Thread: Fantastic sound quality.

Default Fantastic sound quality.

Our 3 piece played at a pretty big venue at a local festival at the weekend, sort of a massive tent.
    I dont have pickups in my instruments, dont like them.
    The sound engineers used these..
    http://www.google.co.uk/products/cat...d=0CHMQ8gIwAw#

Great sound, loads of power and not one squeak of feedback.
    Good stuff!

Default Re: Fantastic sound quality.

One mic per instrument? Used for vocals too?

Used the condenser for swapping between my guitar/zouk/mandolin, my wife used the other one for her fiddle/flute.
    SM 58/57 for vocals.
    Our fiddler has a dedicated goosneck mic.

Destroyer of Mandolins

Oliver,

Thanks for posting this. I'm particularly interested in how it worked for the flute. I normally use my vocal mic (Sennheiser) for flute/whistle. Did your wife have this for the flute and a separate 58 for vocals or did she sing into the condenser? How was it set up?
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

Now then, let me think...
    From what I recall she used a 58 for vocals and the condenser for instruments....I think!

Results are probably due more to quality PA system design and implementation more than mic choice alone. The skills of your audio operators come into play in a big way too.
    NT5s are generally quite hyped in the top end and require can require some pretty drastic EQ. As long as there's not too much else blaring around stage they can work well.
    Hereby & forthwith, any instrument with an odd number of strings shall be considered broken. With regard to mix levels, usually the best approach is treating the mandolin the same as a cowbell.

Destroyer of Mandolins

Thanks Oliver, but what I was after is this: Did she have the mics on separate stands some distance apart and move between them for playing and singing or were they mounted close to one another? At one time I used two mics mounted on a single stand; one for vocals and the other for the winds. It didn't work that well and I hoped you'd stumbled on an improvement.

But then, given what Ben has said, this probably won't matter to me anyway. Probably a dead end, but thanks for the input!
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

Hello,
    Yeah, both on stands close together (though at slightly different angles to each other). She does not sing on the flute /whistle numbers etc..
    I was most impressed with the quality for the string instruments to be honest and yes, the sound guys did a great job but they could not recomend thes mics highly enough for this application.
    Cheers
    oliver

Destroyer of Mandolins

Thanks again Oliver. I play and sing in the same numbers, so I don't think this is for me. Sometimes I'll play a whistle break, tuck the whistle under my arm and play mandolin while singing, then do it over again. I'd heard something about the EQ issues even before Ben mentioned them, but I'm always on the lookout for a better way to do things, so thanks for the info.

Glad it worked so well for you. I hope you have that kind of success in the future.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user