Thread: Tres/octave mando

49.479184 N, -86.20 W. Longitude rectified to Giza.

Default Tres/octave mando

Das right dudes

Its a octave mando, or a tres depending on how she gonna B strung up, but we aint there yet.

See, about 5 years or so back Bobalou gifted duh Padma this here billet of Mutant Spruce Lutz that he snafood on his visit to see the Mario DaCosta at Spruce Tone Woods.

Well me was very surprised with Bobs generosity and kindness that me promised to name the instrument after him when me got around to using it.

Now about a month or so ago my very own personal instrument had an amp fall on the body....real bad. So me decided to make me another one. It would be faster than fixin the mangled one.

and so here it is...."the Bobalou"

Mutant Lutz spruce top, cocobolo back with some banding me ran about 15 years ago from padauk, birch, cedar and spruce, balony inlayed ebony fret board, ribs and neck are wishbone construction in cedar, cantilevered fret board, and the trim gonna be padauk and holly. She gonna be around a 22 to 23 in. string length and possibly even an oval sound hole ~ we see when we gets there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bbob.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	86013

Here is the cedar body on its solara....notice the inside padauk corner block with the white holly strips. The holly strips and part of the padauk will stand proud of the ribs on the outside, that way me don't gotta inlay all that corner banding....sneakie eh!

Name:	bob.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	86014

Gooed on the back..............................Name:  th_PICT0581-1.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  4.0 KB

Commin up next is carving the top Lutz top plate....

More pics as it progresses.

blessings
    duh Padma
    Last edited by the padma; May-05-2012 at 9:31pm.
    If it gets the pig clean ~ use it.

Default Re: Tres/octave mando

That looks like it's gonna be sweeeet!

Scott

See next post.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0578.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	86098   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0584-1.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	86099   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0585-1.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	86100  

Name:	PICT0594-1.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	86101   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0586-1.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	86102  
    Last edited by the padma; May-08-2012 at 9:34am.

Carved the top and now scraping in the recurve.

Name:	PICT0578.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	86098

Top ready to get the back scorped out. By the way you ever been scorped out before?

Name:	PICT0584-1.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	86099

Name:	PICT0585-1.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	86105

then on to using the planes....

Name:	PICT0586-1.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	86102

Name:	PICT0224-1.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	86106

Here is the top all carved with the exception of its rosette. Stick around, this gonna a be a real fun carve.

Name:	PICT0587-1.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	86108

blessings
    duh Padma

The plate is mounted on an easel with a spinning head like a lazy susan. This way me can do complicated curved cuts without removing the blade or repositioning it or the work.

Here is the easel With the plate mounted. It looks like a flat top but it is actually 1/2 thick fully carved arch top cuz well the billet Bob gifted me was only 1 1/16 thick. Thinnest archtop me ever worked. The thickness of the plate where me carving the rosette is only 1/8 so me don't got much meat left if me mess up.

Name:	PICT0591.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	86163

In the next four pics the blade does not leave the workpiece as it is cutting the perimeter of one petal while I am spinning the easel head.

Name:	PICT0593-1.jpg 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	86164 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	127 
ID:	86165

Name:	PICT0595-1.jpg 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	86166 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0596-1.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	86167

Name:	PICT0598.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	86168 Click image for larger version. 

ID:	86165

Name:	PICT0599-1.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	86169

.........................Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xxx-2.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	86170

Next comes closing the box...

blessings
    duh Padma

Love that carving! BTW, love your crazy carved shop too...
    ===================================
    ... I'm a California Man!

Thank you Perry, very kind of you to mention it.

Well me back into doing this Bobalou Build

Gooin down duh lid

Name:	PICT0605-2.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	152.8 KB 
ID:	86201

Banding with holly and padauk.

Name:	PICT0004-3.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	86202

Name:	PICT0005-1.jpg 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	86203

Padauk and holly head stock plates back and front.

Name:	PICT0008-2.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	86204

Due to some unforeseen Cosmic B.S., the M.O.P fret board fell off the truck. So me made a padauk board.

