Thread: Willie Nelson?

Default Willie Nelson?

Does anyone know any willie nelson songs on mandolin?

Default Re: Willie Nelson?

Sure.

One of my favorite records to play along with is Willie's 'Spirit'. Really sparse arrangements of just Willie on guitar, his sis on piano, and Johnny Gimble on fiddle. The tunes are all very straight forward and they're a great place to add some licks without it sounding muddy and too busy.

You can hear some of Paul Buskirk's mandolin/mandola on Willie's 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow" and "Moonlight Becomes You".

Arnhem, the Netherlands; Nanjing, China; Ithaca NY USA

Willie is known for his remake of "All of Me", and that song is analyzed every which way by Don Stiernberg in Vol 11 (3) Winter 2009 Mandolin Magazine. Don explains lots of substitutions which he calls "musical" (e.g. chord subs) and "mandolinistic" (voicings, movement). Not all would work with Willie's version but they are all interesting.

For what it's worth ... I saw Willie with Bob Dylan in Milwaukee last summer at my daughter's request ... and I was completely blown away by him. He goes up there with just a bassist & percussionist and plays the most incredible jazz guitar licks on a classical guitar while singing Country! I walked away with such respect for him as a musician.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Mick View Post
    For what it's worth ... I saw Willie with Bob Dylan in Milwaukee last summer at my daughter's request ... and I was completely blown away by him. He goes up there with just a bassist & percussionist and plays the most incredible jazz guitar licks on a classical guitar while singing Country! I walked away with such respect for him as a musician.
    Thats a great definition of Willie! I also love the fact that Willie is everyones favorite pot head!

JR

Blog Entries

Not sure but I think Willie compsed a song for mandolin once, believe it was called ' If Only I Hadn't Smoked Reefer, Wonder Where I Would Be ".

He's a classic, He's playing Radio City Music Hall in June with Levon Helm, I'm there.
    Live Full, Love Deep

I just saw a TV ad for a new CD by Willie produced by TBone Burnett, and there in the little video snippets was Ronnie McCoury playing mandolin.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    I just saw a TV ad for a new CD by Willie produced by TBone Burnett, and there in the little video snippets was Ronnie McCoury playing mandolin.
    Yessir, I'm looking forward to that one. Willie is a national treasure! Here's a video of one of the songs from that recording:

http://stillisstillmoving.com/willie...raig-ferguson/

Wow, great band and performance on that! Recent Willie albums have been kind of snoozers in my opinion, but this one looks just right.

Blog Entries

Happy 79th Birthday to the Legendary Willie Nelson, an American Icon.
    Here's one of my favorites from Willie:

c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bunting View Post
    Sure.
    Really.

OK - while of course vague questions like this are just asking for trouble, I will say this. Somehow this year the leader of the seasonal Cajun/country/bluegrass band decided I should do more singing - not my strong suit - and what I came up with was "Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain." This became a showcase for me, and tended to go over really well nearly every time. It was great calling solos - we trade a lot, especially with the pedal steel guy, who loves doing this - and putting together these flying-by-the-seat-of-our-pants arrangements was a lot of fun. Besides, I owe a great debt to Willie for his vocal approach, which enables mine - do as much as you can with as little as you got. Willie is a master of this.

Happy Birthday, Willie!
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Not mandolin, but I just worked up a finger-style ukulele arrangement of 'Just As I Am', the short instrumental that closes out The Red Headed Stranger.

Blog Entries

I just taught myself Blackjack County Chains (Aminor) for tomorrow night's jam....
    I think I may do it on Tenor guitar though as I'm still uneasy about supporting myself with something soprano like the mandolin.
    I get closer support from my tenor guitar and I need all the props I can get.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin