who is reading these postings. Sometimes giving out less information may be a good thing. I'd really hate to see you get stuck for this loss. Losing the instrument is tragic enough, but to not receive a proper insurance payment would really compound the tragedy.

Best wishes,

Bob
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

Quote Originally Posted by GDAE View Post
    I don't mind passing on the full story, and will, but for a couple of reasons, "two physical objects were trying to occupy the same space" will have to suffice for now. I doubt the story will be nearly as interesting as the pictures.

Thanks for all the sympathetic comments from folks.

Bill

I cherish my mandolin, I really do. Seven years we're together, and the attachment goes far beyond the monetary value. I do not insure my instrument. The demise of the Kimble A has caused me to wonder; At what point is an instrument of sufficient value that I would insure it? Bill's Kimble and my Gibson could currently be replaced from the classifieds at very nearly the same coin. Would I be unable to stand the risk if it was $5K, rather than $4K?
    I am glad that Bill has other good mandolins to play. Being a one-mandolin guy myself, I would be reduced to a tenor banjo, which is OK, we've bonded, but it's a banjo.
    Mike Snyder

OMG!!! That is horrific! I say stick it out on ebay "Kimble A..minor top sinkage". Sorry to here about the loss. At least it died at the festival and not in the office!! The pain does not go away with time, you just learn to live with it. If mandos are not going to heaven count me out! After life with a banjo just scares the heck out of me (just kidding, Banjo folks).

With Sympathy! Frecky

Please let me know if you are interested in selling it as is... This is the kind of instrument I am looking for and have repaired others in similar condition.... They can be players. But it is a lot of work and time.
    Bart McNeil

Blog Entries

Sorry that happened. The mando was in a wood case -- I wonder if any of the high dollar fiberglass or carbon fiber cases would have protected the mandolin? This would be a different kind of insurance.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmac View Post
    Please let me know if you are interested in selling it as is... This is the kind of instrument I am looking for and have repaired others in similar condition.... They can be players. But it is a lot of work and time.
    Now THAT would be quite a feat!
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Not impossible, I suppose. I'm willing to suspend disbelief...................fairly frequently.
    Mike Snyder

I would think that if the insurance company does settle with Bill they will require that he send the mandolin to them.
    “Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.”

My Mandos:
    1981 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #6
    2001 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #57
    2006 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #106
    2017 Boeh F5 #27
    2020 Boeh 2-point #31
    2012 Grey Eagle 2-point #57V

Quote Originally Posted by bmac View Post
    Dang Bart, stole my thunder. I thought the neck & fingerboard were salvageable, if not the whole thing. I hear this one still drove O.K. after it was fixed:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bills mando repairs.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	89137
    Save yer splinters !

Edit: after looking at the 3rd pic again, I'd say just the neck/ board would be all that's worth it.

I just found this thread after coming home from a couple of gigs tonight.

Lets just say that you can add me to the broken mandolin club; it wasn't nearly as traumatizing as the night that the neck on my old upright bass flew off during the end of the second set in the middle of "Old Train"....

I had a customer a few years ago who broke the neck on their old Kay bass, dropped it off for some repairs, and then borrowed a bass from their ex wife for a gig that night and it got completely destroyed in a car wreck before they were able to return it. My guess is that was a stressful night!!!

j.
    www.condino.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	broken condino A4.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	111.0 KB 
ID:	89167  

This reminds me of the difference between broken and ruint. You can fix broken but you can't fix ruint.
    "A sudden clash of thunder, the mind doors burst open, and lo, there sits old man Buddha-nature in all his homeliness."
    CHAO-PIEN

25. The following members say thank you to hank for this post:

AKA Billgrass

I read That Ira Louvin used to glue his back together after smashing it cause it wouldn't stay in tune. (Whiskey may have had a facilitating effect on this behavior). Too bad he's not around to show Will how to put her back together!
    Daily joy - morning noon and night:

My insurance company is offering an insurance policy on one of my mandolins and calling it a floater. Covers everything, theft, accident, etc. so they say. I'm checking into it. I just need an apraisal. Only for instruments valued at 5k or more.
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45