Name:	PICT0007-2.jpg 
Size:	126.2 KB 
ID:	86206

Maple inlays

Name:	PICT0006-3.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	86208

working the neck

Name:	PICT0015-2.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	109.7 KB 
ID:	86209

Name:	PICT0017-1.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	117.1 KB 
ID:	86210

Tomorrow I route for the truss rod, install and close up the neck....then the sanding and patching....and on to finishing.

blessings
    duh ?adma

Oiled her up let dry, stained the oval carving, gold leafed the flowers.

Name:	PICT0020-1.jpg 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	86286

Let it sit for a few days before varnishing and more drying and then its on to stringing her up.

Name:	PICT0029-1.jpg 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	86287

Well she came out as a 4 course, 5 string 'zookie, or octave mando if you wish....But right now its tuned in 5ths.

Then me carved and gilded the headstock and tail piece ...not much but a bit...gold ain't cheap no more since the dark alliance capitalists have been hording it all.

Name:	PICT0039.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	127.6 KB 
ID:	86288

Popped the maple markers me had at the 5th and 12th and inlayed abalone instead. The maple just couldn't hold its own once the gild was on the carvings. Oiled then polyurethane.

This is not the best pic....but you can see the white holy side purfling runs way up under the cantilevered fret board. Me have been playing with this idea for a while now...still not happy with it yet. Gonna run that line all the way up and under the head stock plate in the next Zookie me get around to building.

Name:	PICT0042-1.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	86289

And of course dis is the coco back. Me liked working the rose wood.

Name:	PICT0040-2.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	101.7 KB 
ID:	86290

Well there you go doods....a Bobalouie Zookie, cedar, coco, padauk, black ebony bridge, nut, cover plate and heal. Oh, and a Mutant Spruce Lutz top.

Name:	PICT0060-2.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	86291

Hope you like it.

The Verdict: Ya, she does what me wanted her to do ~ sorta. Nice clear high double course .012s for lead picken. Good ring & projection off of the coco back. Mids are nice, but gotta loose that bottom .053 for a .04 something. Its a bit too loose for me and the box ain't quite big enough for such an obese string. Me got the sister to this coco back and in the future me gonna build the sister to this Zookie... only it will be a full blown arch top. But you best not be holding your breath.

After carving this Zookie me has been thinking of doing the full carved treatment on something. You know, little gilded flowers around the sound hole, and all around the edge instead of MOP or banding. Ya ...thinking about it. Maybe on another 17" arch top Padma Special.

blessings
    duh Padma

PS: This thread has 300 hits, but just 2, thats right, just two posted comments. Wats duh matter, you doodes only understand F5s?
    Makes me ask self why me be bothering to go through the trouble of sharing me efforts with yo'all.
    Well me throw down one more build thread,see your response and then decide if me gonna stick around dis here forum.
    Last edited by the padma; May-12-2012 at 2:27pm.

Blog Entries

Looks pretty cookie-lisciuos, Padma. I would love to hear the sound of it with the high pair. I like the soundhole detail.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Very nice , I like the details ,has a very Euro vibe , try a .048
    I have a Yairi 4 string and have a .048 , but with a small box I always wish that it had a little more bass
    I was thinking of trying a .05 something
    I have 2 archtops now that i am working on , one is strung up with a .070 (CGDA) and the other will be .054 (GDAE)
    If you decide to sell , I am interested in 4 and 5 strings

Name:	nirai_p02.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	86294

Thanks, Padma, for posting such great photodocumentation. I appreciate your creative and unconventional approaches to design and building. I'd love to know how it sounds, if you have the capability to post an audio or audio/video clip. In particular, I'm wondering about how the elongated shape affects tone, in comparison to the more typical rounder bodied instruments. I play octave mando myself, and have sampled many. Of the instruments I've played, only the octophone was similar in shape, but it was also very lightly built and strung, so it didn't have much power.

I'm wondering about your thoughts on this. For me, this sort of comparison is not intended in a competitive way, but more in a let's try to characterize and understand the diversity that's out there kind of way.
    KE
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    Phoenix Neoclassical #256
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you're gonna walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!

