Thread: I am BLOWN AWAY by my new Lafferty!!

Default I am BLOWN AWAY by my new Lafferty!!

I just got a new Lafferty LA-5W (A style, f holes, wide nut) from The Mandolin Store, and it is amazing! I have purchased several nice mandolins from Dennis over the years. Like a Custom Weber Bitterroot, Breedlove FF, Ratliff R5, and Kentucky KM-1000. These were all exceptional mandolins, and perfectly setup, but this Lafferty is in a whole other league. This model Lafferty is beautiful in it's simplicity. I love the dark brown. It almost looks vintage. And honestly, all of my other mandolins have been really sharp, snazzy mandolins, and have always had a scroll. So going to a somewhat conservative looking A style was quite a change for me. In fact, it would be fair to say I was a little hesitant. But Dennis told me that he thought this Lafferty sounded as good if not better than mandolins he has at three or four times the price, so I said, ok ship it. Fit and finish is impeccable as has been noted of the Lafferty's elsewhere on the Cafe. And I have to say that this Lafferty sounds better than any mandolin I have ever played, let alone owned. In the past I have had pickups installed and amped a couple of my mandolins, so that I could hear myself and be heard. But this Lafferty is so loud that I can hear and be heard acoustically. . . even when I am playing with a group including a solid body electric guitar and a banjo with a microphone through the pa. And the tone is awesome. Very woody, great lows, sweet trebles, and an amazing ear splitting bark when you want it. All of this, and it plays so easy. Well, needless to say, I am in love with this mandolin. No scroll, but it's really all about the sound, right? And this one has it in spades! It reminds me of a sleeper hot rod. . . you know, the kind that nobody really notices, and then it blows away the gorgeous high dollar exotic sports car. I still pick it up just to pick a little and make sure I am not dreaming. Do yourself a favor if you are in the market. . . call Dennis or Brian at The Mandolin Store and check out a Lafferty. Awesome mandolin, awesome service, awesome people! (NFI)

Bruce
    Last edited by bmm5255; Apr-27-2012 at 9:10pm.

Default Re: I am BLOWN AWAY by my new Lafferty!!

Congratulations, Bruce!! It's wonderful to find an instrument that really speaks to you. Sounds like you got a fine mandolin.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Are you trying to say that you like it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bunting View Post
    Are you trying to say that you like it?
    I agree, Mike. Some clarification on that point would be useful.

Congratulations. That is cool! Have a blast playing the new ax.
    Best Regards,

Ronan

www.mandolinyogi.com

Mike / Ron - Too much praise going on there. Methinks he hates it. Bruce,'double' congrats.on your new instrument. It sounds like we might have a new contender for top 'mid-price' Mandos. Also,you couldn't have picked a finer store to purchase from.The Mandolin store (& credit where it's due - 'Folk Musician'),have terrific reputations on here for service & set-up,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Yeah, I kinda like it. I was concerned that I hadn't gotten my point across. LOL. Now if I could just play at a level befitting a mandolin of this caliber! Oh well, it sure will be fun trying to get there. After all, it's the journey, not the destination.

Oh, I meant to include this in my first post: I would have to say that my wife is never thrilled about me spending money on a new mandolin, but after I had played this one a bit, I asked her what I should do. She said, "You don't have a choice. After hearing The Lafferty, you have to keep it." (Paraphrased) My wife encouraging me to buy a new mandolin is about as strong a testimony as you could possibly get.

Bruce
    Last edited by bmm5255; Apr-28-2012 at 8:12am.

Congrats on the Lafferty, Bruce! Those are fine instruments at a nice price!

Thanks Patrick. Hey, I just checked out your website. Loved "Collard Greens." Great song and performance!

I liked the looks of the oval. (NFI)

Blog Entries

I was eyeing the ovals myself recently. Pretty reasonably priced. Did the folks here ever figure out who/where these are made, or is that a forbidden topic? Don't throw a shoe at me. If there was something after the original discussion, I missed it.
    '20 Ellis A5 Tradition, '09 Gilchrist Model 1, “July 9” Red Diamond F-5, '12 Duff F-5, '19 Collings MT2, ’24 A2-Z, ’24 F-2, '13 Collings mandola, '82 D-35, Gibson Keb Mo. http://www.bucktownrevue.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Romkey View Post
    I was eyeing the ovals myself recently. Pretty reasonably priced. Did the folks here ever figure out who/where these are made, or is that a forbidden topic? Don't throw a shoe at me. If there was something after the original discussion, I missed it.
    I haven't seen anymore about who made it or where. I do love the fact that it is made in the good ole US of A. But when I played my Lafferty, and saw the quality of build and sound I didn't worry about who made it.

Oh, and nothing personal against Pac Rim models. As you can see in my original post, I have owned a really nice Kentucky. And, I currently own a nice little Eastman oval. Just like to buy American made when I can.

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by bmm5255 View Post
    Thanks Patrick. Hey, I just checked out your website. Loved "Collard Greens." Great song and performance!
    Thank you!

Yeah, I kinda like it. I was concerned that I hadn't gotten my point across. LOL. Now if I could just play at a level befitting a mandolin of this caliber! Oh well, it sure will be fun trying to get there. After all, it's the journey, not the destination.

Oh, I meant to include this in my first post: I would have to say that my wife is never thrilled about me spending money on a new mandolin, but after I had played this one a bit, I asked her what I should do. She said, "You don't have a choice. After hearing The Lafferty, you have to keep it." (Paraphrased) My wife encouraging me to buy a new mandolin is about as strong a testimony as you could possibly get.

Bruce
    I'm sure your level of playing will improve with inspiration from your new axe!
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Bruce
    Sounds like you married well too. Being as you're a mandolin player, it was probably "up".

Heh heh.

Bill

What a great day, a nice mando and an understanding wife. enjoy it while you can. LOL
    Never give up the opportunity to shut up!
    Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bradshaw View Post
    Sounds like you married well too. Being as you're a mandolin player, it was probably "up".

Heh heh.

Bill
    You're right Bill. I did married up!

Bruce