Thread: 1923 Loar Fern on Ebay? Is this for real?

Default 1923 Loar Fern on Ebay? Is this for real?

Has Gruhn gone to selling LPs, comic books,jewlery and dolls along with his Loars on ebay? Sure looks like it to me. He still has this '23 Fern Loar on his website at $225K , yet you can Buy It Now on Ebay using Paypal for only $217.5K with FREE shipping and no sales Tax if shipped out of Tenn. Could this be a big time scam?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-July...item35bbb2bb30

Default Re: 1923 Loar Fern on Ebay? Is this for real?

From the text it looks like they claim to be the instrument owner, who has it consigned to Gruhn.

This seller has some great instruments and a whole lot of other stuff. A ton of sales as well. I do believe this to be the gentleman from Atlanta.

Might this be the same mandolin? I'm certainly not an expert.

Tom, Gruhn has it reduced to $207,500

In the mandolin archive. 73755.

A Google of the street address turns up some interesting businesses. I think when Mitch was selling as Oldrailroadantiques he had all the other stuff as well.

Mitch Simpson Chevrolet in Cleveland Georgia. Good times

Blog Entries

Oh, I *almost* bought it. Just couldn't bring myself to do it. I mean, who doesn't buy their Loars off of eBay? Chance of this selling on eBay: pigs will fly first.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cart.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	85725

At the end of the auction writeup it gives the sellers name and location as: Ebay id BRSZ-2)
    578 Arbor Hill Rd.
    Kernersville, NC 27284
    1-800-344-9103

Could be a scam or it could be real. There's a phone number call em up and see.

Guys; I do not think this anything to do with Mitch. The seller is an "Antiques Roadshow" type of travelling appraisal, purchase and resell kind of a deal, based in NC.
    I have bought a few things from them in the past, including a 1924 Tenor Lute, and some really fine vintage watches for my wife.
    They got very lucky, and turned up that Loar, which, BTW, has had a lot of work done on it to get it to that state.
    Check their ebay store, they have a lot of different stuff, and, I have found them to be very good to deal with.
    However, I agree with Scott as to the probability of selling on ebay. I think they are just trying to advertise to a larger audience. You never know.
    BTW, I have known and dealt with Mitch for a number of years, 15 or more, and I sense people feel he is somehow evil, or something, from past posts on this site. Not at all.

Blog Entries

I don't think it's a scam either. I just think some sellers see eBay as a unique way of advertising product and nothing more. They don't realistically expect someone to buy it there. Randy Wood does the same with his magical $45K mandolin that's always on eBay. Nothing against Randy. I played a RW mandolin for 16 years back in the dark ages and got to meet him once--great guy. Lots of eyeballs on eBay and listing it when they offer free listings is a lot of free marketing.

Blog Entries

Here's a response from Gruhn Guitar this a.m. from an email I sent them about this conversation:

Thanks for the heads-up. The mandolin is still here on consignment. The owner/consignor put it on eBay to get folks talking about it. For better or worse he is getting his attention.

Martinsville, Indiana formerly of Brown County

I have noticed a certain sense of paranoia on the Cafe about some of these listings and some of the sellers etc. Not everything on ebay is a scam and Mitch Simpson isn't a crook.....but that said you have to be smart about buying and selling ...ask questions and use do diligence ....

and Tom is having a laugh about poking this brush pile and watching the rabbits run out with his starting post....

If you going to invest a quarter of a million on a Loar then I would guess that you are smart enough to investigate the issue.

Blog Entries

I would think the Paypal fees () on that would be not far off Gruhn's commission...

If it is Mitch Simpson, yes... I bought a prewar Martin OM from him some years ago. He has had a lot of unusual and rare stuff pass through his various 'interests' - and I'm not talking things with 4 wheels.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Well actually one should always do due diligence. A simple Google search can turn up things that might make one rethink their position. A more in depth search finds all kids of information. I rarely post everything I find and certainly not in this case but then again, I'm simply a rabbit.

