Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Return of MAS? HELP!

Default Return of MAS? HELP!

I've been happily married to my Rattlesnake F-5 for sometime and I thought my MAS was gone ...

But, recently I have a serious jones for a Recording King Resonator Mandolin! The MAS for F-5s is gone but this is a different category ...

While you're at it ... any happy owners out there and how do they play?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DV016_Jpg_Large_423798_600_champagne_matte_V.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	85872  

Default Re: Return of MAS? HELP!

Sorry about the MAS, unfortunately there is no cure as far as I know. Only temporary fixes, luckily I just got a new mando yesterday so my MAS is under control... for now.

-Tristan
    Pierce Luthiery - pluthiery.tumblr.com

Blog Entries

I played the Recording King res when I was shopping around. I ended up getting the National RM-1. They will both "get 'er done", but to my ears the National has a much better tone. I found the Recording King was too brassy. The National still sounds mandolinny.

In terms of mojo, they both are really cool looking, but again, the National in my opinion wins there too, with a round almost A shaped mandolinny body of wood, with the steampunk resonator grill, I fell in love with it.

These are my own opinions, no financial interest, and tastes are different. I think the Recording King could make you happy for the rest of your life, just like the National, and with either one you can kill flies and peel paint from across the room with your sonic emmenation, and have banjo players ask you to play softer fercryinoutloud. But the more complex warmer sound of the National, and its handsome looks just won me over.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

Oh, by way of full disclosure,resonators do not cure MAS. Just a warning....

The entire staff
    funny....

MAS.......................as long as you play the mandolin, its there just lurking under the surface then .......bingo it comes to the forefront for no good reason. I recently bought a Kentucky KM 1500 which is just a killer mando, then I go into the local store and just playing around (helping my brother in law select a uke) pick up a Big Muddy to play. Guess what, now I own a Big Muddy too. I don't get it, but I guess its a good addiction. "Hi, my name is Mike and I am addicted to buying and playing mandolins........."

Haven't played the Recording King, but it may put the MAS into remission!
    Thanks

Several mandolins of varying quality-any one of which deserves a better player than I am.......

Consider that you're asking a forum full of 'mando-enablers' for help with MAS...

I say add that cool sounding resonator to the stable!
    Mike

Those who think they should think, like they think others think they should think, need to think out their thinking, I think.

No envejecemos, maduramos. -Pablo Picasso

They started building resonator mandolins (also guitars and ukes) in China more than a decade ago, and importing them under labels like "Johnson" and "Republic." The design of the mandolins is based (not exactly) on the pre-WWII National mandolins built in Chicago. The Asian imports had shorter scales than the old Nationals, but had the brass bodies with chrome or nickel plating, the "biscuit" resonator construction, and similar silhouettes.

Many of us were glad to find a new source of resonator mandolins, since prices on the old ones had gotten pretty steep. (I bought a Johnson resonator ukulele, after seriously envying those who'd scored pre-war Nationals at multi-K prices.) However, a certain level of disappointment set in, as the sound of the Johnsons and Republics wasn't up to that of the older mandolins, and definitely not as good as the new resonator mandolins the re-formed National Resophonic company was making.

I have been told the the Recording King instruments, though built on the same basic chassis as the Johnsons and Republics, have a better cone and a better sound. However, I've no direct experience. I still have my Johnson uke, but purchased and subsequently traded away a Johnson tri-cone resonator guitar which, in my opinion, didn't "cut it."

While not up to the US-made Nationals, the Recording King is a fraction of the cost, and you can determine if you like the sound and want to have a reso-mandolin in your arsenal.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Thanx guys. When I've heard them played, I like the natural echo on it that I can only get by playing other mandolins in the bathroom. If I do go with a Recording King, I'd go with the 998-E, which is more pleasing; aesthetically. Also, Recording Kings are relatively inexpensive ...

Name:	MA998E_front-detail.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	85901   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MA998E_headstock-front.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	85902  

I haven't played the Recording King but all the all metal resonators I have played have been 'orrible.
    Trevor
    Formerly of The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) Brighton England now retired.

I've played several of the Recording King resomandos and could not live with the sound. Tinny, loud bad tone is primarily BAD TONE.
    The RM-1 is a different beast altogether and very, very desirable but not comperable in price.
    Republic is a stateside outfit making a fairly broad line of resos. I'm waiting for them to build some tenors to see how my resistance holds up. They aim for a reasonable price point and if they could be convinced to build some mandolins I'm sure they could sell tens of them!
    Last edited by Mike Snyder; May-03-2012 at 5:31am. Reason: tens
    Mike Snyder

Registered User Robert Mitchell's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Post Re: Return of MAS? HELP!

