Thread: The Cleverlys

Default The Cleverlys

No mandolin but these guy's are a hoot. And good....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgcCK...feature=g-vrec
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Default Re: The Cleverlys

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post

Holy Crap.. That is awesome!

That video is from the RFD-TV's Larry's Country Diner show and yes they are a hoot.

I love these guys. Thanks, Charley for the post.

From their web site. There seems to be just a little tongue in cheek here, but I can't really tell if they are playing roles or not a la Red Knuckles and the Trailblazers. Some mandolin content here.

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I have seen them before, It`s a shame to let so much talent go to waste....The modern style of comedy just ain`t funny to me, not like like Bob Hope. Minnie Pearl etc....now we have Andrew Dice Clay where every joke has some dirty words in them, also Richard Pryor, just has to be dirty and people laugh and think it`s funny....GEEEZE

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I love these guys. Thanks, Charley for the post.

From their web site. There seems to be just a little tongue in cheek here, but I can't really tell if they are playing roles or not a la Red Knuckles and the Trailblazers. Some mandolin content here.
    The guy who plays Otto the fiddle player is a good mandolin picker. He swaps off on some songs. The bass player just went to the Clay Hess Band.

I was trying to post this video so will try again. Digger looks much younger as Paul Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post

Awsome, nice venue too. Looks like a great place to see some high quality act up close & personal.

[QUOTE=Dobe;1049773]Awsome, nice venue too. Looks like a great place to see some high quality act up close & personal.

Upon futher review I guess It's probably an RFDTV studio. Nice Mayberrification though.

nevermind.

I saw The Cleverlys for the first time at the Graves Mountain Bluegrass Festival in Syria, VA last weekend.

They were definitely entertaining comedians and good musicians with good vocal harmonies. The banjo player even dropped to his knees and quoted the "miniature stonehenge" tune from Spinal Tap during one number.

Their version of Beyonce's "Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It)" was a crowd favorite, but the one that brought my buddy out of his seat laughing was their cover of the 1971 Hocus Pocus' tune "Focus" -- I "lived through" the original and I never thought I'd hear it done by a bluegrass band!

Catch them if they are appearing near you...
    "Got time to breathe, got time for music" -- Briscoe Darling