Thread: Another pocket mandolin

Mandolin tragic Graham McDonald's Avatar

Default Another pocket mandolin

This is the third go at trying to make the smallest possible mandolin for the traveller. Not quite pocket sized, but it will fit in a suitcase of the size that you can take onto aeroplanes and stow in the overhead. To overcome the obvious lack of an acoustically functioning body I am playing around with cheap piezo cable pickups, an 9V amplifier and a 1.5" speaker that might fit in a computer. That is not quite working as well as I had hoped as yet, but these cheap Chinese piezos mean that lots of experimentation is possible. Having the tuners at the wrong end makes it a lot more balanced. 13" scale and just under 19.5" long. It is mostly one piece of timber with other bits glued or screwed on.

I am coming to the US next month for three weeks and wanted something I could put in my suitcase going into the hold without worrying too much about it, though it could raise a few eyebrows with the X-ray folks.

cheers

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pm3_1sm.jpg 
Views:	361 
Size:	144.7 KB 
ID:	100507Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pm3_2sm.jpg 
Views:	380 
Size:	124.5 KB 
ID:	100508

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Graham McDonald For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: Another pocket mandolin

Hi Graham,

My son's friend built something similar at Gerard Gilet's workshop as a high school industrial design project. His was an electric Uke with built in speaker.

He had serious feedback issues with it, and as a result he couldn't crank it up very loud. Have you experienced much feedback with it?

Cheers
    The more I learn, the less I know.

Peter Jenner
    Blackheathen

Facebook

4. The following members say thank you to Pete Jenner for this post:

Well it sure is a talking point

Nice one!

Interesting. Is is asymmetrical to allow space on one side for the electroics?
    Any chance of hearing what this sounds like?

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

How comfortable is it to play, with your picking hand right there over the tuning pegs?
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

Blog Entries

Interesting design! It would be good to hear what it sounds like. The lack of volume is also another feature that could be desirable if you want to play it in places where you only want to entertain yourself and not disturb the quite of others?
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Mandolin tragic Graham McDonald's Avatar

Once I get the electronics sorted out I will see about a sound clip. The idea is not for it to be loud, but audible in a hotel room and not annoying others. The tuner buttons are not nearly as much in the way as I thought they might be and the wrist sits comfortably between them, Having the weight of the tuners there makes it much easier to balance. The asymmetry of the body is deliberate to allow room for the speaker, battery and the amp and probably needs to be a little bigger. It is an interesting design exercise in minimalism and I am working on a lap steel guitar with similar electronics for the next one.

cheers

graham

Oh, that's a beautiful idea. Thanks for posting the pics!

Got a' Leo', Denver made , after returning from a couple bike tours carry ing it,
    I saw Back issues of Mandolin World News, where they bought add space.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Very clever, as usual, Graham. I am also enjoying and learning from various of your articles in the Big Red Books and American Lutherie back issues.

So... did you hook the speaker (16ohm computer speaker?) up to the headphone jack, and leave the 8ohm speaker output as the 1/4" jack? Or is it the other way around?