Thread: Gibson Banjolin on ebay

Default Gibson Banjolin on ebay

I have no financial interest in this item but yesterday when I was in my local music store for misc accesories I saw this case sitting on the counter. The owner is a great guy and I told him I'd throw a post on here. He doesn't know too much about it and I told him there were some very knowledgeable people on this site who may be able to give him some info.

Anyway here is his link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-Mando...item41621ab10f

Default Re: Gibson Banjolin on ebay

I would love to have one of those but i'm not willing to spend real money for one. Looking for a busted banjo to covert.
    Kip...
    Blessings,
    Kip...

If you think you can or think you can't... you're likely right!

Eastman MD515, amid many guitars and a dulcimer.

Looks like an MB-2 to me. Opening bid is at the top of what I'd consider its market value, though it is in nice shape and has an (apparently original) case. This one looks quite similar. This would be a 1920's model, IMHO; Gibson serial numbers in the 8,000's started around 1925.

Intermountain Guitar & Banjo lists an MB-2 for $750; other MB-2's listed don't have specified prices. There are tons of old mandolin-banjos around with prices in the low hundreds; that being said, this is a good model by a well-known company, apparently in very good condition. Doubt that the seller's going to get a lot of bids, but the right person might pay his "starting bid" price.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I had one of these babies ( http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...276#post714276 ), It's a very unique sound, an almost acquired taste, where it's got to be up your alley. I loved mine, but the more I played her the more confined to her uniqueness I felt. I never quite bonded with her, I have a few guitars and mandolins that I work into my lil' hobbyists play rotation, but she wasn't for me and I made the decision to find her a loving useful home. She was complete inside and out and was a musical treasure and a historical Americana timepiece, but some things in our world needs to be held, caressed, & conversed with, She was one of them.

Buyer beware, It is a unique item.
    Live Full, Love Deep

Hi,

I have a similar Gibson Bandolin that I'm looking to sell (it was my grandmothers but it should go to someone who can actually play it instead of sitting in the basement). I know it's from before 1926 because there was a music certification/diploma in the case that is dated that year (kind of cool).

Here are some pictures

https://plus.google.com/photos/10245...IrPrcb3w8yvowE

Can any of you tell me what it is worth? And what is the best way to sell it? It seems to be similar to one listed at the top of this thread that sold for $700.00

Any help would be appreciated.

The number stamped on the body is probably a Gibson factory order number, 8717-13. 8000-series are from the mid-1920's, I believe, so your estimate is pretty good. I'm guessing your open-back mandolin-banjo is an MB-Junior, which was Gibson's low-end instrument. The MB-0, MB-1, etc. had resonators, the MB-Junior (apparently first cataloged around 1923) did not.

Mandolin Bros. is listing one here for $900, which I think is stone crazy. I wouldn't pay the $700 that the MB-2 went for, for a resonator-less instrument. Maybe someone would, I dunno. I'd say $3-400 would be more realistic, and then only because it's a "'20's Gibson."
    Allen Hopkins
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Flatiron 3K OM

Cool, thanks so much for the info. I really appreciate it. I wish I could play it; in which case I'd just keep it.

I'll probably post it on ebay this weekend and put the link here in case anyone is interested.

Thanks again,

Quote Originally Posted by rmd99 View Post
    ...I'll probably post it on ebay this weekend and put the link here in case anyone is interested...
    Moderators will delete a post of that type; they only want items for sale to be listed in the Cafe classifieds.
    Allen Hopkins
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Flatiron 3K OM

Stan from Mandolin Brothers was nice enough to give me some info on the Gibson in an email:

The serial number of the banjo places it in 1927. Having the diploma doesn’t necessarily mean that your g-g didn’t take the course and perhaps bought the Gibson the following year as a reward for having gotten the diploma. I believe that what you have there is a style MB-2 which was introduced in 1920 and made until 1938. Per catalogs of that time, it has no pickguard and no armrest, a crown- (scalloped) shaped tailpiece cover and dotmarker inlay – all of which yours has. It could use a new head, and a set-up and restring. It is impossible for us to know the physical condition of the instrument or how comfortably it plays, from seeing photos. But this would be something we could sell and we offer our services in handling the sale of the piece on a Consignment Sale basis.

The common wisdom is that when this model from this period is in “excellent condition” –set-up to play its best – with original case, they can bring around $795, perhaps even $895. If we were to handle its sale on Consignment your net upon sale would be two-thirds upon sale or a range of $529.47 to $596.07 less the set-up fees (and provide and install new head), which could run around $200. If we can possibly push the envelope higher than that we would not hesitate to do so, the question is “is it possible?” I’m not convinced that it is.

The only MB-2 to sell on eBay recently brought $472 but it admittedly needed work, said the seller.
    Mine seems to be in excellent condition (other than the stains on the head) and it comes with the original case. There's even an old pick in there and the kind of cool music certificate from 1926. So maybe this would appeal to a collector or someone who knows how to set it up and replace the head themselves. I'll post it in the classifieds section. Thanks to the people who messaged me about it. Here's a quick link to the PHOTOSagain.