Thread: attaching a top?

Default attaching a top?

Building a mandolin with a kit I got from Siminoff, got the ribs, blocks and kerfing done and am ready to put the top on. In the Siminoff book he has "spring loaded book ends used to push the top down on to the ribs but I called him and asked about them but he said they're really hard to find now. Anybody have another method? Thought about getting some turnbuckles and cutting off the eyes with a dremel tool, putting rubber tips on the ends and using them to push against the top of a jig similar to what is shown in the Siminoff book to attach the top.

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

Default Re: attaching a top?

I use a version of these which I made myself.
    Bill

Same as Bill! I made up a load of spool clamps from some 1 inch dowel - a brush handle - and threaded rod and wingnuts, with cork cut from flooring tiles to line the clamps. The spool clamps allow very controlled pressure around the rim. I tend to use ordinary clamps at the tail block and the neck block, suitably padded with cork

You can buy spool clamps through ebay ex china for cellos and violins, they work out about 36 clamps for $20, spool clamps IMo are your best option.

The other option if you have a type of go bar system made for having fitted your braces, is place the body in the go bar deck (supported) and then use go bars to hold the top edges down. This works extremely well, but can also leave imprints on your top if your not careful.

I haven't attached the back yet, doing the front 1st. I thought about using spool clamps (bought some all thread, lock nuts, wingnuts, washers and rubber stoppers) to attach to the underside of the rib/side and clamp the top down that way but didn't want to pull the ribs/sides up to the soundboard.

i have made my own spool clamps using 1in. square pieces of 1/2 in. plywood with cork lineing....i used 1/4 in. bolts (to length) with drinking straws cut and sliped over for protection , and wing nuts to clamp all together.....i have less that $.50 in each one and they work great........
    kterry

I mostly use spring clamps, along with some spool clamps, cam clamps, and whatever else I have on hand. The spring clamps are super fast and work great. I started using them because I was gluing the top on with the ribset in an outside mold, and the camps could reach around the mold. Now I don't have the ribs in a mold when I glue the top, but spring clamps are still my tool of choice for this.

I also built one of Roger's F5 kits. For the top, I drilled holes in the mold for bolts and used flat pieces of wood with a wing nut to apply pressure. For the bottom, I used the same bolts and wing nuts with an additional piece of wood. Hasn't come apart yet. Maybe that's because it hasn't been played much yet (not 100% complete).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MandoBuild 053.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	92397Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MandoBuild 114.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	92398
    Ralph
    1984 Flatiron A5Jr; Collings MT; Built an F-style kit
    HogTimeMusic.com // Songs on Bandcamp.com
    "What's Time to a Hog?"