Thread: Gibson F-5 Info/Identification help needed

Default Gibson F-5 Info/Identification help needed

I recently inherited what I believe is a Gibson F-5 Mandolin. My grandfather played the mandolin, and I believe he had a total of three mandolins. This Gibson is the first I have seen from his collection. I have looked inside for a sticker or stamped number or any other kind of identifying marks to better learn its date of manufacture and value. I would like to be able to share it's story. I have been learning guitar from a blue grass inspired teacher, and the opportunity to add a mandolin to my collection is very exciting to me.

Thanks in advance for your help in directing me to more information in helping me identify this piece of musical art and musical history!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050422.JPG 
Views:	212 
Size:	141.2 KB 
ID:	85891Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050414.JPG 
Views:	229 
Size:	137.7 KB 
ID:	85892Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050417.JPG 
Views:	219 
Size:	144.5 KB 
ID:	85893Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050415.JPG 
Views:	238 
Size:	142.3 KB 
ID:	85894Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050416.JPG 
Views:	233 
Size:	145.7 KB 
ID:	85895Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050421.JPG 
Views:	219 
Size:	140.3 KB 
ID:	85896

Default Re: Gibson F-5 Info/Identification help needed

Quote Originally Posted by scottyf5 View Post
    I recently inherited what I believe is a Gibson F-5 Mandolin. My grandfather played the mandolin, and I believe he had a total of three mandolins. This Gibson is the first I have seen from his collection. I have looked inside for a sticker or stamped number or any other kind of identifying marks to better learn its date of manufacture and value. I would like to be able to share it's story. I have been learning guitar from a blue grass inspired teacher, and the opportunity to add a mandolin to my collection is very exciting to me.

Thanks in advance for your help in directing me to more information in helping me identify this piece of musical art and musical history!
    When you looked inside were there any labels or numbers?

You have inhertied a really nice fake copy of a Gibson F5 Fern model. Hard to put a value on it without playing it and hearing how it sounds and plays but I would put it in the $1000 to $3000 range. It does not appear to be the work of a well known luthier that was known to copy Gibsons to me. Many did leave their marks somewhere on the mandolin. Sometimes on the underside of the top. Try putting a mirror inside the F holes to look up at the top for a makers mark.

I'm actually surprised he didn't engrave the tailpiece cover as well. He went to a lot of trouble on the headstock.

Quote Originally Posted by f5loar View Post
    You have inhertied a really nice fake copy of a Gibson F5 Fern model. Hard to put a value on it without playing it and hearing how it sounds and plays but I would put it in the $1000 to $3000 range. It does not appear to be the work of a well known luthier that was known to copy Gibsons to me. Many did leave their marks somewhere on the mandolin. Sometimes on the underside of the top. Try putting a mirror inside the F holes to look up at the top for a makers mark.
    I am trying to get a view with a mirror. Thought it was curious there wasn't a sticker...

Well....... original Gibson stickers have been known to fall out over time as the cheap glue dries out. Some are removed on purpose while some real labels are added to fake copies. I'm surprised this one did not have a fake label to go in it. Engraved Gibson tailpiece would have been a nice addition as well as a real Gibson bridge. Tuners are kinda cheap imports.

For a copy, that looks to be a very nice instrument.

Wondering who actually made it?