Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: John Paul Jones

Blog Entries

Default John Paul Jones

Some beautiful stuff here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLU08nOtUkc
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Default Re: John Paul Jones

I new he was a good picker, but that was nice. I doubt if Page could play it that good.
    A couple of mandolins
    A couple guitars
    An Upright Bass
    Some banjos
    Wax Paper over a comb
    A Loar era Didjeridoo

"I Never Wanted To Be A Barber. I Always Wanted To Be A Lumberjack !"

Blog Entries

Just beautiful.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

What a beautiful arrangement. Anyone recognize the mando he's on?

Blog Entries

JPJ is crazy talented. Love that Zep logo on the TRC.
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

Hope he plays mand on the Zep reunion tour.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Greenspoon View Post
    What a beautiful arrangement. Anyone recognize the mando he's on?
    I am unable to see the clip at the moment, but JPJ almost exclusively plays instruments made by Andy (acoustics) and Hugh (electrics) Manson. I would assume the mando was made by Andy Manson.

Great clip. Very tasteful and beautiful. Anyone care to comment on one of the youtuber's comments?

"Also for those of you who have no experience in the matter playing mandolin is exponentially easier than standard guitar,"
    Last edited by cbarry; Oct-03-2008 at 8:29pm. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by cbarry View Post
    Great clip. Very tasteful and beautiful. Anyone care to comment on one of the youtuber's comments?

"Also for those of you who have no experience in the matter playing mandolin is exponentially easier than standard guitar,"
    No doubt posted by one of the pimple-faced head bangers who hangs around his local Guitar Center when he is cutting class, doing endless, mindless riffs through amps turned up to "11." His comment fits right in with some of the other sophomoric replies to that video.

Enjoyed that ... very nice
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

In the early years after John Bonham's death, I often wondered what became of JPJ. It appears he was probably the busiest of the Zepplin groups members. He's produced and performed with many artists, and while this might raise eye brows, I think he was and is the most talented member of the group. Of course he didn't use a violin bow on his instruments or bare his chest while on stage.
    A couple of mandolins
    A couple guitars
    An Upright Bass
    Some banjos
    Wax Paper over a comb
    A Loar era Didjeridoo

"I Never Wanted To Be A Barber. I Always Wanted To Be A Lumberjack !"

I was at Wintergrass a few years back manning the Eastman booth, we were in a room with one other dealer which turned out to be a great setting for some informal jams but got a little lonely when things were happening elsewhere which was a lot of the time. I had been sitting around during a particularly long quiet spell picking on the prototype mandocello that we had with us when this gentleman comes in and picks up a mandolin and starts picking a Fairport Convention tune that I knew. I tried throwing on some accompaniment and we both had a fun hour or so trying to figure out how I should be picking along with him on the mandocello. Turns out that being Brits we had a number of tunes in common but soon my fingers gave out and we struck up a conversation. I asked what he was doing at the festival and he said he was there to see Uncle Earl because he was due to produce their next album and the festival gave him an opportunity to see them several times in one weekend in the same place. We talked for a little longer about England and how much we loved the States and he wandered off to the next room. A week or so later after the show I got a call from my good friend Bonnie at Bourgeois Guitars wondering how the show went for us. After we got through talking shop she asked me if I had seen any good new bands. I told her about Uncle Earl and she said she knew all about them. She then asked me if I had heard who was producing their new album and I told her I had met him at the show and that he was a really nice polite Englishman and that we had picked a few tunes together. I almost fell off my chair when she told me that I had been totally oblivious to the fact that I had been playing along with one of my early music heroes John Paul Jones.

Someone on YouTube commented that JPJ didn't like to seek the limelight. I think that's true. Not only didn't he bare his chest and stuff bananas in his pants when I saw the Zep in '75, but he was hiding behind his amplifier most of the evening and played some of his solos with one finger on a keyboard. I assume he was having a bad night, but Ron Wood came out and joined them for Communications Breakdown, so we were all happy about seeing the Gods. I liked that recent clip on YouTube, and agree JPJ has really showed a new dimension to his play -- and perhaps he's on the same trajectory as Robert Plant these days.

Registered User Chris "Bucket" Thomas's Avatar

Man, I have watched that about 10 times over the past week....still AMAZING.
    Chris

2007 Gibson F5-L Fern
    1919 Gibson A-0
    2019 Black A4
    BlueRidge BR140
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ChristopherSThomas
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1188214780

Blog Entries

JPJ was at Swannanoa OldTimey week. He drawa absolutely no attention to himself. We jammed with him for a long time before we had a clue who we were jamming with.

The entire staff
    funny....

It's cool that he could be such a big rock star and not be recognized. David Gilmour always says in interviews that they deliberately designed Pink Floyd so its individual members could go to the supermarket without being bothered.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
    so its individual members could go to the supermarket without being bothered.

I have gone one step further. Not only can I go to the supermarket without problem, but not even fellow musicians recognize me as a world class super star.

In fact, the only one who knows is one of my nephews, and he's gonna grow up soon.

The entire staff
    funny....

I know what you mean. I couldn't get myself arrested these days if'n I wanted to. My wife and one of my two kids hates my playing (it's not that bad, but they hate my practicing).

Quote Originally Posted by jefflester View Post
    ...JPJ almost exclusively plays instruments made by Andy (acoustics) and Hugh (electrics) Manson. I would assume the mando was made by Andy Manson.
    On Andy Manson's website, there are some photos of a mandocello he made for JPJ, presumably built to match the mandolin in the video. The colour, inlays and the shape of the end of the fretboard are the same.

Patrick

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

That's awesome. I've been working on this song lately. Wish I could play it like that.
    Living’ in the Mitten

Yup, JPJ produced the last Uncle Earl album, "Waterloo, Tennesee", and a really funny kung fu clogging video from one of the songs. It's a great album. He does a cameo at the piano. Casey Dreason does a cameo as well. Search youtube for "Streak O' Lean Streak O' Fat" to see the video. Abigail Washburn sings in Mandarin against an old time tune. The Earl Girls are musical goddesses!

JPJ has shown up in the bluegrass scene a bit. There is also youtube of him playing on stage with the Duhks.

That was a great story meeting JPJ at the booth. Absolutely priceless.

JPJ also produced Sara Watkins' (Nickel Creek) solo album that is due out in the spring.

Great. I'll have to watch for Sara's album.

I just watched the video that started this thread.....again. wow

Blog Entries

It wouldn't surpize me to discover that he is a lurker here on the forum.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by cbarry View Post

Some years ago, either here on the Cafe or on CoMando, someone told the story of Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull saying on stage that mandolin is easy - only to be challenged, by someone in the audience, to play "Rawhide".