Thread: 16-string Italian bowl-back mandolin

Default 16-string Italian bowl-back mandolin

I found a 16-string (!) Italian bowl-back mandolin recently while travelling in Spokane, Washington at Cole Music Company. The owner told me he ordered it for a friend who didn't end up buying it because it didn't "suit his needs". This thing was an absolute beast to play. The fretboard was amazingly wide, certainly NOT a chordal instrument, even two-string harmonies were somewhat difficult to fret. Not to mention it was difficult to tune/hear while the owner's buddy loudly played half-baked blues riffs on an electric guitar.

Has anyone else had any experience with 16-string mandos?

Default Re: 16-string Italian bowl-back mandolin

I've seen pics of a few. Yeah, just too many strings. After two I think you hit the point of diminishing returns. And you just get lost in the peghead trying to tune the thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Schlegel View Post
    I've seen pics of a few. Yeah, just too many strings. After two I think you hit the point of diminishing returns. And you just get lost in the peghead trying to tune the thing.
    Schlegel, no doubt! My first thought when I saw it was, that must be a pain in the neck to tune. A slow tremolo sounded amazing, though!

The 12 strings are quite common. In the US they were built in quantity by Oscar Schmidt Company. I have seen one A model Gibson with 12 strings. 16 strings are ridiculous, assuming that that setup is 4 strings per course. Some ethnic instruments have 14 strings -- Filipino bandurrias for instance but I think the set up is still double-string courses.

Check out the latter posts from this thread.

BTW I wonder if that music store ordered this one: "Mariachi" Mandolin - 16 strings
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M%20Rb%2016.JPG 
Views:	618 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	86021   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	602-16-fr.jpg 
Views:	1494 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	86022   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	instru_75.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	86023  

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Registered User Terry Allan Hall's Avatar

Pawn shop I check out, from time to time, had a 12-string (triple-strung) flat-back mandolin, made (I think) in Germany...looked like WWII-era or thereabouts. Kinda in the Lyon & Healy style, it seemed. If it's still there next time I pop in, I'm take a cell-phone shot of it.

Even w/ lowish action, it was/is a bear to play fast on.

the people who can play those things must have massive hands..... bet they sound pretty neat though