Thread: First Mandolin and Must have mandolin Cds

Default First Mandolin and Must have mandolin Cds

Hi Folks,

Basically I'm looking for your input on whats a good price range to spend for a starter instrument/ one to begin with and make sure I'm going to stick with it.

I'm debating on a Kentucky KM-505 (pretty good deal online) but know I will eventually want an F style. On the other side of the spectrum, I've looked locally and saw an Eastman 615 but its quite a bit more.

Also, I'd appreciate hearing about any Cds that you feel are a must have for a beginning player.

Thanks

Default Re: First Mandolin and Must have mandolin Cds

Thoughts on CDs off the top of my head:

Bluegrass Mandolin Extravaganza - a wide cast of characters
    Travellers - Butch Baldassari, John Reischman, Robin Bullock (I loved this when I started playing, still do!)
    Manzanita - Tony Rice...lots of good mando content
    David Grisman's - Quintet (Kaleidescope) and Rounder Album

Hmmmm? So many too choose, so little time. I'll think of more and add on to this. Others will have their thoughts, too.

Robert

What Galileo said plus anything by Herschel Sizemore, Instrumental albums by Bill Monroe, anything by Sam Bush, anything by Mike Compton, anything by the Nashville Bluegrass Band and anything by Dolye Lawson and Quicksilver. My recommendations are all ing the bluegrass relm.

Thanks for the info. It's funny you said that about Mike Compton. I recently purchased his rotten taters CD and the mandolin has been on my mind ever since.

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

Anything with John Reischman on it!
    2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

A Kentucky KM-505 wouild be a really good instrument to begin with & it may last a lot longer than you think before you need to upgrade.When you do upgrade,try to find a used KM-900,one of the most respected & talked about Mandolins on here for a long time.You don't NEED an 'F' style to sound good & a KM-900 would prove that.
    Re.CD's - if your'e a beginner - buy everything that takes your fancy in whatever music style you're aiming for,it's all good,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Registered User Justus True Waldron's Avatar

My favorite mando-centric albums:
    Tony Rice's Acoustics - Lots of great mando content from Sam Bush, this is the album that made me want to play mando
    David Grisman & Andy Statman's Songs of Our Fathers - another early eye opener for me... plus I play clarinet so that's a bonus
    Herschel Sizemore's Bounce Away - Probably most of his stuff in fact, but I'm most familiar with that one.
    Chris Thile's Not All Who Wander Are Lost - Most anything by Thile is worth listening to technically, but to me this album seems
    the most devoid of ego and the most all around musical. That's probably why I keep coming back to it like an old friend...
    Chris Thile's Sleep With One Eye Open - Took a little bit for this one to grow on me, but I'm going to reservedly move this one up to classic status at this point, if only because there is little else out there quite like it. I like to imagine this is the album Monroe would have made if he was Benjamin Button and got younger over time instead of older...
    Anything by the Stringdusters before Jesse Cobb left - Jesse Cobb has a way of mixing clean and fast, traditional licks and Sam Bush driving power together in a stew that is approachable and yet never boring. I think that's why I've picked him as the mando player I've most tried to learn from for the past year or so.

There are plenty of other individual songs out there worth having, but those are the albums I can remember having a big impact as a whole. Good luck on your search and learning! Mandolin is a great instrument, and there is music out there in just about any kind of style you like.

As for an instrument, I'd give the Kentucky the nod as well. My first two instruments were Kentucky A's, even lower models than that one, and both served me very well. I always thought I'd get an F model as well, but when I finally had that chance, I went with a hand made A... it just seemed so much more ME. At first I thought I'd be snubbed for the lack of a scroll, but I've never once noticed that, and If I ever did I don't think I'd want to play with that person anyways. The number one thing I hear is WOW that is a beautiful instrument, and it sounds amazing! Besides, if Joe Walsh chooses to play his Gil A, than it's good enough for me! In then end though, get whatever makes you happy... and welcome on board!
    - 2004 Macica A
    - 1952 Selmer Centered Tone
    - Eastwood electric mandola
    (and lots more)

Registered User Justus True Waldron's Avatar

Oh and as opposed to best mando albums, there should be a list of best mando Youtube Vids

I think I've gotten more out of this one video than any others out there:

The Collings demonstration videos with Jesse Cobb and Kym Warner are really good too...
    - 2004 Macica A
    - 1952 Selmer Centered Tone
    - Eastwood electric mandola
    (and lots more)

Blog Entries

How much to budget for a mandolin? Its kind of up to you. Be aware that in general a mandolin will cost roughtly twice as much as a guitar of similar quality. Just a rule of thumb to get your expectations calibrated.

What CDs to get? Its kind of like asking what kind of guitar music should I listen to. The mandolin does it all. The bluegrassy stuff so popular 'round here is a small piece of the mandolin universe. What kind of music are you most interested in pursuing?

Also, don't just listen to mandolin CDs, get inspired to try other stuff on the mandolin. We are still early in the evolution of the mandolin in all but the classical genres. The mandolin is not inappropriate anywhere. There is plenty of opportunity to add to and effect the role of the mandolin in music.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Great post...thanks...I need some good mandolin cd's to listen to also.

That video is kind of surprising...Goth meets bluegrass...great rhythm on that guitar!

Thanks for all the replies. That video took me by surprise too. I guess just another lesson in not judging a book by its cover.

I think I've pretty much committed to the Kentucky A with the knowledge that I'll be taking it in for a setup. I knew it was a pretty good deal but I've always been drawn to the F styles.

Look for anything by the Bad Shepherds. Not necessarily an example of great mandolin playing, but interesting with respect to taking traditional Irish instrumentation into new territory.

2011 Weber Special Edition Oval Hole
    2010 Kentucky KM-254
    circa 1930 Stradolin rescue