Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: More reasons to disdain ...

Default Re: More reasons to disdain ...

Clarinet is an amazing instrument, and it sounds great with mandolin.

For a new spin on the instrument, try to find any of the recordings by Frédéric Paris playing traditional French dance tunes (bourées, etc.). He made some great recordings with vielle à roue wizard Gilles Chabenat and some mind-blowing discs with a clarinet quintet. Very hard to find, but worth the effort. Paris also made about my favorite diatonic accordion recording, which is even harder to find but sublime.

Also check out Edmund Welles and the bass clarinet quartet. Very cool.

And Jack White continues to impress me, even if he still isn't my cup of tea for regular listening.
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

Wow, that Tony Scott thing was really good- I'd never even heard of him.

One thing that did strike me last night was that, if you want to hear the greatest classical clarinet players in this country, you have to be in a big city and buy a $50 symphony ticket. The other day, I was trying to hear an example of the playing of Carey Bell, principal in San Francisco, but the only thing I could find in print is him playing a little bass clarinet in an electronic music thing. A bunch of hotshot 15 year olds have their mandolin recordings on CD Baby, but to hear the country's top pro clarinet players, you're still basically in the 19th century.

Barely any of those guys record anything except in the context of an orchestra. It's just not a part of 'recording' culture yet, I guess. The clarinet – all the classical instruments, maybe – need David Grismans to bring them back into a less genre-specific cultural arena.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Kotapish View Post
    For a new spin on the instrument, try to find any of the recordings by Frédéric Paris playing traditional French dance tunes (bourées, etc.). He made some great recordings with vielle à roue wizard Gilles Chabernat
    I will do that Paul. Last fall I was working with one contra dance caller (who plays melodeon) who was asking whether anyone plays clarinet

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

Papasov is the clarinet player. (Bulgaria, btw)

so much better than Billie Holiday's later version. and Shaw was a true tonemaster.

Quote Originally Posted by SincereCorgi View Post
    you're still basically in the 19th century.

Barely any of those guys record anything except in the context of an orchestra. It's just not a part of 'recording' culture yet, I guess. The clarinet – all the classical instruments, maybe – need David Grismans to bring them back into a less genre-specific cultural arena.
    Vestige of being integrally associated with "legit" music ; ). I suppose that until cl finds itself moving units" and selling venues (jazz still does not count), it will continue to be slim pickins'. Accordian seems way ahead on this front

Love seeing and hearing instruments--so relegated--reemerging and being put to good use

Registered User Justus True Waldron's Avatar

I just remembered I DO have an example of me playing clarinet with... a mandolin! The crazy music video I did for fun back when I used to play with my ex-girlfriend's band... Kind of sad for me to watch this now, but I'm still impressed with what we managed to pull off. I had literally learned the song a couple hours before, and we filmed it in this school gym/auditorium place we played at and they let us stay the night at. All the costumes and props were there.

- 2004 Macica A
    - 1952 Selmer Centered Tone
    - Eastwood electric mandola
    (and lots more)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SincereCorgi View Post
    – need David Grismans to bring them back into a less genre-specific cultural arena.
    While I agree, I doubt that would make them more main stream. Just broader obscurity.

What I mean is, for that David Grisman has done for the mandolin, still more people (in North America) recognize a clarinet when they see it than a mandolin. I.e. Dave, and Thile after him, haven't even moved the mandolin to the notariety of the clarinet. And even with that amount of recognition, the clarinet is relegated to a small niche of music.

I think clarinet is great with strings. The tone of a clarinet against a mandolin can be wonderful. I also like the double reeds against the strings, oboe/english horn/bassoon against mandolins can be really effective.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by terzinator View Post
    I kept waiting for a mandolin to come in
    HA! That's funny. I keep wanting to cut his hair : )

Quote Originally Posted by Justus True Waldron View Post
    I just remembered I DO have an example of me playing clarinet with... a mandolin!

I love that, Justus! It's wild and it's well-done. Nice and clear, better than a lot of so called "top" professional recordings and videos these days.

Quote Originally Posted by mandocrucian View Post
    Papasov is the clarinet player.

Shaw was a true tonemaster.
    Papasov is monster

I'm not much on Shaw's bio, but didn't he start out on alto sax? It's much more uncommon to go from sax to cl than it is going from cl to sax

Paul, I started with a little youtube search (of course) and the first thing that came up was a schottische I play (on melodeon) -- Le Canal en Octobre ... didn't know it was by Paris

I would throw in the use of uilleann pipes on U2's "Tomorrow" as one of the all time great uses of a weird instrument in a rock song. It's mournful tone is completely appropriate for the mood of the song and the spare arrangement. There is not a clip available of that song, but, as you can see, uilleann pipes are right up there in the Very Weird Instrument hierarchy.

You can really hear that a lot of the effects that Celtic fiddlers use come from this instrument.
    Object to this post? Find out how to ignore me here!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JonZ View Post
    as you can see, uilleann pipes are right up there in the Very Weird Instrument hierarchy..
    Except in Irish traditional music.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Time to post another of my favorites. Hearing Mr O'Flynn did indeed change my concept...been pursuing this feeling since--mostly hammered dulcimer and concertina for the drones, but then got the gurdy

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Except in Irish traditional music.
    It may be common in Irish traditional, but any pipe you don't blow into with your mouth, but rather squeeze with both elbows, and lift up and down off your leg, and has regulators and drones, is pretty weird.
    Object to this post? Find out how to ignore me here!

In the realm of traditional "rustic" folk instruments, there are some goodies, such as the predecessor of the vielle à roue; times were, this would make you wanna get up and dance...(maybe if granny oiled her crank?...or perhaps this is early trompette )

I don't know much about much, including clarinet, Klezmer, or black and white youTube videos, but I cannot abide disparaging remarks about Jack White and having him refered to as "pop." Jack is a force to be reconed with in ROCK and ROLL. He has built his repectable career from the ground making music his way and smashing convention the whole way through. If you want to hear some of the best current rock music you just need to follow Jack's projects. The White Stripes (although never really stuck for me personally) put rock music back on track in terms of purity of heart. The Racontours is an amazing band, and the Dead Weather is top knotch rock music. He now has a solo thing out with a single "Sixteen Salteens" that's pretty BA.
    So there!

Of course you are quite right joshtree...but for these (and other) reasons jack evokes displeasure among some. For some vivid examples, see the infamous "jack white" thread -- I think it reached some 9 or 13 pages before it was shut down

Btw jt, I will add that I think white is doing a harder nuevo zeppelin-esque style as effective as anyone...including his "country" rock foray with miss Loretta
    Last edited by catmandu2; May-13-2012 at 10:43am.

Quote Originally Posted by delsbrother View Post
    Who could forget:

I'd not forgotten...as I'd not caught it in 2010. That's a damn fine ensemble, and really great cl/mandolin music. Thanks delsbro

Summer brings alfresco ambience and light melodies...viva la mandolin! (and Mike)