Thread: Will have around $2500, any good F Styles in that price range.

Default Will have around $2500, any good F Styles in that price range.

I'm getting very close to buying a new mandolin. I'm pretty sure what I'm going to end up with (Collings MT2). But have to ask this first.

I've always wanted a F Style mandolin, and this mandolin purchase will more than likely be the last instrument I purchase in a very long time. So I want a mandolin that I'll be happy with even 10 years down the road. Radiused Fretboard is a big thing I want.

May be able to go a little higher than $2500, but probably not much.

Any suggestions or just stick with the MT2

Spoke with Chris Thile last weekend and he told me to just get the MT2, he raved about it. Even when I asked about a higher price point he still said the MT2. But still F Styles haunt me

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

Default Re: Will have around $2500, any good F Styles in that price range

Well, when the Northfield F5 came out, it was a good value at $2500, but they've gone up and there is a waiting list. A used one, maybe, but most owners hang on to them. Haven't seen but a couple used ones since they came out.
    Living’ in the Mitten

Ratliff

Weber Gallatin F can be had for under 2000. The Mandolin store Weber Special Edition is about 2100. I recently was at a music store selling a really nice Bitterroot F for right around 2500. Also the least expensive USA made F by a major company is probably the Breedlove. There are a plethora of choices in that price range in the imports. You could get a really nice Eastman with plenty of leftover change. Fyi al of the above have radiused boards.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Stick with the Collings...:-)
    Jim Ferguson

Kentucky KM1000

~Give Blood-Play Hockey

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ferguson View Post
    Stick with the Collings...:-)
    Thats what I was thinking. I mean if it'd be good enough for Thile...

I forgot to mention, in an F. I'd also want it to be fully bound.

Thanks for all the PM's, and suggestions. I've looked through all of the ones suggested. I'm thinking Collings it is, and I'll just start another mandolin fund, even if it does take a decade to get the F style I want

as an owner of an mt2, eastman 814 , gibson f2 there is no comparison . i always go back to the collings . holds it value, plays well , hard to say that about others 5 years later

You may want to also check out the Lafferty F style that the Mandolin Store is carrying. Though I have no personal experience, based on what I've read it's a pretty amazing instrument. They have a used one right now for less than $2500

You're asking for the moon. A really nice F for that money would be a Flatiron Festival, which would necessarily be used and would not have the binding on neck, back and headstock. That binding adds nothing to the sound of the mandolin. The Collings are nice, if a little "cookie-cutter", and there a gobs of them around. I've never heard a bad one.
    Mike Snyder

Quote Originally Posted by barrangatan View Post
    You may want to also check out the Lafferty F style that the Mandolin Store is carrying. Though I have no personal experience, based on what I've read it's a pretty amazing instrument. They have a used one right now for less than $2500
    +1 on the Lafferty. I own 2. However they have a different sound than a Collings. More like a really loud and woody Gibson. I haven't found a banjo yet that either one of them can't hang with.

Bruce

I was fortunate enough to get a used F5 for under $2000. I had a Collings MT (not MT2), but I prefer the sound of this F5 (made by Lon Williamson). However, new this mando would cost much more. I guess my point, if I have one, is that you can look around for used mandos. I think it is important to be very clear about what you want. Not just F5, but woods, type of sound, neck size/shape, etc. I learned what I wanted little by little, and then I got lucky enough to get something very close and very affordable.

I guess I have a financial interest, I have both an mt2v and a festival for sale right now, both are over 2500 but we could work it out
    PJ
    Stanley V5

You don't say that you have to stay in the USA for your F model purchase so I'm going to recommend the new KM1500 for $2000 and then take the wife on a 4 day Carnival cruise with the left over. This way you both will be happy! The KM1500 is super quality with Loar like looks with great Loar like case and cover. High quality flamed maple. It's got the radius fingerboard. It's got pearl dripping all over the headstock and it should suit your pro needs for many decades to come. At one time these were hard to find but I see mandolinstore has 4 to pick from:
    http://www.themandolinstore.com/scri...idProduct=9239

Bulldog. Barry's got a couple finished and ready to ship. Take a look in the classifieds.
    Pete Braccio

"The Rules: Play nice and don't run with scissors"
    http://www.braccio.me
    Check out my web site for:
    Jack Tottle music files
    BBC Virtual Session files
    O'Neill's PDFs
    ITM Tunebooks, and more

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Snyder View Post
    You're asking for the moon.
    Yeah, I figured that, but thought I'd ask

I've got a line on 2 used MT2's and 1 MT2V all for great prices. And a friend at a dealer that shot me great prices on those new. So now I just have to sell 1 more guitar and one of them will be mine :D

I recently played at a jam session where there was a Collings and most of the pickers there thought the Flatiron Festival was a little better sound for bluegrass there was also a beautiful Ratliff F model that was just fantastic....neither had the radius fret board but I`m sure Audy Ratliff could make one if you asked him to...He is great to deal with but a new one might run closer to 3 grand....

There are a lot of Collings listed for sale from time to time and I am not familiar with their model numbers, which are A`s and which are F`s.....

Willie

Aaron,

To repeat, take a look at the Bulldogs. Barry has them in the classifieds at $2600 right now. They're a modern version of the F5, but...

Bulldog Mandolins

Pete
    Pete Braccio

"The Rules: Play nice and don't run with scissors"
    http://www.braccio.me
    Check out my web site for:
    Jack Tottle music files
    BBC Virtual Session files
    O'Neill's PDFs
    ITM Tunebooks, and more

Very nice Ratliff used at Janet Davis Music for 2400. Iwould much prefer over any Collings they are much too bright for my likes

Someone on a previous thread on the cafe raved about their Bovier F5 special - comes with European Spruce top and nice fiddleback maple and neck. Talk to Jeff Cowherd. He sells them for under 2k and he customises them for his customers. Might be worth a look.

Quote Originally Posted by baptist mando55 View Post
    Very nice Ratliff used at Janet Davis Music for 2400. Iwould much prefer over any Collings they are much too bright for my likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Braccio View Post
    Aaron,

To repeat, take a look at the Bulldogs. Barry has them in the classifieds at $2600 right now. They're a modern version of the F5, but...

Bulldog Mandolins

Pete
    Couple things about each of those I don't care for. Thanks for the tips though

Registered User Douglas McMullin's Avatar

At that price point, I would be thinking MT2 myself.