Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jade mandolins?

Default Jade mandolins?

I know there was a thread here about a month ago, I was wondering if any new owners had any updates on how they're Jade's are sounding, or has anyone tried one recently? Anyone? Comments?
    Thanks
    Jeff
    Jeffrey S Wagner

Default Re: Jade mandolins?

I think new mandolins have to appear before there can be any/many new owners.

I saw the same Jade A-5 "prototype" discussed some months ago on ebay, awhile back. I don't remember if it sold. I was interested (visually, as that's all there was to go by) in the A-style and have been looking forward to seeing a few more Steve Perry, from Gianna violins, has a couple F-5s on his website and ebay store. I haven't seen any more other than those several. I wonder how many total sales3? I imagine he would be one to ask. The Jade buzz - or is it pre-buzz? reminds me quite a bit of Eastman buzz, which had been going on seemingly for months before more than a handful of instruments actually appeared.
    Jeff Rohrbough
    "Listen louder, play softer"

They're made by just a few people, so there won't be very many.

The two I have left were very well received at a recent festival. I like them.
    Stephen Perry

Quote Originally Posted by jswag View Post
    I know there was a thread here about a month ago, I was wondering if any new owners had any updates on how they're Jade's are sounding, or has anyone tried one recently? Anyone? Comments?
    Thanks
    Jeff
    I just purchased an Jade A-5 from Bob last week. It is prototype #25 - a distressed model. I purchased it from his shop in China, and it was shipped directly here. It is an interesting instrument.
    The top arch is unconventional in that it isn't a symetrical, but scoops down sharply under the fingerboard. The fingerboard has a slight radius, and the width of the figerboard is slightly wider than my Weber Absaroka. The antique / distressed look is a look that I like. I believe there are pictures of his a-5 on another thread here on the cafe.

The sound is rather incredible for such a new instrument -- it is loud [much louder than the Absaroka] and projects well. But it has a deep woody sound already, and although I've barely had it for over a week, it is breaking in well. {If this is how it sounds now, what will it be like in a few months?} Bob advised me to change the strings when I got it, and put on some Bush monel's, but with the sound I'm getting, I'll wait until I need to.

For the price I paid, it is a terrific buy. (I've played on Kentucky's that cost more, that have no quality of sound -- just strings on wood).

Bob gives a 7 day trial time and a 10 year warranty with the instrument. The warranty is honored by his shop in Texas.

Sheryl
    Sheryl --- Me

There was a Jade A-style, distressed model on eBay for a long time. I came really, really close to buying that mandolin many times, but never could get myself to pull the trigger. My choice came down to a Jade or an Eastman. I found a used Eastman for $400 and went for it. Many times I wonder about the Jade and wonder what could have been. I really would prefer to at least see one (a Jade) in person before spending that kind of money on an instrument. Hopefully by the time I want another mandolin the Jades will be a little more accessable. I wish Bob and his company all the luck in the world and would like to see Jades really break out in the market. I love seeing anyone build something like that from the ground up.

I will take the 2 Jades I have to IBMA. Drop me an email and I'll send you my cell number. No pressure to buy - just figure people would like to try.
    Stephen Perry

The one on-line was sold to a cafe member. A woman here in Austin recently reported getting one and showed it to Ben at Fiddlers Green who was impressed.

Hey, Ben. Personal report desired. I may have to stop by the shop today.

John
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

I would have posted to this thread earlier, but the password I have used for
    years wouldn't work, so I had to re-enlist (I was ronsongz). I have the #4
    Jade prototype (bought from Steve Perry) and it is just a superb instument!
    It is getting better and better with playing time, and most other players
    who have tried it can not believe it cost less than 3K!

The quality of construction is very fine, and I highly recommend the brand
    for anyone who wants a superb, hand built mandolin.

Ron (formerly ronsongz)

Ron, we all had to re-register and it seems that most of us kept our old names.
    I think you can get your old name back if you keep trying.
    Of course you can't ask me how, because I haven't got a clue, but somehow I managed it.

Registered User PeaceandLoveCowgirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. E View Post
    The one on-line was sold to a cafe member. A woman here in Austin recently reported getting one and showed it to Ben at Fiddlers Green who was impressed.

Hey, Ben. Personal report desired. I may have to stop by the shop today.

John
    Hey, that has to be me you're talking about... I have the JA-12, #5 prototype. Was in Austin for couple of weeks (mother in hospital); I suppose I'll be back one of these days to really explore the town. I live in the South of France. (My family is in the South Austin, like the Captain.)

It's good & loud, with a very pleasant tone. Getting fine reviews from my bandmates! I'm looking forward to recording with it soon. True, the fretboard is a bit wider than my other mandolins - took a little getting used to, but not a major issue. It's a "real" mandolin, I am fond of saying.

I'd like to hear what Ben tells you! He seemed to like it.

Registered User PeaceandLoveCowgirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by atetone View Post
    Ron, we all had to re-register and it seems that most of us kept our old names.
    I think you can get your old name back if you keep trying.
    Of course you can't ask me how, because I haven't got a clue, but somehow I managed it.
    Ah, I was wondering why I couldn't log in! So it wasn't just me...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hisongz View Post
    I would have posted to this thread earlier, but the password I have used for
    years wouldn't work, so I had to re-enlist (I was ronsongz)...
    Follow the directions in this thread to reset your old password and be ronsongz again, then you could, if you desired, have Scott chage your user ID to your real name by using this thread.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Thanks, Jamie, but I don't mind the name change, so I'll just
    stay hisongz. Still love my Jade, though!

Ron

I have been playing my F-5 prototype #11 for several month now, I must say it keeps getting better over time. I have played many 3-5000 mandolins and this one sounds as good or better than them. In fact, I have been so happy with it, Bob is currently building me a F-5 Birds-Eye Custom These mandolins are being made by some of the best craftsman I have ever encountered. I used to think of anything that came out of China was junk. These Jades have totally turned my way of thinking on my ear.
    I hear there will be some Jades at the Arlington Guitar show for purchase on the 18-19 of October if anyone has an interest, take a gander and bring your greanbacks, I guaranty once you play one, you will want to take it home with you. Look, don't take my word, play it, inspect it close and decide for yourself. I did and I own one with another coming.
    ''Life's tough.....it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
    ~ John Wayne

I should have noted that my proto#4 is also an F-5 style. The violin
    varnish job is superb, and like Tex, mine just gets better and better!

Ron

I'm going to try to make it to the show in Arlington, if nothing else to check out some of these mandolins in person. I still kick myself for not buying that one online (I think it's the one Peace&LoveCowgirl ended up with, if I'm following things here correctly). I contacted Bob via eBay and he offered a really nice price on that one, but I let it get away for some reason. But I also knew that if I had went with that one I'd have always wondered about the Eastman. I'm just glad someone is enjoying that beautiful Jade mandolin!

Ed Dye here in Abilene has a Jade posted for sale on the classified section.

I saw and played this mandolin yesterday. SWEET!!!, It has a great fit/finish as well as what you would want in a mandolin- mellow woody tone and lots of volume!
    Someone is going to get a great mandolin at the price he is asking (not enough).

If I didn't already have one on order, I would have brought this one home last night!

Ad Number: 30471
    ~ John Wayne

Who is going to have the Jades at Arlington? May have to drive down and check them out.

Mike

Who is going to have the Jades at Arlington? May have to drive down and check them out.

His name is Ed Dye, last I heard he was going to have a booth there with some guitars her has made and some Jades that Bob is sending to him.
    ~ John Wayne

Just spoke with Ed Dye, He is not going to have a booth at Arlington after all.
    Sorry ):
    ~ John Wayne

Too bad, may go anyways and check things out? get outta town for awhile.

Thanks for checking

Mike

Hi all,

A quick note to the people who were kind enough to send me pictures of their Jade mandolins for the Jade website.

Sincere apologies for the delay in posting your photos to the site. I've been having problems getting them to display. Problem is now solved and the pics will be up soon.

For the technically-minded, the problem was that the fella I asked to resize the images for me somehow managed to change the image mode from RGB to CMYK in Photoshop. Took me forever to figure out why the pics weren't displaying in browsers. Doh... I am clearly an idiot.

Thanks again for the photos and your patience.

Ron,

Some of your photos of prototype #4 are up on the site now.

Many thanks, and sorry for the delay!

http://www.jademandolins.com/mandolintestimonials.php

Thanks, Rick! Hey guys, take a look at my Jade.

I love this mando.

Ron

There is currently a Jade F-5 on sale in the Mandolin Café classifieds (http://mandolincafe.com/cgi-bin/clas...uery=retrieval). I'm interested, and, while I trust that the boosters know what they're talking about, I'm wary of purchasing an instrument I've never tried. Does anyone know of a shop in the Boston area that sells these?