Thread: Keith Medlin Mandolins??

Default Keith Medlin Mandolins??

Howdy all.

Has anyone ever heard of or played a Keith Medlin mandolin? He lives in Morristown, TN. I just found his info on the Mandolin Cafe builders search.

If you've got one or have played one please let me know what you think of them. Seems like he just makes them on a personal build basis (which isn't necessarily bad I guess). I've never seen anyone play or own one though and that kinda makes me leery of them.

Thanks for your help. I need to buy a better mando. This Austin I'm playing kills my left hand every time I play it. Its where I dread picking it up. It has a great tone and plenty loud and good looking, but the neck is like a C shape instead of the rounded V of Gibson's and most higher end mandos. You'd think the thinner would be easier to handle, but its too thin.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Hope to hear from you if you've got anything good or bad on Medlin mandolins. Thanks again!

PAF

Default Re: Keith Medlin Mandolins??

My son just bought a Medlin mandolin. He loves it. Has really good tone. He was looking to buy a mandolin in the $3k-$4k price range when he was introduced to a guy at a local jam session. The guy had about 7 different mandolins for sale and my son chose the Medlin. He thinks that it sounds as good as any he has looked at. Looks great. Sounds great. Definitely a V shaped neck.

Blog Entries

Medlin Mandolin...that's catchy.
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

I have one of Keith Medlin's first mandolins. It was #6 made in 1980. So we are talking 30 years of perfect sound. I would stack Keith's mandolins up against Gibson or any other well known company for quality and purity of sound. Keith is an artist and an excellent instrument craftsman. Obviously, I believe you should talk a serious look at his mandolins. Hope you enjoy! Rye

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

I realize that this thread has been dormant for some time, but I'd be interested in hearing any additional feedback about Medlin mandolins.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

You may have found this, but here is a webpage for him.
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO