Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mandolin Symposium course listings now online

Default Mandolin Symposium course listings now online

Hey all,

I just posted the course listings for the 2012 Symposium over at http://mandolinsymposium.com. Swing on by if you are interested.

Thanks,
    Pete
    Pete Braccio

"The Rules: Play nice and don't run with scissors"
    http://www.braccio.me
    Check out my web site for:
    Jack Tottle music files
    BBC Virtual Session files
    O'Neill's PDFs
    ITM Tunebooks, and more

Eric Hansen

Default Re: Mandolin Symposium course listings now online

Thanks for posting the course. This will be my first time going and i'm a bit like a kid in candy store with all these choices. will there be a posting of a 'time' grid for this schedule? that will help identify course conflicts. thanks
    Eric H

Aloha a hui hou
    mandolin no ka 'oi

My first time also, and I'm really excited about all the choices. My dilemma is that there are 31 classes that I really want to attend, but I guess there's only room for 10, correct? A time grid will definitely help narrow down the options.
    1991 Apitius F5 (#1036)
    2017 Briar Road 3-point archtop
    2007 Kentucky KM-1000

Hi you two,

The time grid is now posted as well.

Pete
    Pete Braccio

Jack Tottle music files
    O'Neill's PDFs
    ITM Tunebooks, and more

Eric Hansen

Thanks Pete. Now the hard choices begin....
    Eric H

Aloha a hui hou
    mandolin no ka 'oi

Sounds like some first timers.......I finally talked a buddy of mine into going for the first time this year too. He signed up today. Last year I think there was something like 60% repeat students, and 40% first timers. It has become kind of a reunion for me now, with mando friends from all over the world meeting every Summer in Santa Cruz. Definitely the mando summit of the year! I'm looking forward to it.

I'm really excited about this whole thing! Already signed up for my classes but can't decide which ensemble to join. Right now it's narrowed down to Dawg, Gator or bluegrass. Any words of wisdom from past experience?
    1991 Apitius F5 (#1036)
    2007 Kentucky KM-1000

The first night at orientation each instructor talks about what they have in mind, so you get a chance to learn more......I've seen folks join an ensemble I was in, after a few days.........guess they decided the one they picked wasn't a good fit & bailed. Usually there are harder parts and easier parts, maybe even just playing the backing chords. There are charts and you can do your homework & practice your part after dinner or at night.....but there are evening concerts & jams to distract you too.

Jesse is new, so don't know what he'll do for Bluegrass.........last year Mike's Gator ensemble actually wrote the tune they performed during the week, and it turned out great........Grisman's Dawg ensemble which I've selected in past years, always seems to be in flux as he changed the arrangement daily, honing in on a more focused presentation. You get a glimpse of how he works with his band from the experience, and it always amazes me how we improve daily & perform well at the end of the week. They have mandolas and mandocellos available for anyone who might want to try those parts for the ensembles too. Folks are very supportive and you can find a part that suits your skill level.

I've played in ensembles led by Dawg and by Mike, and both were great in their own way. As Art mentioned, Grisman modifies the arrangement each day, based on what he is hearing from the people in the ensemble. My year with him, I didn't feel that the arrangement changed so much as it got richer. He added more texture to the tunes, "Dan'l Boone" and "Hartford's Real," through his changes, which was a really interesting process to watch and be part of. He did a lot of trial and error with us, keeping what worked and dumping what didn't. He really has to make it up as he goes along to a great extent, because he isn't arranging the tune for a traditional bluegrass band so much as for a mandolin orchestra.

I've been in Mike's ensemble both when he brought in a tune ("Egypt") and when he wrote the tune with our suggestions as the week progressed. Here is what emerged from the second endeavor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWzr36vg-cM

There are some people who go to Symposium and pass on the ensembles so they can work on what they have learned in the workshops. You do have to put in some pretty serious practice time if you're going to be in an ensemble, but for me, it was absolutely worth it. After the week ends, you'll still have your binder with the workshop materials, but you can't get another chance of playing in an ad hoc band under the direction of either of these phenomenal musicians. You really get to see up close how amazing their musical instincts are.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

Eric Hansen

another symposium newbie question.

Joni24 above mentioned they had already signed up for classes. is Joni24 just making personal preference selections or are we supposed to check off which classes we want on the schedule grid and then send them in?

after reading the www site, i don't think so. but i just want to be sure. if we do, it sounds too much like high school. gotta get that the period history class....
    Eric H

Aloha a hui hou
    mandolin no ka 'oi

You can change your mind later.......but they take a poll to see what size room to schedule the class in. I've had classes vary from as few as 4 or 6 students...........up to maybe 40. For example, the classes with two or more instructors draw pretty well. There was one last year with Statman, Compton & Grisman playing Big Mon. About 20 of us witnessed some classic moments there.

Eric Hansen

Thanks art. i''l be sure to tic the boxes and forward my preferences on.

OK, Here's another question.

are recording devices (video or audio) allowed in the classes, workshops etc? I've seen several videos of ensembles at MS. but is recording classes cool? i'm thinking it might be a useful tool to review class material long after MS has finished.
    Eric H

Aloha a hui hou
    mandolin no ka 'oi

Marcus, thanks for pointing out those videos of past ensemble performances. They are helpful in giving a better idea of what it's all about to a first timer. I'm really leaning towards the Dawg ensemble but was wondering if he welcomes advanced beginners. I'd be thrilled to just play rhythm in his back row... (assuming I can learn all the chords!). Also, does Grisman ever have tab or music to go along with his selections? I'm guessing probably not, since the final product will be a one-of-a-kind. Sorry for all the questions, but I'm so psyched this is all I can think about right now!
    1991 Apitius F5 (#1036)
    2007 Kentucky KM-1000

Quote Originally Posted by WireBoy View Post
    Thanks art. i''l be sure to tic the boxes and forward my preferences on.
    There was a note titled "Mandolin Symposium Registration" sent to me by <Per posting guidelines, please do not post the email address of individuals without their express permission> via surveymonkey.com. In it is a link to an online survey where you can check off which classes you're thinking of taking.
    Last edited by Scott Tichenor; Jun-03-2012 at 8:46am. Reason: please do not post emails addresses of others without their permission, per our forum posting guidelines.
    1991 Apitius F5 (#1036)
    2007 Kentucky KM-1000

Yes to small recording devices, for classes, as long as they are set up prior to the class, and don't require you continuously messing with them during class. No to recording devices for some of the performances, as the instructors have recording contracts, etc.

There is both notation and tab available for most of the the various ensembles, and also the big mandolin orchestra. And if you would be thrilled to play rhythm in the back row & can learn the chords.....go for it. The trick for the ensembles is to blend in, and if you lose your place, to have the ability to jump back in......that is the nice thing about a group, the tune goes on & you might be the only one that notices you flubbed a chord. There have been what I'd call advanced beginners in David's ensembles in past years.

I was there for the first time last year, unfortunately this summer it's impossible for me to come. Looking forward 2013. It'll be the 10th anniversary and all...

The ensembles are generally geared for players of all levels --- although for the classical ensemble, you really need to be able to sightread, or come pretty close to that. Players are definitely welcome to play rhythm, and most instructors write Mando 1,2, and 3 parts for their ensemble pieces, with Mando 2 being a harmony line and Mando 3 being a stripped-down version of the Mando 1 part. If you're an advanced beginner, I'd encourage you to take the music for Mando 3 and rhythm mando, give the Mando 3 part a shot, and if it is too challenging for you, play rhythm in the ensemble and take the Mando 3 part home as a souvenir to work on afterwards.

The year I was in Grisman's ensemble, he passed out music for all the parts, and we just made notations on it as he tinkered with the arrangement.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

Even if there's a tight schedule, you will also have the possibility to practice in the evening with people from your group, both people playing the same part and people the other parts. I have been on every Symposium from the beginning and wouldn’t miss it for anything. I’m not sure my sister has forgiven me for not attending her wedding two years ago, though.
    Mandojan

It's nice to be important,
    but it's more important to be nice

I am going for the first time! I've been thinking about it for years but finally have decided to actually go for....

David

Quote Originally Posted by DSDarr View Post
    I am going for the first time! I've been thinking about it for years but finally have decided to actually go for....

David
    David, I went for my first time last year and LOVED it. A perfect experience in every way. Any mandolinist will get super-charged by attending this event. Have a ball!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Braccio View Post
    Hey all,

I just posted the course listings for the 2012 Symposium over at http://mandolinsymposium.com. Swing on by if you are interested.

Thanks,
    Pete
    Hey Pete:
    Will you be posting the charts for the songs that the ensembles will doing?
    Ken

Hey Ken,

I'm pretty sure that an email is gonna go out soon with some download details for the ensemble charts. So far it's just Donnie's swing charts that are ready. I believe that the classical charts will be posted soon though.

Pete
    Pete Braccio

Jack Tottle music files
    O'Neill's PDFs
    ITM Tunebooks, and more

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Braccio View Post
    Hey Ken,

I'm pretty sure that an email is gonna go out soon with some download details for the ensemble charts. So far it's just Donnie's swing charts that are ready. I believe that the classical charts will be posted soon though.

Pete
    Very cool! Is there someplace that we should be linking to, to get the swing charts, etc, or should we just wait for an email that will contain the access instructions?
    1991 Apitius F5 (#1036)
    2007 Kentucky KM-1000

I see that many of the charts for the individual ensembles are now available to attendees, along with a sneak peek at Mike's master score for the whole group (wow!!!). Couple of questions:
    - Mike mentions bringing a music stand, etc. Are there some at the school available to those of us traveling in by air? I do have a portable one but would rather not pack any more than I have to.
    - When do we meet for the large orchestra practice? Is this done during the afternoon ensemble rehearsals under the guidance of our ensemble director?

I am so psyched!
    1991 Apitius F5 (#1036)
    2007 Kentucky KM-1000

Howdy to all symposium campers. I will once a gain be hosting the swing jams each night after the faculty concerts. Matt Sircely and I have put together a free pdf book of some of the most common swing tunes that you will run across in a swing jam. Feel free to download it and share it with your friends. See you in Santa Cruz next week.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/at...&thumb=1&stc=1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Swing Jam 2012.pdf