Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New vs. Used Economics

Blog Entries

Default Re: New vs. Used Economics

Quote Originally Posted by OldSausage View Post
    Oh get a new one, what the heck. Who wants to buy a mando that wasn't good enough for its previous owner.
    Aww.... you've just put me right off that '25 Fern I've been drooling over
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

My opinion on this is go for the sound you after in an instrument. Second, and equally important, make sure its feel and playability on the fingerboard is what you like. Work out which brand and model of instrument best meets these two criteria. Then do a lot A-B comparisons with your favourite choices. Spend a fair bit of time on this to work out exactly what you want and that this will meet your expectations in the future. Ed Goist's quote from Bob Clark about how much you are prepared to pay for the sound and type of instrument you want is balanced against the risks of investing money in your preferred choice. Then determine whether you want to buy new or spend the time to find a used one from a reputable dealer or seller.

I have generally purchased new from small backyard instrument makers with good reputations, and recently I have not paid much more than $1200 for a mandolin. And generally, I have not invested heavily in the one instrument over perhaps having two instruments. I play a wide variety of styles and prefer having a couple of instruments so that I can pick the one for the timbre and tone in a tune or a song. If you are playing one style of mandolin music, then go for one mandolin that does the job for you.

If you are prepared to pay a lot more than $1200, then you may want to check out used mandolins that have been well looked after and save yourself the money. In the US, there are so many mandolins that are made with spruce tops and maple back and sides. While there are slight differences in tonal response, they are all going to sound pretty similar because of the combination of woods used. Other factors such as projection, tonal balance across the strings, and appearance are going to be factors that will ultimately determine your choice. If you want to break away from that paradigm, find a mandolin made of different woods, with different construction, and has a lovely open, warm, resonant, and responsive tone.

If you are concerned about economics that means you want some money back on investment, you might have to look at which makes and mandolin of mandolin sell well second-hand. And then buying used makes more sense. Personally, if this is for your 50th birthday, then you might want to buy something a bit more special and pay a bit more for it. This does not guarantee your ultimate satisfaction. The hedonic effect of buying anything material, be it a mandolin or a car, determines that our satisfaction may not last for ever, and we will forever be searching to find that ultimate mandolin, having gone through lots of purchases to find our ultimate choice. Think through it carefully, and decide whether you want to spend the extra money saved on a holiday with your family or throw a fantastic party for all your friends and family.

Quote Originally Posted by RobP View Post
    Now, I know that brand new mandolins, like brand new cars, are a joy to own. But I am having trouble swallowing the idea of spending essentially an incremental $500-$1500 for that pleasure.
    Hey Rob,

If you can save something closer to the $1500 end of your spectrum, then the used may be worth it. If all you can save is $500, it may not.

I bought my first banjo this past summer. Instead of getting an entry-level new banjo for $500 that included a set-up and a gig bag, I decided to buy used. Found a Fiesta for $150. The neck was straight and the intonation was good, so I thought I was good to go.

Then I decided that I needed to get a setup done after all. That was over $100.

Then I needed a case (my store didn't sell gig bags separately). That was almost another $100.

Then I needed a capo and suspender capo. Another $40.

So that was about $400 for a banjo that really isn't so great. Bit of a false economy. Every time I go into my local music store, I play one of those $500 jobs and think about the mistake I made. Of course, I also try some of the more expensive ones!

I'm pretty sure how this is going to end.

Paul

Still Picking and Sawing Jack Roberts's Avatar

'Round about my 50th birthday I bought myself a beat up old A-1. I have since sold the purchased-new Collings MF I owned at the time, and the A-1 is my pride and joy.

It is ugly, dinged and cracked, like its owner, but I play it at home every day and in front of an audience whenever I have a chance. Unlike its owner, it does everything well.

There are a lot of used instruments out there, and one is more likely to find a perfect fit in a used instrument than a new.
    Ha, ha! keep time: how sour sweet music is,
    When time is broke and no proportion kept!
    --William Shakespeare

Blog Entries

Now, I know that brand new mandolins, like brand new cars, are a joy to own. But I am having trouble swallowing the idea of spending essentially an incremental $500-$1500 for that pleasure.
    Sounds like you have answered your own question. I have owned Collings, both A and F, and if you like that sound, a new one won't sound any better because it is new.

Well, I decided to buy New. I had spent a lot of time playing a new Collings MT at Mackenzie River Music in Eugene. I decided to finally go back and buy it there new, rather than look for a used one on the Cafe. I had 2 reasons. First, I like the idea of being able to play something before buying. Second, I had spent a fair amount of time in the shop and the staff was super-helpful. And, they have a really nice selection of instruments and I felt good about being able to support a great local music vendor.

The MT is fantastic!

Thanks for all the comments

Rob (quicky counting down to 50)
    Follow the Flatt Stanley Incident on Facebook

Listen to original tune "When You Fly" by my old band The Kindreds

Okay, I'm with you fellas tburcham's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RobP View Post
    Well, I decided to buy New. I had spent a lot of time playing a new Collings MT at Mackenzie River Music in Eugene. I decided to finally go back and buy it there new, rather than look for a used one on the Cafe. I had 2 reasons. First, I like the idea of being able to play something before buying. Second, I had spent a fair amount of time in the shop and the staff was super-helpful. And, they have a really nice selection of instruments and I felt good about being able to support a great local music vendor.

The MT is fantastic!

Thanks for all the comments

Rob (quicky counting down to 50)
    Good for you Rob! Supporting your local shop is good for the buyer and the seller...win...win. Collings...good decision!
    Tim Burcham
    Northfield Big Mon (Red Spruce/Red Maple)
    Gibson F-9 Custom
    1942 Strad-O-Lin
    1948-54 Gibson LG-3
    2011 Gibson J-45 True Vintage
    2017 Martin HD-28 VTS Custom Shop
    Bailey Mandolin Straps (NFI)
    Bell Arm-rests (NFI)

Blog Entries

You made the right decision, as supporting people who treated you well is an easy way to never regret the choice.

Enjoy your great mandolin.
    Collings MT2
    Breedlove OF
    Ellie eMando
    Schmergl Devastator

Blog Entries

Rob; congratulations on your new Collings MT!
    I'm sure it's an awesome instrument and you'll love owning it.
    It sounds like you made a thoughtful and well-reasoned decision.
    Well done.
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters