Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Michele Maratea Bowlback

Default Michele Maratea Bowlback

Hi there,

My name's James, I'm new to the Mandolin world, though I have been playing electric bass for about 8 years.

I was given a Michele Maratea bowlback Mandolin earlier in the week, and I'm looking forward to starting to play. It's missing the E strings, so I've ordered a new set and am looking to restring the whole thing. I wanted to have a go at playing today (without the E strings) so I tuned it up and discovered that the G string buzzes on the second fret, and that the third and 4th fret both play the same note, so I guess the intonation is off.

I've added some pictures, I wondered if you guys could tell me the best course of action? The bridge for the G string looks a bit iffy/low compared to the other 3, perhaps that's something to do with it? The frets look a bit dodgy too...

Any pointers you can give would be greatly appreciated!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC07177.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	84875Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC07179.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	84876Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC07180.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	84877

Default Re: Michele Maratea Bowlback

Get thee to a luthier!! First of all your bridge is missing the bone saddle insert that raises the strings to the proper height (see attached pic for example - that one does have problems but you can see the bone insert). Second the slots for the g strings need to be filled in and reslotted. Third the frest need to be seated properly and possibly levelled so it plays correctly. Prob not a ton of money esp since you were given a well made antique mandolin. Maratea, as probably noted on the label was a student of the Vinaccia shop (as were a good handful of others) from Napoli. You should string this with light or ultra light gauge strings. What strings did you order for it? Do not put regular gauge strings on this mandolin.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bb_bridge.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	84879  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

The buzz and the fact that the 3rd and 4th fret both play the same note suggests that the 4th fret is high. Looking at your photo it is obvious that it will need to be re-seated. Actually looking at your photos it appears several of the frets need some attention as does the bridge. For right now though I would try to tap the 4th fret down. Since you most likely do not have a fretting hammer I would take a small block of wood and lay it on the 4th fret and then tap that lightly with a hammer to try to get the 4th fret to seat properly. Very light taps and check it often.
    I really think it should be taken to a qualified repairman to check the frets. Your mandolin has bar frets and like I said it would appear that they all could use some work.
    Your bridge needs some attention as well. I am not really familiar with this type of bridge but it looks like the strings have cut down into the bridge over the years or else your neck angle has changed and someone's solution was to lower the strings by deepening the slots.
    Only put ULTRA-LIGHT strings on this mandolin. Something such as GHS A240.
    Last edited by Bill Snyder; Apr-11-2012 at 7:57am.
    Bill Snyder

I thought as much! Now to try and find a reliable luthier here in the UK. Presumably there are quite a few on here?

The bone saddle insert, is that something that is completely missing from this? Do you have a picture of a similar one I could see for reference?

I ordered some D'Addario J62 80/20 Bronze Light strings, are these too heavy a gauge?

Sorry for all the questions, I really have no idea what I'm doing!

Jlong, Jim posted a photo showing a bridge with the bone insert. The bone is the white part of the bridge in his photo.
    Bill Snyder

Ah, so he did. Hmm that's definitely missing! Cheers!

Let us know where you are in the UK and I am sure that there are a few members who could point you in the right direction as to recommend luthiers near you.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I'm in Oxford

Here is a link to all luthiers who have anything to do with mandolins in the UK. Some may just build but others may do restorations & setups as well.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Great, thanks Jim!

Here is another list I found on a current thread: UK Luthiers
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

So I've spoken to a local luthier and I don't think I have the spare funds at the moment to justify having this fully restored. Jim, would you mind telling me the dimensions of that bone insert? Perhaps I could put together a makeshift one for now, does anyone have any experience with that? The same with the lumpy fret, what's the best way to go about evening it out without damaging it?

Cheers guys!

From my previous post:
    "For right now though I would try to tap the 4th fret down. Since you most likely do not have a fretting hammer I would take a small block of wood and lay it on the 4th fret and then tap that lightly with a hammer to try to get the 4th fret to seat properly. Very light taps and check it often."
    If you have small hammer with a hard rubber or a brass face you could use that, but the wood block laid over the fret and tapped by a regular hammer works. That is how I fretted the first instrument or two I built.
    Bill Snyder

Ah I must have missed that, thank you mate.

Quote Originally Posted by JLong View Post
    Jim, would you mind telling me the dimensions of that bone insert?
    You could get a guitar saddle like one of these. I will try to get you a better shot of what it would look like but it also depends on your bridge. You also would need to fill and re-slot those g-string slots.

You also could contact Dave Hynds an Englishman who now lives in France and who has devoted much time to restoring old bowlbacks. He has parts or it might even make sense to send the whole mandolin to him. I think he is quite reasonably priced for restorations. He could make you a repro bridge but you would still have to fit it to your mandolin.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Appreciate it, have contacted him!

As an update, I've taken your advice Bill, and lightly tapped the frets down. It now plays in tune! Once I have this new bridge I'm good to go!

giuseppe severini

PLEASE, DON'T use those strings !!!!
    Your mandolin will bend and warp in three days and will need complete restoration!
    If you want to play corrctly and have the right sounf AND save your nice bowlback
    buy good acoustic (Martin) strings as follows:
    E 0.10 plain steel
    A 0.14 plain steel
    D 0.23 Bronze w
    G 0.30 Bronze w

Sound will be delightful and volume all the same !!!
    Put the littje bone bar on the bridge as Jim told you.
    Before you put strings on your instrument pass a cloth wit olive oil on back and neck and fingerboard and head and live it soak in the wood. NOT on the TOP !!!
    After 8 hours polish with a wooden cloth.
    I have restored so many mandolins like your, all destroyed only by too heavy stringing!
    At the time your mandolin was built, strings were lighter than today. Let's respect the difference!
    Enjoy your instrument!
    Giuseppe

Quote Originally Posted by giuseppeseverini View Post
    PLEASE, DON'T use those strings !!!!
    Your mandolin will bend and warp in three days and will need complete restoration!
    If you want to play corrctly and have the right sounf AND save your nice bowlback
    buy good acoustic (Martin) strings as follows:
    E 0.10 plain steel
    A 0.14 plain steel
    D 0.23 Bronze w
    G 0.30 Bronze w

Sound will be delightful and volume all the same !!!
    Put the littje bone bar on the bridge as Jim told you.
    Before you put strings on your instrument pass a cloth wit olive oil on back and neck and fingerboard and head and live it soak in the wood. NOT on the TOP !!!
    After 8 hours polish with a wooden cloth.
    I have restored so many mandolins like your, all destroyed only by too heavy stringing!
    At the time your mandolin was built, strings were lighter than today. Let's respect the difference!
    Enjoy your instrument!
    Giuseppe
    Giuseppe, thank you so much for the pointers, I have the strings I mentioned earlier but I'm waiting on a new bridge so I'm yet to restring the instrument. I'll order some new, lighter gauge strings and put some olive oil on it while I wait for them to arrive! Can you give me some particular ones to look for?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Martin-Mando...4615428&sr=1-1

Those, for example, seem a similar gauge to the ones you mention, but there's no mention of "light". How about these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/DAddario-J73...4615450&sr=1-6

giuseppe severini

Hello!
    Martin 20/80 are the lightest I have ever seen in USA. (In Italy we currently use 0.10, 0.14, 0.23, 0.32)
    Don't use D'Addario: 0.38 for G is really TOO much !
    BUT I suggest you to buy the individual strings I indicated you in my former message. They are common metal guitar strings and you can buy them in any good music shop.
    I bought those strings at Robbie's music in New Jersey for a VEGA bowlback mandolin I restored recently and in west 48th street in Manhattan for the SS. Steward I restored there for a friend.
    I have not strung the second yet but the first has a nice full sound !Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PTDC0007.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	318.0 KB 
ID:	85133
    G.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Giuseppe,

GHS makes an 'ultra light' set for mandolin: .09, .13, .20, .32

I get mine from Just Strings: http://www.juststrings.com/
    or
    Big City Strings: http://www.bigcitystrings.com/

But even Amazon has them now.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

James the aforementioned GHS A240 strings are really the only inexpensive string sets that are the appropriate weight. I'm not sure any pre-made pack of Martin or Daddario is anywhere near right. If you don't want to order a set and wait, Guiseppe's listed gauges are a good guide. Don't use anything thicker.

giuseppe severini

0.32 on G is too much
    on this very old mandolins the best is 0.30

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by giuseppeseverini View Post
    In Italy we currently use 0.10, 0.14, 0.23, 0.32…(??) 0.32 on G is too much
    on this very old mandolins the best is 0.30
    .30 is pretty lightweight. Never had any problems with Calaces or the the .32s. I'd go with the lighter set across the board (D at .20 rather than .23) but I guess you can never be too safe.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

I have used the GHS A240 set on many vintage bowlbacks and they are fine for that. My general favorite tho is the Dogal Calace RW92b (dolce). They are much more expensive than the GHS ultralights.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately: