Thread: Shove the Pig's Foot a Little Further in the Fire

Default Shove the Pig's Foot a Little Further in the Fire

Hi folks! In an effort to connect more with the virtual mandolin community, I thought I'd start recording some fiddle tunes and putting them on youtube. Maybe someone else wants to learn the tune? Maybe they aren't know it and can point out mistakes/improvements? Record their own stuff so we can swap tunes? I know I've benefited from searching for tunes on youtube, so maybe it's time to start contributing =). (although, I realized belatedly this tune is already up there a hundred times...).

Let me know what you think, thanks!

-John from Boston, MA

Blog Entries

Default Re: Shove the Pig's Foot a Little Further in the Fire

That is a great tune. One of my favorites. You do the A part a little differently than I do. Different emphasis. Neat.

You might want to check out the song a week group. (Groups, under Community). They do a lot of tune sharing and its a lot of fun to listen in.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Jeff, thanks for your comments and suggesting that group! This one right? I just joined it! I'm excited to learn more tunes, and having a little structure around it to keep me honest is good too. (I've learned just half of too many songs...).

Blog Entries

Keep up the good work.

I don't know where you are in Boston, but I am sure if you are near the jam of your choice, bluegrass, old timey, fiddle tunes, contra dance, Irish and Scottish, at every and all levels of skill and experience. If you haven't already found folks to play with on a regular basis, the problem is not Boston!

The virtual community is good, and has a stong place in developing skills, but playing with (and for) real live people is the real agenda. If you haven't, get to it, and use the virtual community to augment (and not substitute for) your real live experiences.

My opinion anyways.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I do have a good musical community in Boston, and try to play with others as often as possible. I'm very grateful/lucky to live in such a musically rich area. And you're right, all kinds of tunes every night of the week if you want to find them. There's more old time up here almost than where I used to live in the Blue Ridge. I starting going to mandolin camps/festivals about this time last year and things have really taken off. I agree that the virtual community should be in addition to the real one, trying to figure out the best way to do that =).

Thanks for your kind words and encouragement, it means a lot!

Here's the link to the thread for this tune on the SAW group. See ya' over there!

If you haven't yet seen the version of STPFALFITF (whew!!), check out the great version on Transatlantic Sessions (II or III?). Many of my favorite players rocking out this tune in the parlor of a wonderful old house, fire in the hearth and you can see the snow falling outside the windows. Aly Bain and Bruce Molsky fiddling together is worth the price of admission and all are clearly having a ball. Wish I could have been there.....

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL