Thread: Sand bags, shot bags, etc.?

Blog Entries

Default Sand bags, shot bags, etc.?

What do you use for mobile and flexible weights when you can't get a clamp "in there"? Some people say sand bags, others shot bags.

If you make your own, can you tell me how? It would be nice if it were as simple as a double-bagged zip lock, but I fear not.

Default Re: Sand bags, shot bags, etc.?

I attended a workshop where the luthier used shot bags both for clamping and also as a neck rest.
    It was essentially a piece of blue jean leg, about 10" long, filled with shot and sewn together. The thing was mighty heavy, but also flexible. Conceivably, this could be made in different sizes. I don't think ziploc bags will be strong enough to deal with shot without spilling. That might work for sand though.
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    Phoenix Neoclassical #256
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you're gonna walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!

We have made sandbags from jeans pantlegs and they worked out pretty well, although lead shot would get very heavy. I have used kitty litter (unused) in the larger bags. There is a product called heavy sand made from zircon that's a lot heavier than regular sand but not as heavy as lead. I have had some cordura nylon sandbags for nearly 30 years and they still don't leak. I put the sand in ziplocs before stitching the bags up. Some of the better shot bags I've seen are made of suede or latigo leather and filled with shot. Very stable and very heavy.

Ready made bags would be available from theatrical and proffessional photography stores, often empty bags are also available.

If making your own bags or puchasing empty ones, shot is sold by jewellers supplies and lapidary supply houses.
    Hereby & forthwith, any instrument with an odd number of strings shall be considered broken. With regard to mix levels, usually the best approach is treating the mandolin the same as a cowbell.

Blog Entries

Thanks. I'll look. I'd rather avoid sewing, if I could. (Not averse to it, just not good at it.)

I used a gallon jug of water to set the tone bars on my Saga build. You could use some heavy duty rubber bands or even wrap in cloth like Martin Guitars does.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7