Thread: electric solid body mandola with a scale of 40cm (15.75 inch)

Default electric solid body mandola with a scale of 40cm (15.75 inch)

Hello,

I have a 40cm (15.75 inch) scale mandola. The major advantage of this instrument is that I can use exactly the same fingerings on it as on the mandolin. The major disadvantage of my mandola is that I cannot play it in the middle of the night, because it is too loud. Therefore I am looking for a solid body electric mandola with the same scale length. Any hints?

Default Re: electric solid body mandola with a scale of 40cm (15.75 inch)

If you don't mind doing it for yourself, moongazermusic.com has electric mandola kits that list a choice of 16 or 16 1/2 inch scale length. Just contact Tom at Moongazer to see what else he can alter to your liking. The kits are very modestly priced and almost all predone for easy assembly. Your hardest job will be chosing the finish of the body.

Because of an error, on my part, I wil not be receiving the tax refund I expected so my reduced funds just covered an order for one of his DejaVu mandola kits. I truly do understand the scale length issue because I play viola and if this mandola is as good as I think it will be, the viola may be my second instrument.

Enjoy whatever you end up with.

germano
    _____
    Television is very educational. Every time someone turns it on I go to another room and read a book. .....Groucho Marx

http://www.mandolier.com/norakfj008.html
    John's a talented guy, I'm sure shortening the scale length would be with his capabilities.

Otherwise check out John Taggart, of Tagg guitars fame. Very talented builder, will be able to make you exactly what you desire.
    Hereby & forthwith, any instrument with an odd number of strings shall be considered broken. With regard to mix levels, usually the best approach is treating the mandolin the same as a cowbell.

Quote Originally Posted by germano View Post
    If you don't mind doing it for yourself, moongazermusic.com has electric mandola kits that list a choice of 16 or 16 1/2 inch scale length.
    Thanks for this tip.

They don't seem to offer 8-string mandolas.
    Last edited by dobrek; May-14-2012 at 6:25am.

Dobrek:

It's not a big deal for me. I also play (or am learning to play) a mandolin. MY fingers don't seem to notice that there are only four strings. Your fingers may feel differently.

You may have to make some compromises to play quietly at nite. I practice from about 1~2 a.m. to 5~6 a.m., in an apartment, so I understand. A solid bodied, electric anything with your choice of volume is more important than the number of strings. You'd be surprised how your fingers will adapt.

Another possibility with your current instrument, try a violin/viola shop in your area and ask for a practice mute to fit your instrument. Many violin or viola practice mutes can actually fit a mandolin/mandola and provide much needed lower volume. Not a guarantee but a possibility. Request a practice mute, not a performance mute--very different animals.

I can only practice my viola with a mute every day but my days off. I works for me. YMMV.

germano
    _____

germano
    _____

It's not a big deal for me. I also play (or am learning to play) a mandolin. MY fingers don't seem to notice that there are only four strings. Your fingers may feel differently.
    I don't worry about my fingers. I worry about my right hand. Picking one string is completely different from picking two strings. Especially when playing fast and/or tremolo. I want the electric mandola to be as similar to the acoustic mandola as possible.

Another possibility with your current instrument, try a violin/viola shop in your area and ask for a practice mute to fit your instrument. Many violin or viola practice mutes can actually fit a mandolin/mandola and provide much needed lower volume. Not a guarantee but a possibility. Request a practice mute, not a performance mute--very different animals.
    I already tried several practice mutes. None fitted. And even if one of these mutes fitted, it would be in the way. I would have to use a completely different way of picking in order to not touch the mute.

Eastwood Airline Mandola and a capo? Second fret would be 16.036 inches.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    Eastwood Airline Mandola and a capo? Second fret would be 16.036 inches.
    Good idea! Thanks. Maybe I will do this if I don't find another solution.