Thread: Weber Bitterroot

Default Weber Bitterroot

I played one today and it was pretty nice. It was a custom finish maple model. Any thoughts on these mandolins. They seem to be very well built and are finished very nicely.

Default Re: Weber Bitterroot

Had mine since 2002, love it. Back then the side/backs weren't normally maple, rather mahogany. Mine is a "Custom Gold" with the maple and godl hardware.

The build quality of Weber instruments is top notch by any standard. Whether the tone & playability swings it for you,only you can decide. But if it does,then you won't be disappointed,& their after sales service / help with any issues, is equal to the quality of their instruments,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I had a custom Bitterroot for quite a while that was a very fine mandolin. It had the maple back and sides with gold hardware and a stunning "faded leather" finish. I wish I still had that one around. Very nice.

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

I had one of the original mahogany back & sides type a few years ago. Good sounding LOUD mando. I sold it, but not because I didn't like it. It played well, was VERY sturdy and well built. Now in the hands of a young player in Tennessee.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Blog Entries

I've played several Bitterroots, both maple & mahogany. Like Webers in general they were built very solid, great fit & finish and sounded fine to my ear. Wouldn't mind having a mahogany one as a matter of fact.
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

Blog Entries

I had a 2005 maple/gold BItteroot with red spruce top, custom neck, traditional Brekke bridge, etc.

It was a complete monster, although the action was very rough going. No matter what I did, I couldn't seem to get it to be anything but stiff as heck. It was very hard to fret, but, like I said, it was a monster. It was probably the loudest mandolin I've ever played, and it had this really strong, muscular tone. It was definitely not a Thile machine. Think more Sam Bush I guess.

The reason I traded it was because I wanted the rest of the cosmetic upgrades that Weber offers, which I know is gluttony but it's true nevertheless. I also wanted to have a mandolin that fretted more easily. So, I traded it plus some additional funds for my custom Weber Fern. I appointed it the same, which basically means I got the red spruce top again. The volum eisn't quite what that Bitteroot was, but that was an exceptional example of mandolin volume. The tone is more fine, and the sustain is out of this world, which I like. It also plays very, very easily.

I actually listed my Fern for sale in the classifieds a few months ago for various reasons, including needing a setup. Thankfully, I decided to have Ward Elliott work on it for me and tweak a few things and now it's back in top form. I am sooo happy I didn't sell it.

My thoughts on a new Bitteroot are that you will love it. They come standard now with maple back and sides and a traditional Brekke bridge. I think some players didn't like the mahogany back and sides and original Brekke bridge on the earlier Bitteroots because those features result in a smoother, humming tone. The tone the masses want in a mandolin is cutting, woody, loud, etc. Weber retooled its line a few years ago and changed some standard specs to match probably what they were geting requests for most often: maple back and sides and the traditional Brekke bridge. I think every model now comes standard with those two options.

Remember, if you decide to get a new Bitteroot you may want to consider having it custom made. The price to get started is no different. You just have to pay for customizations. For example, if you want a different kind of top wood it's $125 or something like that. I think a custom neck was the same.

Of the three big mandolin small production companies, Weber is the smallest and is the best at making customizations, simply because they hag their hat on working closely with the customer. Gibson and Collings will do customizations too, as I understand, but I don't think they put as much emphasis on it. Breedlove may or may not. I'm not sure.

Of course, people have great experiences with independent builders and they will often do customizations too. Some will not. You really get a great deal with Weber, if for no other reason than they have all of the resources to do whatever you want.
    Hamlett Two-Point
    Eastman MD805
    Schertler DYN-M + Yellow
    http://www.youtube.com/ktbriggs
    https://www.facebook.com/kevin.briggs.1213

We have a local luthier who is also a Weber dealer. I agree Kevin the Bitteroot does fret a bit stiff. It definetly can push some air and I am kind of afraid to see what it sounds like after it opens up. The wife went with me to the store and said if I buy that thing see is going to have to move. I think I will get her some ear muffs. The luthier said he can fix the action to my liking. When I pick it up we are going back to his shop and make the adjustments and hand it to me to play. If I dont like it he will adjust again. I guess you cant ask for more than that for service.

The Webers are great and I'm sure you would be happy with it, but something about them has just never done it for me

I picked up the Bitterroot today. I bought form Ken Bailey in Plant City Florida. He did a great job setting it up. Ken builds guitars and is a very skill luthier, I am glad I picked his little store. We have company in and they are getting married this weekend so I will have little time to play it. My house looks like a flower shop. The women are putting together flowers and making decorations and cackling like hens. I think am going to move out to trailer.

<attempt to engage commerce edited by Moderator>
    Last edited by Ted Eschliman; Jun-16-2012 at 11:17am.

Registered User frenchquarterfly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Terrapfin View Post
    <attempt to engage commerce edited by Moderator>

Hi, Mr. Terrapfin !

'Caught your comment 'bout your intention to sell your early Weber Bitterroot.
    This is an F-style model you're speaking of . . . . is this correct?
    Kindly let us know what's your bottom-dollar price.

(Or-- if you'd otherwise prefer, instead inquire for my direct contact info.)

Ooops !
    I misread Terrapfin's long ago posting date
    --mistakenly thinking that it was less than only 2 weeks old.
    'Sorry 'bout that.
    Last edited by Ted Eschliman; Jun-16-2012 at 11:17am. Reason: Correction of this Novice's (my) posting error !