Thread: 1910 3 point

Default 1910 3 point

How 'bout Dawg swooping on that 3 point in the classifieds?

Default Re: 1910 3 point

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cafe post.png 
Views:	362 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	86233

Nice, I hadn't noticed that....
    I should be pickin' rather than postin'

Blog Entries

Pretty cool.

If its a honey of an instrument, ya gotta swoop. I called the fellow selling the (now mine) L&H as soon as I saw the ad, and he told me he just finished posting it when the phone rang.

I don't even cruise the classifieds without checking my MA budget first, so I don't fall in love with something that will be sold by the time I put the funding together.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	56491.jpg 
Views:	307 
Size:	212.6 KB 
ID:	86244

I have been dreaming about this beautiful mando all night, thought I would save the pic in the ad for prosperity...
    I should be pickin' rather than postin'

Dang,

You're a far richer person having saved the pix for prosperity. Memories be damned, future riches are where it's at

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Wow! What a beauty! Look at that one-piece back. Not to mention ... OK, better not. After-the-fact drooling is a waste of saliva. Not in the market, mind you, so no clue, but isn't $4800 for an uncirculated 3-point F4 kind of low? (That is half a year's rent for me, for perspective.)

Something odd about that tailpiece, methinks, FWIW (not much).
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Yes, it was definitely a great price.... but one still has to have that kind of cash on hand...

Blog Entries

"During the depression I could'a bought that house for a hundred dollars."

"Why didn't you buy it?"

"I didn't have a hundred dollars."

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

"I wish I had enough money to buy an elephant."

"What would you do with an elephant?"

"Oh, I don't want one. I just wish I had that much money."

Anyway ... it's not perfect, but my oh my it is sure close enough. Can't see what's with the tailpiece cover - could be so shiny it's showing reflections of the pebbles. I just don't see a"The Gibson" stencil. And wouldn't this have a pineapple tailpiece anyway? Maybe this is what kept it from going for an even five grand.

Further reflections - according to this reference http://home.provide.net/~cfh/gibson8.html#f4 - which is not 100% accurate - this might be a year or two older. The F-4 went to a 2-point design in 1910.

Model: F-4 Mandolin
    Available: 1902 to 1943

1902 F-4 specs:
    3 point asymmetrical body, oval soundhole, pearl dot in scroll, pickguard inlaid into top, ornate pearl inlay in pickguard, bound soundhole with 2 rope pattern wood inlaid rings, white and green rope pattern top border with pearl binding, bound ebony fingerboard with treble-side extension, dot inlays, scroll peghead, pearl peghead binding, friction pegs, inlaid tuner buttons, black top finish, reddish back and sides.
    1908 F-4 specs:
    Ivoroid and wood soundhole rings, elavated pickguard with point and 2 clamps, single bound top and back, pearl nut, ivoroid bound peghead, ornate long flowerpot peghead inlay of abalone and wire, no peghead logo, right angle tuners, notched-end tuner plates angle away from each other at top, black or golden orange top finish.
    1910 F-4 specs:
    2 point body shape.
    1911 F-4 specs:
    Double flowerpot peghead inlay, "The Gibson" logo.
    Last edited by journeybear; May-11-2012 at 4:22pm. Reason: further reflections ...

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Wha...that is what I've been looking for...wow...that was fast. I have the Mandy funds but not in the right place at the right time.

It's just gorgeous!!! Thanks so much for posting the pics!

Annette

www.livingtreemusic.com

It does seem like it should be sporting the pineapple or crown type tailpiece. But heck, It's a beautiful thing. Handels, torch and wire, three points all in the right places. Owning a vintage three pointer is definitly on my bucket list.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

Blog Entries

If my MAS budget was fully funded, and if I had seen it, I would have swooped. I'd a bin all over that like white on rice.

If, if, if.

I am perversly comforted that Grisman got it, that it is in the hands of someone who deeply appreciates it, rather than ambivalent collector.

I had a friend who ran a used and antiquarian book shop. He had a set of leather bound Voltairs. Complete writings of Voltair, in several volumes, bound in bright red leather. No way I could have aforded them. Just beautiful. He sold them to, of all things, a movie set designer, who needed red books. Broke my heart.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    I am perversely comforted that Grisman got it, that it is in the hands of someone who deeply appreciates it, rather than an ambivalent collector.
    I am too. I have mixed feelings, though - granted, having the serial number adjacent to the one he already has must have been irresistible, but gee whiz - couldn't he have let someone else experience the joy of owning such a wonderful instrument? Oh, well, I'm hardly serious, and an actually happy for the both of them. All three of them. Guess I'll just have to buckle down and make good on my plan to have a successful career and restore the mandolin's popularity to its former preeminece and then meet Dawg and strike up a friendship and hope someday to be gifted with this, or the other. It's some kind of a plan ...

My MAS budget is pretty well dormant. I've got just about everything I need - though of course MAS is more about what you want. I could have piled up all the money I have and just about got this - but then I would have been flat broke. Well, at least the rent's paid!

Oh, and Dave - This instrument has got so much going for it the TC is a minor quibble. Funny - though that Rounder Album cover has been right in front of me for so long, I don't know how but I have managed to miss that the F4 in the picture didn't have a Gibson logo but rather all this fabulous inlay instead, until this one came up. Must have been looking at something else.

Blog Entries

double post
    Last edited by JeffD; May-11-2012 at 10:37pm.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

There will be others. Just keep stoking your MAS budget. Every time I see a mandolin that calls to me, I toss a few dollars in the MAS coffeecan, and bide my time. It will happen.

I've a friend who is saving for a fiddle. Whenever she has a dollar with an F in the federal reserve seal, she sets it aside. She has a respectiable fiddle budget at this point.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

Nice. I do the same with old bills - the ones before the current ones with big faces - though I see this more as my escape fund, just in case everything goes kerphlooey. Lord knows if there isn't some sort of game involved I won't be able to save up anything.

Quote Originally Posted by F-2 Dave View Post
    It does seem like it should be sporting the pineapple or crown type tailpiece. But heck, It's a beautiful thing. Handels, torch and wire, three points all in the right places. Owning a vintage three pointer is definitly on my bucket list.
    It's a little past the serial range for that (and the Orville Label). Those stop just after 10000, and there are a few more three pointers trickling out up to 12000 or so before the 2 points took over
    The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs
    "The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead"

Wondered if you'd show up here Dan
    Did you miss accumulating this one?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Lind View Post
    Wondered if you'd show up here Dan
    Did you miss accumulating this one?
    by about 20 minutes !

I do already have one pretty much just like it though, so the pain was fleeting
    The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs
    "The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead"

Stephen, you're in luck. Another one just showed up...

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Sheehy View Post
    You mean this one? I think it is an F2, not an F4. Lots of issues but the seller prices it accordingly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	56640.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	136.2 KB 
ID:	86349  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    You mean this one? I think it is an F2, not an F4. Lots of issues but the seller prices it accordingly.
    I am pretty certain that I made that pickguard. It was an extrapolated educated guess on the pattern taken from all the photos I could come up with. Done maybe 8 years ago
    Darryl G. Wolfe, The F5 Journal
    www.f5journal.com

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Sheehy View Post
    Thanks for the 411 Eddie
    but I'd sooner pay the $4800 I don't have for the clean blond '10 than the $2100 I don't have for the boogered '07 ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Not in the market, mind you, so no clue, but isn't $4800 for an uncirculated 3-point F4 kind of low? .
    The one and only other time I recall one of these 3-point torch n' wire F-4's for sale was up on Ebay a few years ago. It went for somewhere in the $7,500 range. Probably still a good deal considering how rare these are.