Thread: Mike Marshall's ArtistWorks School of Mandolin Interview

Fetches news & information NewsFetcher's Avatar

Default Mike Marshall's ArtistWorks School of Mandolin Interview

The Mandolin Cafe has posted the following news release:
    Mike Marshall's ArtistWorks School of Mandolin Interview

We interview Mike Marshall and get the inside story on his ArtistWorks School of Mandolin which launched June, 2011.

---------------------------

NOTE: You may use your board membership to comment on news articles published by the Mandolin Cafe. Your comments will appear here and also will be appended to the end of the news article for public viewing. Standard board membership posting guidelines apply.
    Posts belonging to this account are created by a software task, not a human. Don't understand what that means? This information will explain how this post got here.

Default Re: Mike Marshall's ArtistWorks School of Mandolin Interview

Bravo!

The School of Mandolin has become a fixture in my relationship with this instrument. It's an essential resource, always there, whether I logon to reconnect with rusty techniques or concepts or to learn something entirely new. Between the structure of the lessons, the freedom inherent in Mike's approach, the sense of accomplishment from recording submissions (he is absolutely right about how much learning comes from those multiple takes!), and the excitement of seeing what he brings to any tune or piece and how he thinks, it's a pretty incredible intersection of technical potential and human purpose. Bravo indeed!
    *mandolin mind, beginner mind*

Sounds incredibly cool. Question: just to be clear, is your emphasis landed in bluegrass? I know it sounds crazy but there are some of us out here working on Brit folk/rock with zed interest in the bluegrass genre, but still looking for quality instruction. I see you are helping some folks with different styles of music in mind. Sorry if I am asking something you've already answered.

Much appreciation,
    Goldendeer

Mike is really a talented teacher/musician....I've been doing this since last August and it's been a incredible resource for learning the Mandolin!

Annette

http://www.livingtreemusic.com
    Last edited by Scott Tichenor; May-08-2012 at 1:00pm. Reason: fixing broken link

Quote Originally Posted by goldendeer View Post
    Sounds incredibly cool. Question: just to be clear, is your emphasis landed in bluegrass? I know it sounds crazy but there are some of us out here working on Brit folk/rock with zed interest in the bluegrass genre, but still looking for quality instruction. I see you are helping some folks with different styles of music in mind. Sorry if I am asking something you've already answered.

Much appreciation,
    Goldendeer
    I love all styles and music and welcome anyone who is interested in the mandolin to please join and see what we can do together. Just wanting folks to get a little better at this mando thing.

Brentrup Evangelist Larry S Sherman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dm Gigue View Post
    I love all styles and music and welcome anyone who is interested in the mandolin to please join and see what we can do together. Just wanting folks to get a little better at this mando thing.
    Okay, this interview pushed me over the edge. I'm hoping the time shifting possibilities will help me (I'm so crazy busy with an undependable schedule). I signed up last night.

Larry

One student sent in a nice version of "Sweet Georgia Brown"...........Mike's response video is quite long and detailed, he showed how to swing the chords, in several places on the neck.......moves from melody into improv ideas, etc. It is like a basic lesson, but with enough nuance and detail that you can go back again & again to get more info and other ideas for how to think while playing ...... concepts an advanced beginner can handle, but more involved ideas that get a more proficient player thinking......it is fabulous that this remains on there as a tutorial for the tune.

These videos have something for every level player, even if just to see what you need to start thinking about as you gain more experience. There is everything from the Beatles, to Bach, to Bluegrass, as well as traditional fiddle tunes, and on to the frontiers of New Acoustic music on there........add in some complex jazz chord lessons & swing tunes......are you into Choro?.....or bigger mando family instruments? ...whatever students have sent in Mike has given a thoughtful, well taught response, in any genre.

Keep 'em coming Gator!!! Great job of responding to what has been sent in. I'm digging it, and like Larry says above it is archived on there, so no matter what your schedule is, or where you live, Mike Marshall is available......no lines, no waiting!

Not only is the man insanely genius at many styles but he has the innate ability/ talent for teaching this stuff to folks at any level. From blues, to rock, to Bach...his style is relaxed and totally engaging. Many thanks for all the prep that goes into your responses to the vids, MM!
    Last edited by mtucker; May-08-2012 at 7:33pm. Reason: more detail

Signed up today and loving it! Thanks Mike and friends....
    It's not an addiction... It's an investment.
    Gil #794
    Preston Thompson 2-15
    Martin D-18VS

Welcome to the cafe Mike and congrats on what looks like a great teaching model. See you in Santa Cruz in late June.

I'm a broke college student who's been considering this since it came out. I have decided after my finals are over I'm pulling the trigger and living off ramen for awhile

If you have the time to devote to it, you can get an incredible amount out of it. A ton of great material is on there ready to go! If there was something like this when I was coming up, I'd have advanced much faster on the mandolin. Might even be worth a Ramen only diet for awhile!

Keep an eye out for any future live online workshops with Mike. The last 2 provided viewers with a discount code for joining Artistworks. I was able to get a 20% discount from watching the Mashup back in March. But you have to watch the sessions within 24-48 hours because they only offer the discounts for a short period of time.
    I purchased a 1 year membership and am really enjoying working with Mike. I still can't believe that I get to learn how to play the mandolin from one of the world's best mandolinists.
    Late 2012 Eastman MD305
    Early 2012 Eastman MD605

Quote Originally Posted by goldendeer View Post

Much appreciation,
    Goldendeer
    I have been signed up with Mike on AOB for about 9 months. I really enjoy it and I'm not much of a bluegrasser. A few points:

1. Mike's lessons are not exclusively bluegrass. He also does some folk, old-time, Irish and blues in the beginner and intermediate sections and gets into classical and choro in the advanced sections.

2. Even when Mike teaches bluegrass, he uses it to illustrate universal techniques he is trying to teach. Any player will benefit from learning these things, even if bluegrass is not their thing.

3. Mike encourages students to submit videos of whatever they are working on. It does not have to be something in the curriculum. A lot of students do this. If you want to submit videos of you playing Brit folk/rock, he will critique them and give you advice. I cannot imagine there is a genre that Mike cannot handle.

Searching for the Sound

Quote Originally Posted by FodForThoought View Post
    I'm a broke college student who's been considering this since it came out. I have decided after my finals are over I'm pulling the trigger and living off ramen for awhile
    Think of it this way ... it's $1 a day. About half the price of a Starbucks coffee each day ...

The key is to make the videos for Mike to see... I've been terrible at that, which is the whole point ...
    - 2013 Eastman MD 505
    - 2013 Fender MandoStrat
    - 2021 Eastman MD815

Who drinks Strarbucks coffee?...

Seriously though, I would do it if I had the spare cash. Although I am competent at what I do I am probably limited in scope and certainly could benefit from his guidance and experience... I suspect that if effort is applied it is a real confidence building experience. Just watching the few videos of him, I like his style.
    Bart McNeil

Blog Entries

Noting the anniversary of this interview published this date 2012.

Blog Entries

Noting the 10 year anniversary of this interview. Mike's Artistworks school is still going very strong.

20. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post: