Thread: Bridge & string spacing question

Blog Entries

Default Bridge & string spacing question

So, I strung my Saga tonight for the first (and hopefully not last) time. The bridge is weird. The strings' spacing is odd; they strings don't seem to fit into the carve-outs in the bridge. Are there supposed to be grooves in the bridge, as there are in the nut? (And are there technical terms for the "carve outs in the bridge" and the "grooves in the nut"?) Here's a picture in case my description is as incompetent as my inlay: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mandolin build 006.jpg 
Views:	981 
Size:	136.6 KB 
ID:	86517
    I just want to note that in the picture you cant really see it but the inboard G is crowding the inboard edge of that carve out. Is this the way it's supposed to be? If not, what do I do?

Default Re: Bridge & string spacing question

You file slots in the bridge saddle just like you do in the nut. Spacing is up to you. The "carve outs" are sometimes called ramps. They are used to compensate the bridge.
    Bill Snyder

Both your D strings are too far over towards the G (you can see the extra groove below the lower D) It looks like the string spacing is very ballpark, and you should probably reestablish the whole lay-out. As you say, the inner G and E strings where they presently sit are crowding the compensation cut-outs and are at the closest to them that they can be, short of cutting and reestablishing new compensation positions, which can also be done, but is not recommended. It is best to establish the positions of the two outside G and E string pairs, respecting the outer compensations, and then set the inner A and D pairs so that all the spacings match.
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

I'd remove the bridge from the mandolin & mark the centre of each 'ramp' with a sharp pencil.I'd then decide how wide apart you want the strings to be for 'you'. I just measured the bridge spacing on both my instruments & i find that they're almost identical.
    The measurements are string centre to centre :- G = 5/32" / D = 1/8" / A = 1/8" / E = 1/8". Mark out your bridge out using those dimensions,re-fit the bridge with the strings pretty loose & push the strings to those positions to see how they look.If they look ok & the strings aren't too close to the fingerboard edge,remove the bridge & with a sharp blade make shallow notches in the bridge just to prevent the strings from slipping.You can make the notches slightly wider for the G & D strings,but the A & E strings will soon find their own level & 'bed-in'.If you want the strings wider apart,just mark out where you want them & do the same.
    I fitted a new bridge to a mandolin some years back.When it arrived i found that it was a flat bridge.My mandolin had a radiused f/board so i had to radius the new bridge saddle first. I then did just as i've described.It's nice if you have the 'correct' tools for the job,but as long as you don't go too deep or wide with the slots,the strings will eventually form their own.It's when the slots are too deep or wide (especially wide) that the strings might start to buzz.
    Fretbear above has it right as well,so using his & my advice,you should get the job done to your requirements ok - just 'think things thro.before you do',
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Blog Entries

Thanks, gentlemen. I'll do that this morning. I guess this was obvious, in retrospect, but sometimes it takes the experienced people to make the obvious obvious.

I don't think it's the 'making it obvious' that helps, it simply reinforces what you already knew,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Blog Entries

No, usually the lessons I learn are obvious in retrospect. Most often, they give me a headache. Because I slap my head and say, "Damn, that was obvious!" Which of course it wasn't, or I'd have done it to begin with.

Still a mandolin fighter Mandophyte's Avatar

Belbein, you might find this guide helpful.
    John

Social Groups: FFcP, A Song-a-Week
    ABC. Notation for the tabophobic: ABC intro, ABCexplorer, Making Music with ABC Plus by Guido Gonzato.
    FFcP: Just do it! (Any genre, (Honest!) just ignore the jazz references.)
    Eastman 604, 2007 | Thomas Buchanan Octave Mandolin, 2010

Blog Entries

Thanks, Mandophyte. I re-set the string spacing last night. But I'll keep this around the shop, since there are obviously more of these babies in my future.