Thread: Ibanez M510

Blog Entries

Default Ibanez M510

Happy New Year, everyone! I am considering the Ibanez M510 for my first mandolin. I am an EXTREME beginner so I want to start out inexpensive. This one is available at my local music store and comes setup for $150. What are your thoughts?
    Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the grave, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom. (Eccl 9:10)

Default Re: Ibanez M510

That seems to be the going rate for those mandolins. May I suggest you call Robert from Folkmusician.com He is an advertiser on the site and is a great guy to deal with.He also sets up all of the instruments himself and does so very well. I am a customer and he has always been great to deal with and very honest.
    Weber Bitteroot Custom
    Eastman 905D 2 point
    Scott Cao 850
    Taylor NS34CE
    "You have to go out on a limb, that is where the fruit is"

A-model instrument, all laminated woods, and the price from your local store is what a large on-line dealer like Musician's Friend charges, so it's not a bad deal. For $50 more you could get a Kentucky KM-150 that's all solid wood, and probably will sound better, but the main factor to consider for a first instrument is playability rather than sound. If your local store can do a decent set-up, why not?

Get a case, though. A chipboard "soft shell" or a gig bag is adequate, but you need something in which to store the instrument. And, since it's winter and your furnace is operating, think about humidification as well.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Blog Entries

Thanks for the input. As a green horn, my questions may be very elementary, but I appreciate you taking the time for the advise.
    Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the grave, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom. (Eccl 9:10)

Blog Entries

I actually played one today. It's fairly light so the laminates may be thin. The action on this one was pretty good so they can be set up playable. The bridge was also off a bit but that can be fixed too. It was strung with lights so it was pretty easy to play, good for a novice. As you expect laminates don't have a lot of resonance but it has a pleasant enough sound. I think it would make a good starter mandolin. I place a value on easy fretting for beginners.
    George Wilson
    Weber Bighorn Mandolin
    ca. 1900 Clifford Mandolinetto
    Martin Guitars

My wife was kind enough to get me one of these for Christmas. First mandolin. It's dark brown with a pickup in it. I had been talking about adding one to my collection and I guess she heard me. Gave it a new set of strings (it was used) and a basic setup (at least as far as I know from doing my guitars) and she plays pretty nicely. But....I have not reference. All in all for a starter I like it. I'm sure I will outgrow it but for now I'm having a blast with it. I expect it will add some nice color to the band as well

I was given one of these by some friends this week. My first mandolin. It plays and sounds great as far as I'm concerned. I have the dark brown version. It's really beautiful. Very fun to play. I've played guitar for several years so this is a new adventure for me.

I bought myself one for christmas last year, on the advice of an aquaintance who plays in a number of bluegrass & Irish folk bands. He tried one out and thought it beat the entry level competition, including Kentucky. I like the sound, the action is nice for a beginner. After 6 months I can now play a decent glasgow reel.

Blog Entries

Played one of these the other day and was pleasantly surprised. Here's my review.

I'm excited to finally have a sub-$200 new mandolin that I'm comfortable recommending. Furthermore, they seem to be readily available.

Finally, with production numbers like those for this model, quality is bound to vary...I'd recommend playing before buying if possible.
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters