Thread: Any pickers in the Durham, NC area?

Default Any pickers in the Durham, NC area?

Any folks out there near Durham, NC? Also, any good picking sessions in the area? I've recently moved back to NC after moving around the country for 5 years and am looking to find some folks to play music with. My interests are bluegrass, old time, acoustic jazz, etc.
    Thanks!

Dan J

Default Re: Any pickers in the Durham, NC area?

Dan, there is a quite active Old Time scene in Durham and Chapel Hill. Living in Raleigh, however I usually only see these folks at festivals. Fiddlers Grove is coming up, I know that a number of folks attend this.

http://www.fiddlersgrove.com/

Check with High Strung Music, I think they have an Old time session (beginners?) at least once a month.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

If you're willing to drive a bit, I was thinking of starting an evening jam some convenient day of the week at Jesse's in Carrboro.

Hello Dan, you might like to check out the Pine Cone bluegrass jam at the Busy Bee in downtown Raleigh. It's the 2nd and 4th Mondays of the month, so it's on next week. Starts at 7pm and runs solid until 10 usually.

Zack
    Member since 2003!

Dano,
    for oldtime jams, there is one every tuesday night that alternates between Solterra in Durham and The Depot in Hillsborough. Another takes place every thursday night at Frosty's, west of Carrboro. During the school year, there's one on Wed night at the Nightlight Club in Chapel Hill. There's a listserv for other events, which I'll pm you about. But now that it's summer, things slow down as a lot of folks head to festivals...

ALso, there is a weekly bluegrass jam on Sundays at the very cool Haw River Ballroom in Saxapahaw. Check it out. They rotate from Old Time to Bluegrass to Jazz to Rock, etc...