Thread: Show tunes

Default Show tunes

Don't know if this is the right place for this but i love the 1936 version of Show Boat, the music (Can't help lovn' that man of mine) and i have the Dave Apollon CD with the music , there are so many great songs in this movie but I am hopeing some one out there in mando land has a version that is written for mandolin and if you do could you tell me where i can get it.
    steven shelton

Blog Entries

Default Re: Show tunes

I would think that finding a version written for mandolin will be difficult. If you read notation, I am confident that you could find a violin tune book of broadway tunes including those from Show Boat, fairly easily. It would work just as well.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Hi i have been playing it form the lyrics but it is some times difficult on certain parts especialy the parts that Hattie McDonald sung and paul sung,but still working on it .
    I will eventully find the music it is such a beautyful piece and works well with the mandolin .
    steven shelton

Blog Entries

You might try any of the several fakebooks available. They usually have an excellent selection of popular show tunes, and there are some dedicate to show tunes. They are usually written out with a vocal line an a piano grand staff. I really like these because I can play the vocal line and get some good ideas for double stops and harmonies with the piano lines.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I'm with JeffD, this is where reading standard notation pays off. Fakebooks, Songbooks are a great source of Music. I also read the Melody line w/ an eye on the chords to create Double stop/chord melody versions of the songs. Sometimes I open a book of tunes and just casually play through a bunch of songs. Some stay with me for a while then drift off.

As to "Show Boat" I don't usually attend "Musicals", but this year the Lyric Opera in Chicago did it as part of their season, so we included it as part of our package. It was quite fun.

Much thanks, i do read standard notation and the fake book that i have does not have the song but i will keep on looking; I can listen to a song and play it from memory but certain parts are hard to get just right, its like a tick tick tick in the brain that you want to get right but untill you get it it drives you nuts so you just keep on playing it till you get it right and that is fun to because i learn more stuff.
    steven shelton

Exactly, Steven.

Sometimes I just sit and pick out melody's off the top of my head, but I'm not an "Expert" on all the old tunes. These tunes can have unexpected twists & turns, either with the melody or with the chords. So, even when I'm playing through a tune I think I know, I often find little bits that I could have easily passed over.

I will play w/ a tune off the top of my head, then pull out Music to it to see what I'm missing or can embellish, or where I might have it wrong.

As it happens, we do have a mandolin arrangement of a Show Boat medley in the repertoire folder for our mandolin ensemble. I don't think we've ever played it since I joined six years ago, so I can't say how playable it is, but I'll dig it out.

Martin

Much thanks Martin and i love the web site.
    steven shelton