Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Local Woodworking supply and brand issue.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Local Woodworking supply and brand issue.

I just had a bad experience with a Craftsman combination sander, though a good experience with Sears. I convinced myself I needed a 6" belt combo sander. Took it home. Mounted it to a stand. Turned it on and: grrrrrrRRRRRRpppppPPP! The bearing in the end of the belt blew up. I was pissed, to say the least. So I took it back to Sears, expecting a fight. Nope. They took it back, no questions asked, refunded my money. If I win the lottery, the FIRST thing I buy is a Jet. Short of that, I'm stuck with Lowes and Home Depot brands.

Jet must be a greatly improved brand. It was an inexpensive import years ago when I as buying shop equipment at the very bottom of the food chain.

Jet has improved greatly over the years. The first Jet tool I bought was a jointer in about 1982. I had never owned a jointer and thought I was just inexperienced, turns out it really was a boat anchor. It was totally useless, I gave it away and that guy gave it away to someone else. I have a recent Jet table saw that I use for cutting fret slots & it is a very good tool, much better than the Delta I replaced with it.

I agree with Joe, at least from my experience. Jet quality has improved vastly in the last years. I have a Jet shaper and a Jet floor model spindle sander and a Jet dust collector hooked up to an edge sander. Using them all for both instrument work and furniture stuff. Not one complaint from me.

My jet 18" bandsaw has been worked hard and holding up fine. Its around 8 years old. The only complaint I have is it was a little bit of a pain adjusting the lower roller guide base. I finally drilled a small hole in the table to run a long allen wrench through. Problem solved.

LOL I thought he meant he was buying a jet (airplane). I could think of a lot of things I'd buy when I won the lottery before I bought a Taiwanese sander.