Thread: weber bitteroot F syle. thoughts....comparisons

Default weber bitteroot F syle. thoughts....comparisons

I am looking at buying a used 2005 used weber bitteroot F style, in very good shape, well taken care of. The question is how much is it worth, and is it worth buying this mandolin over the loar-700 or kentucky km1000 or eastman md815 mandolins. I know some of you guys have expierence with some of those mandos and would really like to know whats best.

Default Re: weber bitteroot F syle. thoughts....comparisons

I had one. Loved it. I was great. I sold it, but I miss it. It is probably worth $1700 to $1900. Newer ones might be worth more because they changed things up and raised prices. I sold it on consignment and got about $1650 or so with the dealer getting $200. I haven't played the loar, kentucky, or eastman. The Bitterroot remains the best mandolin I've owned. Have you tried one? I found mine to be super light and responsive. Sometimes someone else would play a note that would get my bitterroot to vibrate and sound a note in return without me touching it. I had it setup once a year and every time I picked it up I would smile.

Blog Entries

Weber is an American shop, a good company, and very responsive to all owners. Approval is pretty much unanimous around here, I think.

I bought a Special Edition on consignment, and needed a replacement screw for a tuner button. No charge, and they also were able to tell me the wood source for top and back, from the serial number. Excellent playing feel, feather light.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

Quote Originally Posted by abuteague View Post
    I had one. Loved it. I was great. I sold it, but I miss it. It is probably worth $1700 to $1900. Newer ones might be worth more because they changed things up and raised prices. I sold it on consignment and got about $1650 or so with the dealer getting $200. I haven't played the loar, kentucky, or eastman. The Bitterroot remains the best mandolin I've owned. Have you tried one? I found mine to be super light and responsive. Sometimes someone else would play a note that would get my bitterroot to vibrate and sound a note in return without me touching it. I had it setup once a year and every time I picked it up I would smile.
    The only mandolin i own is a 200 dollar fender. besides a morgan monroe mms8 i played one time, tho not impressed with the neck.

The Webers are my favorites. High quality at a fair price. $1,600 for a good used one is in the ballpark.

You really cant go wrong with a weber.
    Gunga......Gunga.....Gu-Lunga

I'd take a Weber like that over owning The Loar any day of the week. No contest.

Jeff

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by beaverchips95 View Post
    I am looking at buying a used 2005 used weber bitteroot F style, in very good shape, well taken care of. The question is how much is it worth, and is it worth buying this mandolin over the loar-700 or kentucky km1000 or eastman md815 mandolins.
    Yes. The Bitteroot is a truly nice mandolin which you will not easily "grow out of". There was an earlier thread with a comparison of a Bitteroot 'A' to a KM-1000. Not an exact parallel but has some useful insights:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...1000-Blackface

Of the three non-Webers you mention, The KM-1000 is of itself a very fine mandolin... however, if it was a straight choice and I could only have one, I'd definitely go for the Bitteroot 'F'.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

I am one of the most vocal proponents of The Loar's. They are great value for the money. Really on a high level.

Buy the Weber.
    2005 Rigel G5 #2196
    2005 Phoenix Jazz #400
    1988 Jeff Traugott Acoustic #4
    2012 Eastman 905 Archtop Guitar, BLOND!

Remember to grin while you pick, it throws folks off!

I have a 2010 Kentucky KM-254 (my starter) and a 2011 Weber Special Edition Oval hole.

I have played a couple of Eastmans and Kentuckys in the ~$600 - $800 price range. Those mandolins felt very similar to my KM-254 in playing but had a more balanced tone. However, my Weber has yet more fullness of tone and seems to play more easily and hold the tuning better.

Now, I freely admit that my Weber has probably had a more thorough setup in one visit to Gryphon (switch-out tailpiece for Weber armrest + setup) compared to my Kentucky which had a truss-rod adjustment at Gryphon followed by the nut being filled and re-filed by Gryphon on a separate repair visit. This difference in setup likely explains the ease of playing. I have no sense for how this would affect tuning the tuning.

I can say that my Weber gets played far more than my Kentucky. (I haven't learnt to chop yet so maybe the balance will change if I get into more BG music.)
    2011 Weber Special Edition Oval Hole
    2010 Kentucky KM-254
    circa 1930 Stradolin rescue

Another vote for the Weber here.Not only for the quality of their instruments,but for the superb after sales service that they give, which if something does go wrong,can be worth a lot of cash,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I have a bitterroot and like it. Can't say enough about Weber for customer service. Bruce is a different kind of of cat. He really cares about his customers.

It doesn't say where you live but I visited the Weber factory for a tour yesterday in Logan MT. While I was there Mr Weber did a setup on my mando which I bought used a couple of years ago. The tour of the factory was real fun my wife even liked it and Bruce Weber setup my mando put on a new bridge and nut and new strings and only charged me $20.00. How's that for customer service.

Ok thanks guys, i will probably buy the weber.

If you get the Weber and decide you don't like it, I'll trade you for my The Loar LM700 and even pick up the postage for both.

lol sounds like a deal ......

One thing i forgot to mention is that is has cedar top and mahogany sides and back. Is that a major downfall to the all maple version.Does that reduce price worth?

I tried one or two of the older versions with the mahogany sides and I did not like them. I found them too quiet. But maybe that was just me. I have loved other Weber mandos though.

Blog Entries

It won't sound like you may expect a bluegrass mandolin to sound with the mahogany sides. It will be darker and warmer sounding versus the brighter maple sound. Not better or worse just different. Be sure you've help some Webers and be sure you like their neck shape and profile. The prices given above are reasonable in my estimation. You can always ship the mandolin to Weber, have them check it out, set it up and re-certify the warranty in your name, too. Nobody else I know of does that.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

I have two Webers now and will probably buy a third in the reasonably near future (OK, MAS has struck and I'm trying to deny it, but there appears to be another Weber calling to me). I cannot say enough good things about these mandolins and the great Weber people who build them and stand behind them. If I were you, I'd go for the Weber.

Best wishes,

Bob
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

With a cedar top with mahogany back and rims should have a warm mellow sound. I would think it would be good for jazz or ryhthm. If you want a Grasser then go with a maple back and spruce top.

Blog Entries

The cedar top and 'hog combination does mean it will sound quite different than, say, a KM-1000 with red spruce + maple. Really down to your preference, and the kind of music you play. It will work well for some things, others - not so. Cedar topped instruments tend to have a warm sound.. and respond very well to a lighter touch. If pumping out "Rawhide" is your thing, however, it may be worth investigating other options. Can you get to try this mandolin? Or have it on a 48 hour trial basis?
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Get the Weber, you won't regret it, I bought my Bitteroot A5 last December and it's become my favourite mandolin.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

Quote Originally Posted by almeriastrings View Post
    The cedar top and 'hog combination does mean it will sound quite different than, say, a KM-1000 with red spruce + maple. Really down to your preference, and the kind of music you play. It will work well for some things, others - not so. Cedar topped instruments tend to have a warm sound.. and respond very well to a lighter touch. If pumping out "Rawhide" is your thing, however, it may be worth investigating other options. Can you get to try this mandolin? Or have it on a 48 hour trial basis?
    well i dont really have the option of trying it out, but if i dont like it i can always resell it i would think.

How does a gibson f-9 compare to a bitterroot,and is a 2007 lightly used f-9 worth 2300.