Thread: Ratliff RA5

Default Ratliff RA5

Can anyone tell me about these?

Registered User Douglas McMullin's Avatar

Default Re: Ratliff RA5

I owned one for a while, and I thought it was quite a nice mandolin for the price range they fall in. At the time I had a couple of other mandolins, and I got the Ratliff used as a nice travel instrument. I wasn't using it enough to I sold it, but I wish I could afford to get another. For comparison, I think used Ratliff RA5's & Gibson A9's offer an equal and very good bang for your buck in the used A market.

I have had several in stock and am expecting the next very soon. I would say Audey's work is under-priced for what you get. The tone is rich and powerful and with good a good chop.

I have also just taken delivery of an A and f in his new Country Boy range - you can see them on my website - these are as good a 'bang for buck' as you can find.
    Trevor
    Formerly of The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) Brighton England now retired.

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

I have one of his F-4's from back in the '80's. Very nice workmanship, good sound, and great value.
    Bill

I own a Ratliff R-5 and it is a wonderful mandolin and Audey is great to deal with if you have any problems....Mine seems to get better each time I play it...

If you purchase one try and get a return agreement with the seller in case it isn`t what you like, it`s worth the chance..

Good luck with it....Willie

I played a Ratliff F-style yesterday at Guitar Center in Oklahoma City. I think it had lighter gauge strings than I usually play, but it sounded really nice. It just needed to be played. It started to open up some while I played it for a short time. It was a 2001 model and showed a little wear, but overall it was beautiful.