Blog Entries

Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

Really --if you buying something for $200,000 do you think that maybe you fly to where ever it is before you fork over the cash?
    It doesn't matter how it's advertised -- ebay or from a dealer, if someone wants it and can afford it they're going to it or someone is bringing it to them at those prices.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    This seller has some great instruments and a whole lot of other stuff. A ton of sales as well. I do believe this to be the gentleman from Atlanta.

Might this be the same mandolin? I'm certainly not an expert.

This may be about as close to a "Loar" sound as I will ever get. It does sound good, better than the other one.
    I have the world in a jug, and the stopper in my hand.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    Well actually one should always do due diligence. A simple Google search can turn up things that might make one rethink their position. A more in depth search finds all kids of information. I rarely post everything I find and certainly not in this case but then again, I'm simply a rabbit.
    Huh. Had a look at some new info, and... well... I will rethink my statement!

"free shipping and no sales tax"...Oh man that is going to close the deal for me right now. Oh wait......$217,000....thats going to be the deal breaker.

I think we are still confused here about who actually owns this Fern. Some say a place in NC, others say Mitch Simpson of GA while even others say Mitch is working out of NC now. I do know Mitch is not playing that '23 Fern in that video. He is playing a regular mid 20's Fern. Really nice sound from it too. I guess I'm confused too as Gruhn is not saying who owns it but does still have it at his place. Aside from being on ebay whomever owns it I bet the first $175,000 in cash gets this mandolin.

If that is the July 9, 1923 Loar that's in the Archives it should be unique enough to be known by somebody. That guy in NC certainly accumulated a large number of instruments for someone that wasn't a collector of some sorts.

Blog Entries

"no sales tax".... unfortunately, if I bought it I'd be shelling out $39,600 in sales tax!!!! (18% IVA/VAT). Ouch. I think I'll pass.
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

This has nothing to do with Mitch Simpson, and the '23 Fern Loar at Gruhns has always has a middle man/consignor working the deal between the original source and Gruhn. We simply did not know who it was until now. Nothing else to be learned here.
    Darryl G. Wolfe, The F5 Journal
    www.f5journal.com

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Wolfe View Post
    This has nothing to do with Mitch Simpson, and the '23 Fern Loar at Gruhns has always has a middle man/consignor working the deal between the original source and Gruhn. We simply did not know who it was until now. Nothing else to be learned here.
    I can't add much to the the discussion on this Loar but can add to the defense of Mitch. I bought several thousands of dollars of instruments from Mitch in a two years period. All of our transactions were straight up, never caught him bending a description to make a sale.
    His knowledge of Loars is as good as good as anyone in the business. His memory was unsurpassed. I showed him several instruments and before he would have it in his hands he would tell me the serial number. It amazed me because I have trouble remembering my kids birthdays.
    Like an old farmer told me onetime, "the sun don't shine on the same dogs a- - forever." Anyone that's a trader knows there's a lot of ups and downs in any business. Mitch is a little down on his luck know, but hopefully he'll get everything worked out and be back.

OK, let's read back through the thread. The first person that mentioned Mitch Simpson and the word Crook was someone defending him, from what I don't know because nobody was accusing him of anything. Feel free to read the entire thread. Nobody has said he was. I had a single dealing with him and it was fine. I mentioned "it might be" him simply because he was selling instruments and collectables at one time on eBay and attempting to do it in a big way. It's the same mix, simply that. With that said, before we all jump up and defend someone, do some research, not on the cafe, on the web. I'm sure he's an honest guy but things happen in ones business life that change things forever. I'd buy from him today if he was selling something I wanted. I still don't know how this guy in NC managed to rack up all the vintage inventory (of all kinds) he seems to have but he has. Darryl obviously knows where this mandolin has been and I accept the fact that if he says it isn't Mitch, it isn't Mitch. If you want to search all Mitch Simpson threads you will see a pattern emerge with my posts. Feel free to do that.

For anyone interested, take a look at this thread.
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Apr-30-2012 at 7:51pm. Reason: Fixed typo