Thread: Specific ideas about an A style f hole........help?

Default Specific ideas about an A style f hole........help?

I am really enjoying playing a Collings MTO, Engelmann over Maple, oval hole.
    It's great at home or in a lesson played against an f hole.

Played out at a little pure acoustic gathering last night and it really crystallized my thinking about what I am seeking in a second mandolin. Seems when playing against some powerful singers, dreadnaughts and the like, the sweet sounding Collings oval gets pushed out of the mix. If I play it harder, my playing gets slightly tense and less clean...and the oval does not seem to project even with the addn effort on my end.

So, I am seeking some ideas about builders who make a quality A style, f hole I suppose, that has an energetic purposeful sound that might do a better job of being heard when the chord bangers get going on the guitar, etc.

Since I have Engelmann on the oval hole, I should ask also the wisdom of having a second mandolin along these lines with some other material for the top.

I'm not in any super rush but wanted to pose these questions to others who have played more instruments than I have. I'll add that Thanks in advance.
    David

Default Re: Specific ideas about an A style f hole........help?

There are a LOT of possibilities here. What's your budget range?

Well I'd like to keep it at or under 4K and used is no problem if I find the right instrument from a quality builder. Thxz.

Geiss, Check out the Collings Forum. there is currently a black top MF for $3.4. There was an MT2-V last week for $3.2 but I can't find the listing. http://collingsforum.com/eve/forums/...6/m/7140041846. If you have a chance, play an Ellis A5 Deluxe or Special...a stretch for your budget but a killer, killer mandolin with sound & value well beyond the price... Good luck!

Found it...Collings MT2 varnish for $3.2 a steal with beautiful woods.
    http://collingsforum.com/eve/forums/...6/m/1560052846

David, I sent you a PM in case you are interested in what I have to offer....

Willie

Peter Mix's Carbon fiber A5 types are under $4K..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

There are several strong contenders in the classifieds right now. I'd look at the Red Diamond (just over your limit), the Ellis, and the maybe the Phoenix Bluegrass for starters. I wouldn't worry about the type of wood, though.

Josh

I've played a few of Rolfe's instruments..very nice but I think I would stay away from the epoxy neck joint. Trad dovetail I think I would prefer. Is the average Ellis palpably better tone and volume than the average Collings, that is if one can generalize?

Listen for yourself;

Ellis A5 mandolin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh285on33VQ

Collings MT2 Mandolin http://www.collingsguitars.com/Instruments/?ID=43

And I will throw in a Weber Fern F http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOScMJhWEGk

Thanks George, I realize the recording conditions for all three differed but, based upon what I am hearing, the Ellis sounds magical and piercing (but not shrill) and the Collings, while it sounds pretty seems a little constrained and thin in comparison. The Weber, a F, does not really talk to me but def a lovely instrument.

Registered User Justus True Waldron's Avatar

I'd recommend looking into Martin Macica http://macica.com/macica-mandolin.html

He's usually made more F styles than A, but I have one of the few A's he's made and it's an absolute beauty in every respect. He's got some really neat things in the works as far as A models go too, including building one for a rather big name touring pro (who I am not going to name right now, but he'll probably be putting it on his blog as he begins the build). He's also done a lot of thinking lately given the state of the economy, and was talking to me recently about doing a run of "economy" A's at right around the 3k mark. Given that his top of the line A is around 5-6k, and he builds all his instruments completely by hand (no power tools whatsoever), 3k would be an amazing value.

I purchased my mandolin used for right around 4k, which is what it was sold for originally in 2004. It was hardly played until I got it, and it's waking up more and more every day. I play a lot of bluegrass, but it is extremely even across the fretboard and would make an excellent classical axe as well. Given it's strong midrange, it cuts through a mix like nothing else I've ever played, and it is almost impossible to overdrive.

Since I've only had it 6 months, I haven't had a ton of chances to record it yet, but I do have a couple videos of me playing it

The second one isn't such a great example, as it's playing on the mic, something I'm still learning to do, but it is an example of it with other instruments. At any rate, if you are looking for an A in this price range I would think it would be worth at least talking to Marty... to get a completely hand built instrument with that much attention to detail is really amazing and I am completely at love with mine, in every situation.
    - 2004 Macica A
    - 1952 Selmer Centered Tone
    - Eastwood electric mandola
    (and lots more)

At the risk of self promotion, here's another one I just uploaded that has a little better example of pushing the mandolin...

- 2004 Macica A
    (and lots more)

Thanks Justus....nice playing and nice instrument. Had never heard of Macica...he's close enough that I could seriously look into...
    Best, David

Glad you liked it. I just noticed your in NJ... usually he has an F on display down at Rudy's SOHO in nyc, but I believe he brought it back up north to bring to a couple festivals. If you do end up coming up here at some point to check some out, let Marty know in advance, I live right here in town and I'm pretty good friends with him so I could bring mine by for you to check out. I think he has 3 Fs in stock right now but no examples of an A, but he is in the process of building one, and like I said I'm just a phone call away if you ever want to check one out.
    - 2004 Macica A
    (and lots more)

An Ellis A would be a fine choice, though you will have to go used to keep it in the 4K area.
    One other I would suggest is a Weber "Bighorn". It has beautiful 2 point styling and lots and lots of volume to go with great tone. Comes in oval and f hole versions. They can be a bit hard to find, especially used. The Bighorn is Bruce Weber's personal instrument of choice.

Good luck hunting.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

I would be very hard to beat a used Ellis A5. A few have been sold here in the $3800 range. A used Kimble would also be in that range. I think Chris Stanley charges less than $4k for a new A5.

Just a bit over your budget, get an Ellis. Less than your budget, a Northfield.