Thread: Chords/Strumming for beginners

Default Chords/Strumming for beginners

Hi All

I’m very new to mandolin and music in general, I’m working my way through beginner exercises, songs and music theory and feel that I at least know what I should be doing and it’s mainly just practice, practice, practice.

But I have no idea at all about strumming/chords, I’ve only played a very little bass and tenor banjo previously and so it’s always been single strings. I’ve found plenty of examples of chord charts and how to play individual chords but what I’m really looking for is any resources to get me started reading and playing chords or any recommendations for good starter songs to play along with?

So far I’m mainly interested in folk, pop/rock and some irish trad but I’ll happily play nursery rhymes if it helps me get a clue.

Any suggestions much appreciated, thanks.

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

Default Re: Chords/Strumming for beginners

Well, in American bluegrass and some old time music, the mandolin strums the chords on the off beat (beats 2 & 4). This is done as a chop chord (a percussive method of making a chord where you strike the chord and then lift the fingers quickly to give it a truncated, choppy sound).
    However, this is NOT how chords are played in other forms of music for the mandolin.
    I would spend some time looking at videos of mandolins playing in bands that you like. Listen to the song carefully and watch how the mandolin accompanies it. It'll be of great help to count the beats as the song is played and watch where the mandolin strums the chords.
    Bill

This site has some free stuff that may interest you. Good luck!
    http://www.freeguitarvideos.com/mandolin/catalog.html
    Simple rule #1: If you do not go after what you want, you'll never have it.
    Simple rule #2: If you do not ask, the answer will always be no.
    Simple rule #3: If you do not step forward, you will always be in the same place.

Find the Mandolin Cafe Chord Finder link on the site's front page upper left. Look for the two finger versions of chords G, C, and D. Try "She'll be Commin' Round the Mountain" . Starting with G.; Switch to D the second time the word "comes" is heard. Switch back to G at the third use of "comes" . Switch to the C chord at the fourth "comming" and back to G at the fifth "comming"" Go to D on the word "Mountain" and go back to G on the final "comes" Repeat as necessary!

Scott