Thread: Eva Holbrook's second mandolin sale from SHEL album fund raiser

Default Eva Holbrook's second mandolin sale from SHEL album fund raiser

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/shel

My first thought is that for only $1200 you can have Eva's second mandolin. Anyone know what mandolin this would be? Neat.

My second thought is that professional recording comes dear when one needs to part with their second mandolin to finance the project.

They have lots of other creative offerings are out there to raise the funds. I'm sure they will make it and I'm looking forward to hearing the results.

Default Re: Eva Holbrook's second mandolin sale from SHEL album fund rais

A friend of mine did something similar on Kickstarter.com and got more than she asked for funding her solo CD and it was in record time. Most people were old time musician friends of hers (like me) and she offered a CD for $15 which I would have bought anyway. I would be surprised if SHEL cannot fund their CD easily -- they are much more known than my friend.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by abuteague View Post
    http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/shel

My first thought is that for only $1200 you can have Eva's second mandolin. Anyone know what mandolin this would be?
    ...snip...
    Maybe she bought her friend Wendy's 'bright little Fender' to use as a second mandolin? Besides her Weber, it's the only other acoustic mandolin I've seen her play in a video.

c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

I asked on Facebook and Eva said "it's a Michael Kelly, MKAOATB, A Style, with an oval sound hole with a Fishmen bridge pick up and endpin jack. It looks like this- http://www.worldmusicnashville.com/i...=1127&vmcchk=1 . It's a decent 'low quality' mando, though I find that the neck is a little tiresome. I nick named her 'Maggie May' because she has a real bright raw sound, not unlike what I'm used to hearing in mando tinged rock music like Goo Goo Dolls and Zeppelin."

I wish my kids were into mandolin. The love Shel though. I'll definitely be contributing to Shel's pledgemusic campaign and get them something.

Blog Entries

Abuteague; that's very cool that she got back to you.
    Neat stuff! I wish them nothing but success.
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Pledging is very widespread. I found it off-putting for the one and only band I used to follow very very closely. I don't even own their new CD because I had to take "the pledge" to buy it and I haven't been to their concerts because they were selling the righs to meet with the band, be back stage, or be their Emcee. For someone who had been an enthusiastic supporter for years and who the band recognized when I was in the crowd even unexpectedly somewhere across the country, the pledge felt manipulative and less than genuine. .... Well, that and they have no mando player any more.

Makes sense if you're not established. It can be done well or not, though.
    I saw Homer & Jethro once. This mandolin therapy isn't helping me get over it.

'04 Andersen A (for keeps)
    Amateur Gibson F copy (for travel)
    Santa Rosa student model A (for the neighbor kids)

I'm completely OK with this kind of entrepreneurship from musicians. I suppose it could be done poorly, but unless a label takes up those costs the studio time can be cost prohibitive. Not everyone needs to pledge. You can wait until the CD comes out. The campaign lets you in on what their plan is and what the timeline is like and what it costs. The pledge is about the money. It is the band's fault if they fail to recognize long time fans, pledging or not.

I always think of the musicians with these kinds of pledges. What a burden it is to have to take pledging strangers to lunch on the day of your concert or recording. It is a real sacrifice. What if the strangers are a total bore or are obnoxious? Example: http://popwatch.ew.com/2011/01/31/ja...love-rush-man/

You only do this kind of thing if you really need the money IMHO.

My friend's son financed his first movie, a short film, using a similar Website for budding directors, and the local (New York City) PBS station aired it last week. It's a nice way to promote young talent, which Eva and her sisters clearly represent as well -- getting back to the Mandolin topic.

T
    Quote Originally Posted by mandolino maximus View Post
    Pledging is very widespread. I found it off-putting for the one and only band I used to follow very very closely. I don't even own their new CD because I had to take "the pledge" to buy it and I haven't been to their concerts because they were selling the righs to meet with the band, be back stage, or be their Emcee. For someone who had been an enthusiastic supporter for years and who the band recognized when I was in the crowd even unexpectedly somewhere across the country, the pledge felt manipulative and less than genuine. .... Well, that and they have no mando player any more.

Makes sense if you're not established. It can be done well or not, though.
    Gotta totally agree with you on this one...and I'm pretty sure I know what band you're referring to, which is pretty unfortunate considering that that particular band has recently "set up shop" only an hour or so away from my home near Lynchburg, VA. They had fairly recently become one of my very favorites, and I actually was able to take some pointers from said departed mandolinist at last year's Delfest Academy (along with cohost Ronnie McCoury), but, while I may still check them out at festivals, until they recruit somebody to play mandolin with them I seriously doubt I'll be going to any of their shows.

It's really a head scratcher for me, because to my way of thinking (and I may be a bit biased here, but...), the mandolin was so central to their sound. Go figger...
    Jeff Oxley
    1994 Stiver F5 #230
    Washburn M-3SW/TS F5
    Epiphone Mandobird
    1972 Martin D-18
    Ibanez electric/acoustic
    Fender 12-string

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Oxley View Post
    I actually was able to take some pointers from said departed mandolinist at last year's Delfest Academy (along with cohost Ronnie McCoury)
    I took some lessons as well from the same player if my telepathy is working right. Apitius F5, yes?

Sounds like a great campaign. I saw them a few months ago on Music City Roots when they were in Nashville doing some recording.
    http://www.livestream.com/musiccityr...e-6a521f476599 . They are on at 1:22:00 .

Blog Entries

I just ran across this campaign today. Appears this video hasn't been previously mentioned:

They have quite a variety of pledge awards on their page. The dozen chocolate chip cookies and + album download for $45 is attractive but you have to be in the Ft. Collins area which I am not. Still, creative girls and you have to admire their sense of humor and drive.

Their PledgeMusic.com site.

I did pledge $10 which will get me the digital download of the album when it is finished. This is the first time I have ever been a part of a kickstarter type fundraising campaign. I think I've already gotten my $10 worth of entertainment, and the album isn't even finished. They've released a few track to the pledgers, along with a few videos and several email updates. We are getting a bird's eye view to the making of the album. This is a fun way to support a project and see some great music being made.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Tichenor View Post
    The dozen chocolate chip cookies and + album download for $45 is attractive but you have to be in the Ft. Collins area which I am not.

Their PledgeMusic.com site.
    But did you see get the download and 12 cookies shipped in US for a $40 Pledge?