Yo Karen,

Yay Karen,

them words you spreadin out are indicative of comparative analaysis....nothin wrong with that except me has taken a non comparative, backwards approach to building and looering around. See me no musician, just an old wood butcher who took it in him head to build some things with strings. Ya I read this that and the other on building boxes with strings, and simply just started stringing up broken hockey sticks with a tin can and a string. It all grew form there. Since me not a picker,me don't gotts no preconceived notions of what suppose to sound good. Me has learned how to shift the tone this way or that a way a tad in a build while talking with the wood and letting her know what we need her to be doing. Built me a Jazz Guitar for a curendero using that approach for a 40-50s jazz sound...well wouldn't you know it, the curendero described it as
    the sound is perfect like a soft velvet in my mind, and in my mouth taste like delicious chocolate and deep old red Carmener - Couve wine whit a kind of nostalgic parfum a the night of the fool moon in my old window...wen in my past I have dream about Play this guitar.

Regarding these instruments....Ya we is fast approaching giving some thought to the voiceing. Just jointed the tops and backs, know the UKE picker real good and the mandolininst, heard him once...and ya me can tweak it for him personality. Still humminnn about the guitarist, specially when me told him me gonna voice it for open tuning in C# minor with A down at 432hz. So we see...

HOw do you compare " power to lightly strung ?"... are we talking volume as in amplitude? Me aim for light as possible for what I call a clear voice.

SOmetimes me instal tone generator plates ( Virzi Plate) although the plates been around some 2-3000 years before the brothers pulled patten.

This is a video of some older dulcimers and is about 9 years old...but the sound, it is indicative of this style of wishbone construction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeYSSD0H6O4[/video]

blessings
    duh Padma

[QUOTE=the padma;1051626]
    Yay Karen,

them words you spreadin out are indicative of comparative analaysis....nothin wrong with that except me has taken a non comparative, backwards approach to building and looering around. See me no musician, just an old wood butcher who took it in him head to build some things with strings.

HOw do you compare " power to lightly strung ?"... are we talking volume as in amplitude? Me aim for light as possible for what I call a clear voice."

Padma-
    I'm kind of the opposite... I've been a player since childhood... guitar and later mandolin and most recently octave mandolin. I know when I have an instrument in my hands that can respond to what I need as a player. My interest in building and repair work comes from those experiences. First, learning to adjust and maintain my own instruments, and then learning more about how to tweak things to make them work better... and then ultimately learning more about variations in design and building elements and seeking to understand how they might affect things like dynamic range, intonation, ergonomics, tone, etc. I don't think there's always a clear causality. It seems to me that luthiery is a kind of alchemy where one can control many aspects, but the whole is greater than the sum of the parts --and all of that interacts with the player's hands, skills and preferences.

thanks for the link... I can't watch/listen at the moment, but will do later when I'm at home.

Re: your question about "power"... it's not just volume to me, but range. My preference is for instruments that produce a clear and pleasant tone when played very softly, medium, or when driven hard for volume. Some instruments only sound good in the middle of that spectrum... a soft touch doesn't bring out good tone, and a heavy hand overdrives the top... it's like when you press on a car accelerator and there's no "pick up". So- that's more what I meant. I found the octofone (the one I played, at least) just didn't have much range.

KE
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    Phoenix Neoclassical #256
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you're gonna walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!

Quote Originally Posted by otterly2k View Post
    Re: your question about "power"... it's not just volume to me, but range. My preference is for instruments that produce a clear and pleasant tone when played very softly, medium, or when driven hard for volume. Some instruments only sound good in the middle of that spectrum... a soft touch doesn't bring out good tone, and a heavy hand overdrives the top... it's like when you press on a car accelerator and there's no "pick up". So- that's more what I meant. I found the octofone (the one I played, at least) just didn't have much range.
    Karen: I think the term you are looking for is projection. I have an old Embergher bowlback that is built super-light but its responsiveness to the player's touch is phenomenal. I have yet to find that in any carved top instrument tho the ones that do appeal to me approach that sort of responsiveness.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Registered User Matt the Mead Maker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the padma View Post

Name:	xxx-2.jpg 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	86170
    Absolutely stellar!
    32° AASR