Thread: Pre cut nut

Default Pre cut nut

Anybody know where i can get a pre cut zouk nut to fit an old 12string guitar that im converting? Nut needs to be 44mm wide. Roughly 1 3/4 inch

Default Re: Pre cut nut

The best you can do is get a blank near the size you need and fit it to the instrument. Since nuts need to be fit to the size of the slot, the height of the fingerboard and frets, and the width of the neck, and each instrument is different, they can't be supplied pre-cut and ready to install.

Even pre-cut guitar nuts for specific instruments need some attention. Blanks are cheap so fairlure is not a disaster.

In fact I keep a few extra blanks for futzing with my instruments. I also found that nut blanks are pretty easy to cut in half lengthwise so you and have two for the price of one.. Talk about a cheapskate!!!. But I think the nut blanks we can buy are ridiculously large.

Yes, no blank will fit straight of the store shelf, example - we cut blanks and supply them to music stores, they have still got to do some shaping afterwards

http://www.mirwa.com.au/Nut.html

page 3 shows a blank as we supply to them.

oh but the dentist smell when one shapes them!
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band