Thread: Newly-found 1924 A4--What advice to give the owner?

Default Newly-found 1924 A4--What advice to give the owner?

A colleague of mine called me and wants to take care of a Gibson that's been in the family since his father purchased it new. It's been hanging on a relative's wall for decades, and he now has the chance to ensure it is better cared for and remains in the family. He sent me the serial number, and it's a 1924 A4 snakehead.

I can think of lots of possible things to do--get it to Elderly or Mandolin Bros. for an evaluation, get it on the Gibson archive, see a good luthier, insure it, humidify it in winter months, let me play it, etc. but I don't know if I'm missing something or if certain options are more crucial than others. What do you think I should tell him to do? Is there a priority on what should be done? Besides telling him it isn't worth much and offer to take it off his hands, what would your advice be?

Default Re: Newly-found 1924 A4--What advice to give the owner?

Those are all good suggestions. First and foremost though I think a trip to a good luthier who knows vintage Gibsons would be in order. Make sure there's no seam seperation and that the bracing is still intact, before it's tuned up to pitch.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

The most important thing right now is to have the mandolin looked over by a luthier to determine how good a shape it's in. Are you in Los Angeles? If you are, I would contact Craig Wilson at Wilson Mandolin to see if he can give it a thorough inspection. Or, drive it up to Gryphon Strings in Palo Alto and let Frank Ford check it out.

Thanks very much for these suggestions. The mandolin is currently on the east coast of the U.S. and the person taking at least temporary possession of it is in the Central U.S. I know of a great luthier in his area who has worked on my 1917 A3 and several friends' vintage Gibsons, so I'll have him start there. This is most helpful--thanks!