Thread: Pederson Cellini "A"

Default Pederson Cellini "A"

Picked this up at Rudy's in New York ~1998. I absolutely love the craftsmanship & finally tracked down the luthier that made it. I love the instrument, both for its appearance and sound.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mandolin Cropped.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	221.2 KB 
ID:	85790

Default Re: Pederson Cellini "A"

Mike, I really like those ff holes and whole violin vibe to your mandolin. The little scroll in the headstock is a nice touch. I think we need to see more photos of your mandolin. Is this builder still making mandolins?
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

I'll post a few more shots once I get a moment. The luthier is Carl Pederson & I think he's been more focused on building innovative guitars more recently. His website is http://www.pedersonguitars.com/ & has his contact info.

Ironically, I think he built a series of mandolins, mandolas and mandocellos in this general genre in the late 1990's while out in your direction (Santa Fe). More recently, he's been back in Brooklyn, NY.

Mike

Mike: that is a beauty. What is the sound like? Post some mp3s? For some reason, in my very vague memories I may have crossed paths. He may have showed up at one of our music events when I was living in New York City. I do remember a guy who made a very interesting mandolin... in fact I think I do remember that it was at Rudy's on 48th the acoustic section.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Jim: thanks! Pictures are easy, unfortunately, mp3s not quite yet. I don't have a decent home recording capability (that's on the list). Some more photos:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0454.jpg 
Views:	315 
Size:	360.1 KB 
ID:	85805Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0455.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	348.4 KB 
ID:	85806Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0456.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	180.8 KB 
ID:	85807Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0453.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	359.0 KB 
ID:	85808

Thanks for the photos!

I think it might be the same Pederson who held a weekly class where he helped you build a Martin guitar kit. His shop was in the back of a record store in Albuquerque--this was in the 90s. I hung out there watching other people build and eventually took his class and built one. Great guy. I don't remember any mandolins in his shop back then, but I did see a guitar he built with a big scroll like the old Gibsons.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

I am pretty sure that this is the guy I met in New York. I remember trying out this mandolin -- it might have been the same one and then remember it hanging near the window in Rudy's later on.

The only thing I would note that is unusual is the long violin-like tailpiece -- I wonder how (if at all) that impacts the sound. The distance from the tailpiece to the bridge is pretty short.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Always good to see something a bit different.
    Cheers Gary

www.navaguitars.co.uk

Interesting. Given that this is the first nice mandolin that I've owned played, I'm somewhat hard pressed to be able to comment regarding the sound. I'd imagine that it could have some impact on the ways in which the vibrations couple with the top of the instrument.

Small world. Sounds like there's a good bet it was the some one. I don't recall having seen any other instruments similar while I was in the store.

My memory is quite fuzzy but I do recall having a long conversation with Carl about that instrument. I moved out of the New York City in 1989 and I would have thought it was before that when I ran into him. I suppose it could have been late 1990s but who knows. Maybe we should ask him -- thru his son. I think he might handle his email communications.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

I actually never met him, have only exchanged some emails (that was very recently). I believe that he (Craig, not Carl, my goof) was actually answering my queries. If you'd like to reach him, the email address is: pedersonguitars@gmail.com.

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

oops

This is a nice looking instrument. I, too, would like to hear it.
    What's that in the lower right f-hole?
    Bill

I'll have to get a decent mic & recording setup. Once I've done that, I'll post something.

The thing in the lower right f-hole is a damp-it, which was helpful during the winter while things got dry. I found it as a fix for violins that also suffer similar ills.

Hi all, just registered on this site and trying to figure out how to find things. Thanks for the nice comments. Craig Pederson

What a cool mandolin. I like the violin appointments and the "split" F-holes are nicely done.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Welcome, Craig. So, do you still make mandolins? I see none on your web site.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Thanks, Mike. I hadn't seen one of those before.
    Welcome, Craig, hope to see and hear some more of your instruments. This one is quite nice in both concept and execution.
    Bill