I wonder if there is a MAS rehab facility?????
    MITCH

GIBSON 2016 F9 CUSTOM
    WEBER YELLOWSTONE 2011 F5
    WEBER YELLOWSTONE 2005 F5

Blog Entries

They are totally different animals. Should I ever have cash to burn, I'll get a Commodium resonator. I've only ever played a new National. It was heavy but L O U D and still sounded mandolinny not like the metal bodied sounds I hear on Yank's recordings. I guess it depends a bit on what you want the instrument to sound like.

Jamie

PS. Trainmaster
    Yeah... your spouse calls it The Doghouse and it's as effective as rehab for true MAS-addicts.
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Going below in $$ what you have now is not really true MAS. It's more of a daily fix for a sufferer of MAS. The thrill won't last long especially on something like this. It's not replacing the Snake. So indulge freely!

I'm fighting Resonator MAS right now, too!!

I've played all the major options for Reso-Mando, and have concluded that if you want that type of sound, and really want the BIG SMILE, the RM-1 is really what to save for and buy. YMMV, but not by much!

If I don't buy the Grady or the new Mowry in the Classifieds, the RM-1 is my next purchase. That's my MAS, and my name is Dave.
    2005 Rigel G5 #2196
    2005 Phoenix Jazz #400
    1988 Jeff Traugott Acoustic #4
    2012 Eastman 905 Archtop Guitar, BLOND!

Remember to grin while you pick, it throws folks off!

you're dreaming - count to 10 backwards and snap out of it!

Quote Originally Posted by trainmaster View Post
    You mean this isn't the MAS rehab facility? What did I do, come in the wrong door? I thought the 12 step program was based here. I'm in trouble now. I've got a wicked case of MAS going for an O.M. at the moment and I figured you folks could help me get out of it. There may be only one way out!

Bob
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

Blog Entries

Hey Mick, I would strongly suggest trying a National RM-1. Just so you know. I would not want you getting the Recording King and finding yourself later jonesing for a National. What you ultimately purchase is up to you, but it would be good to make as informed a choice as possible.

That being said, resonators are huge gobs of fun. Nobody beats the res. Especially in a public situation, a pick up band for a contradance for example. Nobody will stand in front of you so you will naturally move to the front of the stage.

The entire staff
    funny....

Alright guys ... I'll look at the RM-1 ...

Now I'm jonesing for the National RM-1 ... but it costs 4x as much!!! You guys aren't any help ... you're enablers!!!

Name:	National_RM-1_mandolin.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	108.6 KB 
ID:	85942  
    Last edited by Mandolin Mick; May-03-2012 at 4:09pm.

And a glass slide to go with it too...
    Mike

Those who think they should think, like they think others think they should think, need to think out their thinking, I think.

No envejecemos, maduramos. -Pablo Picasso

The UK-made Wailing resonator mandolin is another option, less expensive than the National. I used to hear one at some local jam sessions and it was plenty loud, not as harsh as the Johnson/Republic varieties. Nowhere near as smooth or "mandolin-y" as the National, but not as many buxx either.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Blog Entries

Reso-mas is a particularly virulent form of mas. It really is.

Yep, the RM-1 is more costly. And that is a balance we all have to sort out. In my reso tasting, I felt the cost was justified. For what I wanted, the way I play.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

Reso-mas is a particularly virulent form of mas. It really is.

Yep, the RM-1 is more costly. And that is a balance we all have to sort out. In my reso tasting, I felt the cost was justified. For what I wanted, the way I play.

Think of it this way. You are saving money. Because if you get the Recording King, and later you will want the RM-1 anyway, so this way we just cut to the chase.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

NFI on my part, I think you should get what makes you happy. Just sharing my particular taste in resonators with you. Two clips, both beautifully played. Both instruments with mojo to spare.

Check out the tone of this vid. It captures the "woodieness" of the RM-1, I think. While still loud as two taxis in the city, it still is very mandolinny.

While this is an example of the brassiness of the all metal Recording King. Also really nice, but it doesn't sound like a mandolin to me.

The entire staff
    funny....

Tried to cure GAS once by buying a pre-war Martin.
    I took it home to show my wife,
    then the war started!
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band