Thread: Can't seem to find a cheap tortoise pickguard anywhere

Default Can't seem to find a cheap tortoise pickguard anywhere

I've scoured the internet and the only place I've seen a cheap tortoise f style pickguard is on an expired ebay listing.
    I'm hoping to find an abbreviated f style tortoise pickguard for under $20, similar to the black ones that seem to be abundant, I'd settle for a full size though.

Anyone know where I can find one?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$(KGrHqFHJCEE8ldS-!)TBPOZdutw8w~~60_57.JPG 
Views:	123 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	86072

Default Re: Can't seem to find a cheap tortoise pickguard anywhere

You may have to settle to finding a sheet of tortoise plastic and cutting one yourself. Of course, the sheet might cost almost as much as your budget. You may as well buy the $47 one at Stew-Mac which seems to be the cheapest i can find for a finished one. Hopefully another member will have a better solution.

Roger Siminoff sells tortoise plastic blanks for fingerrests and the price is pretty reasonable, if you want to go that route.
    Last edited by Jim Garber; May-07-2012 at 2:37pm.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Yeah, the stew mac was the cheapest I found. And I saw the kit on Roger Siminoffs site but missed the little blanks he sells, thanks! I might just go that route if I can't find anything.

I got one from Steve at Cumberland Acoustics, by leaving off the edge binding
    they are modestly priced.

yea more than just DIY sheet piece from Stew Mac.

Hand sawing with a Jewelers saw is OK, takes time,
    but the time is yours rather than paying another's.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

You need an old tray from a bedroom brush, mirror and comb set, you'll pick these up cheap at a garage sale as you cal it, or a boot sale as we call it.
    I never fail at anything, I just succeed at doing things that never work....

Fylde Touchstone Walnut Mandolin.
    Gibson Alrite Model D.

I'm hoping to find an abbreviated f style tortoise pickguard for under $20.... Anyone know where I can find one?
    In short, no. I install quite a few pick guards and have found no good source for modestly priced quality guards. Just the cheapies, and extremely expensive versions.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Quote Originally Posted by Folkmusician.com View Post
    In short, no. I install quite a few pick guards and have found no good source for modestly priced quality guards. Just the cheapies, and extremely expensive versions.
    Well, cheapie is what im lookin for!

If money is the problem then I suppose you will have to settle for making it yourself. Otherwise, it looks like Stew-Mac is your best bet. Is this for an existing instrument?

You also may need some hardware to attach it, depending on what instrument it goes on.

I did find these possibilities on eBay:

Washburn F style - Looks like the seller had 4 @ $16 a piece and sold all. Perhaps you could write him and see if he has any others. he does have a black one for $15

F style pickguard from a Sigma Mandolin - current auction
    Last edited by Jim Garber; May-09-2012 at 8:42am.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Thanks Jim, I've been keeping an eye on ebay, checking multiple times a day. Hoping to score that Sigma, and just missed that Washburn guard by a few days, just messaged the seller though in hopes he has another one.

It's for my Mahogany Bean Blossom and depending on the guard I'll figure out which method to use to attach it.

Thanks again Jim! I really didn't even think about messaging the seller of the ended washburn guard.
    I messaged him today and he said he had one more and would post it today. He posted it a second ago and I bought it.
    Mission accomplished.

Excellent! Glad to be of whatever help I was.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately: